Will we stay up?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

The fanbase must take some of the blame, you just can't say anything negative about Gary Johnson in the eye's of some, and others haven't protested until now, even then it's not loud enough, so from the fans, to the wet local press, aren't putting enough pressure on dumb and Dumber on the so called local board, and owner doesn't seem to speak English any more.

It's pretty sad, reading back over the the first 5 or so pages of this thread including my own first post, made in early December to go with those made in November, how many of us said, if the club doesn't change course, relegation will follow, no action, no communication, even now staring relegation in the face, all the club seem to give a fork for, is selling Wrexham tickets.

As for the relegation picture. Forget York, they're 9 points plus goal difference advantage ahead of us, a 10 point turn around needed , we're not catching them with the best will in the world.

Yeovil, 7 points plus goal difference advantage, so an 8 point turnaround required there, stranger things have happened in football, but a huge mountain to climb in 10 games, highly unlikely to catch them now.

Dorking 7 points ahead, but we've got the goal difference advantage, so a 7 point turnaround, our only realistic target to catch, but a note of warning here, in their last 6 games, Dorking as we know have beaten us, come from behind to beat Barnet, and picked up a decent 0.0 draw at Halifax, there defeats have come away to Wrexham, Notts, County and Boreham Wood no shame in any of those, their putting up a much better fight than us right now.

Scunthorpe, are on the same points as us, only separated by goal difference, their results are very important, it wouldn't take much for them to be sat above us in the table now would it ?

It's important to support the team right now fully during games, but if you've had enough, time to make your voices heard, at the right time.
Formerly known as forevertufc
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Bottom line is we have to beat Gateshead.
It's as simple as that.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

NoemiDillon
Trialist
Trialist

Post by NoemiDillon »

Thank you for publishing
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

So today’s results mean that we’re one point closer to safety but now have three teams to overtake, one of whom has two games in hand.
And that five teams are fighting to avoid the three remaining relegation places (with Maidstone too far behind to have a hope of safety).
And we now have one game fewer to make up the points.

Minimum five, more likely six wins needed from the last nine games.

An outside chance if we were showing some decent form but very much an outside chance for a team that haven’t won in their last seven games.

Of those nine games, four are against teams who will probably have little to play for and one (Scunthorpe) a relegation rival.
Three of the others are against teams in play off positions. The last, Wrexham, are miles better than us but may well have won the league before the final day.

If we beat Dagenham and Scunthorpe (and possibly even get a point at Boreham Wood) the position will look a little better and we will have some momentum.
Whether we’re able to achieve that is of course highly debatable.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

I guess it’s time to close this thread down
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Obviously we're going down but in terms of mathematics, it's now six wins needed from eight games (probably).

If we were to win at Boreham Wood on Tuesday and Scunthorpe on Saturday we wouldn't be any worse of than had we beaten Dagenham but lost to Wood.

Unfortunately we're not good enough to win the games.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

After losing to Dagenham but beating Boreham Wood we’re probably as well of as could have been expected before these two games.

It was generally thought that to have a reasonable chance of staying up we needed to win 5 or 6 of the last 9 games. With Dorking & Gateshead picking up two wins each it would seem to be 6 wins needed. So now 5 from 7 games.

5 wins would take us to 49 points but with one of the worst goal differences would even that be enough?

Assuming one of the wins is against Scunthorpe we’d almost certainly finish above them.

We’d then need to overtake two of Yeovil, Gateshead, Dorking, Aldershot or York.
(Maidenhead on 47 points are also an outside chance as they have to play us and looking at their other fixtures they could potentially fail to win any.)

It’s hard to work out likely points for the others as there are a lot of games between them.

Yeovil (38 points) have two relegation rivals to play and other games include Boreham Wood & Wrexham.

Gateshead (40 points) still have 9 to play, one of which is still to be arranged, so at some point they’ll probably need to play on a Thursday with 3 games in a week. They have to play 3 of the other bottom sides (plus Maidenhead).

Dorking (43 points) have to play Yeovil & Gateshead and finish home to Scunthorpe who will probably already be relegated by then.

Aldershot (43 points) only have 6 games which include Yeovil, Scunthorpe & York.

York (43 points) have only 6 games, including us & Aldershot, but also Chesterfield & Notts County.

Gateshead & Dorking have found a bit of form but the others are poor / inconsistent.

I think we may need 5 wins and a draw from the last 7 games.

Scunthorpe is yet another must win. Win that and we can start to think there’s an outside hope.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

Last night was a great result, but I cannot see us getting 5 more wins from our remaining games we have left, we'd need to hit promotion winning form, and as good as last night was, it's come to late, and this might sound extremely harsh, we aren't good enough to stay up
Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

I think it is too little too late to stay up after last night’s result.

I think we need to win the next 4, and then beat Altrincham. I cannot see us get anything from the Chesterfield or Wrexham games.

Saturday will be an interesting game, a draw helps no one, so could see a gung go attacking game for the last 20 mins.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by thebigp1 »

Cruisinho wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 11:23 I think it is too little too late to stay up after last night’s result.

I think we need to win the next 4, and then beat Altrincham. I cannot see us get anything from the Chesterfield or Wrexham games.

Saturday will be an interesting game, a draw helps no one, so could see a gung go attacking game for the last 20 mins.
I agree we are too far adrift with not enough games remaining. We have to catch up 9 points on Dorking, 10 on Aldershot and York, 7 on Gateshead but they have 2 games in hand. I’ve looked at these teams fixtures and they all have enough winnable games in there. 5 wins only takes us to 49 points which i don’t think will be enough. Unlikely but we would have to win our next 4 and hope that drags us back into contention.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Scunthorpe is the biggest game of the season. The team might not be great but its stronger than it has been all season.

A win on Saturday with Eastleigh and Maidenhead to follow would give us a glimmer.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

brucie wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 10:06 Scunthorpe is the biggest game of the season.
Every game for the last three months has been the biggest game of the season. Its over, this is as pathetic as the play off challenge at the end of last season.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Big game (again) tomorrow...
Anyway, my good mate forum member and fellow Yorkshire Gull bixieupnorth has been looking at our results and the Professor Frink in him has worked out that we would be 33 points better off if we had managed to get a result after taking the lead in matches... :@
Unbelievable Jeff.
And Bixie.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

We have a glimmer of hope after two brilliant results.

Yeovil go to Gateshead on Tuesday night.

Some big fixtures involving those around us on good Friday. Yeovil go to Aldershot, York go to Chesterfield. I can see York being the one to catch with a potentially massive game at Plainmoor in two weeks.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

Strewth - its the hope that kills you! 'Fraid we are still deep in the do-do and I can't see us getting another 4 wins which will be needed to give us a fighting chance. But well done team on making a go of it.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint