Buckle seen in Bristol

General chat about anything else goes here.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

clemy1989 wrote:i believe the gas fan may be right. my source is somebody on this site who has pm'd me with some information including figures. i wont expose that person but im sure if you pm'd them they would be happy to forward you the same as they told me
That's not very helpful, though, is it? "Somebody here can PM you but I won't tell you who"....so how are we supposed to ask him/her to pm us?!
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

AlexGulls wrote:On a side note to what I said IF (and it is an IF) we go up why would Zebroski (more so than Branston as Branno's contract is up at the end of the season) drop a division?

Though its only a rumour we time will tell weather it happens or not.
I don't really think the concept of 'dropping a division' is as big of a problem for players as it used to be. If another club pays significantly more, most professional players will play anywhere.

Look at Crawley.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Fair point. Though I'm not sure if Zebs would move or not he seems settled down here more so than he has elsewhere. Though as said its only a rumour. We cant really afford to lose Zebs or Branston they would be extremley hard to replace with players as good/better.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

It has a distinctive odour. :Z

Smell it ? :|

It has built up over 15 pages.

GAS !!! :O

It will reach critical mass. :O

Then all it needs is one spark. ;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Well according to Bucks on the OS ....

"We've trained very well and personally speaking I've not come off the phone speaking to the gas at all"

Edited for factuals.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

happytorq wrote: That's not very helpful, though, is it? "Somebody here can PM you but I won't tell you who"....so how are we supposed to ask him/her to pm us?!
Simples Chris, PM Dave with your request and your credit card details and he will release everything he knows :nod:

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Sneapy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by Sneapy »

not too sure if this has been said, but i recon torquay will offer him another contract to keep him here longer, and if this does happen,
then i recon they would offer him a very good contract with a good wage, i know this is torquay we are talking about, but im sure they will find the money, from the fa cup fund possibly?
but if torquay does renew his contract (THEY BETTER) then i recon it will have to be a good one, as other clubs want him and they obviously have the better potential, to do better and with more money etc, etc...
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

Buckle's on a no-lose situation here. If we don't go up, he leaves to a 'bigger' club, gets paid more. If we do go up, we'll probably give him more money - and he'll really be in the shop window in League 1. Do okay, he's a miracle worker. Get in trouble, well, it's only little old Torquay, isn't it.

I do think it's interesting that the gashead (with the emphasis on 'gash') was talking about higher attendances as a reason that they were a 'bigger' club that Torquay, but when confronted with attendances for other clubs he comes out with 'its not attendances'. Hah.

bristolboy
Trialist
Trialist

Post by bristolboy »

Parry wrote: 1. You're not a sleeping giant. Bradford city are sleeping giants. Your city is pretty big but it is shared by a club 3 times the size of yours.
2. Rovers are definately not a championship side, they belong somewhere between league 1 and league 2.
3. That's right, you are a small league 2 club, not "sleeping giants".
4. That's right you're 2 divisions below Bristol City and to everyone who doesn't support Bristol Rovers, that seems a reasonable gap. Your club is tiny compared to Bristol City, always has been always will be. Get over it.
5. Yes rovers are going places, it was confirmed on the 7th may. To your point that reads "be honest with yourselves Torquay will always be at this level", I'd like to bring back point '2.' These 2 points (2 and 5) show the naivety and hypocrisy of you gas heads clear as day. You come onto another teams message board and say how we should be honest with ourselves... after saying that Rovers should be in the championship !! :-/

In summary I'd like to just mention what I've highlighted in red. The reason you will never be a big club is there to see. Your club is tiny compared to city. They have a bigger ground than you (yes you might be getting a new one,but this is yet to be confirmed), they have a fan base 3 or 4 times bigger than yours and they have always enjoyed a lot more success than you. Like I said before, GET OVER IT and stop pretending.
Bristol city fan here

I dislike Rovers as much as the next person, but its fair to say Rovers do have far more potential than most clubs in league two (if not all of them) as they currently live in a beautiful city such a Bristol, and with greater Bristol currently housing over one million people, they would not be short of fans on a regular basis should they ever get any good at football lol. They did afterall take over 40,000 twice in one season to Wembly and do have a hardcore set of 6000 fans turn up regularly, which for league two, is a decent crowd size I believe. Buckle wouldnt be a fool to leave Torquay for Rovers. Sure he could play league one football should you get promoted, but he would earn probably treble what he earns with you lot currently, and have a massive playing budget in comparison to yours which would be very interesting to any manager. He would also get more media attention being with Rovers, and if what said above is true (living in Bristol) would be closer to home. I do agree he may be on a hiding to none though if he doesnt start off on a good note as they have a tendancy to get nasty with their players and managers if things dont go their way :lol:

I would also just like to say (whilst it pains me to say it) we are NOT a massive side in comparison to Rovers. We are a bigger club, no doubt, but we have always had the luck of a big backer behind us. Rovers always seem to have a dodgy milkman running the show for them, who always take take take and never give anything back. They currently play in a dump and are being screwed left right and center by the milkman but we have always been in or around them in terms of league position and history.

Anyway, good luck with your play offs, and if the unfortunate happens and you dont go up, please thump those turds :~D
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

bristolboy wrote:Bristol city fan here

I dislike Rovers as much as the next person, but its fair to say Rovers do have far more potential than most clubs in league two (if not all of them) as they currently live in a beautiful city such a Bristol, and with greater Bristol currently housing over one million people, they would not be short of fans on a regular basis should they ever get any good at football lol. They did afterall take over 40,000 twice in one season to Wembly and do have a hardcore set of 6000 fans turn up regularly, which for league two, is a decent crowd size I believe. Buckle wouldnt be a fool to leave Torquay for Rovers. Sure he could play league one football should you get promoted, but he would earn probably treble what he earns with you lot currently, and have a massive playing budget in comparison to yours which would be very interesting to any manager. He would also get more media attention being with Rovers, and if what said above is true (living in Bristol) would be closer to home. I do agree he may be on a hiding to none though if he doesnt start off on a good note as they have a tendancy to get nasty with their players and managers if things dont go their way :lol:

I would also just like to say (whilst it pains me to say it) we are NOT a massive side in comparison to Rovers. We are a bigger club, no doubt, but we have always had the luck of a big backer behind us. Rovers always seem to have a dodgy milkman running the show for them, who always take take take and never give anything back. They currently play in a dump and are being screwed left right and center by the milkman but we have always been in or around them in terms of league position and history.

Anyway, good luck with your play offs, and if the unfortunate happens and you dont go up, please thump those turds :~D
Oh, how boring, you've come on an posted something sensible and worthwhile. You've foisted shame upon your city :-D

I'm just a bit confused as to where all this money is coming from; I thought Rovers were skint. I mean, we're not exactly loaded but assuming we get promoted our playing budget would increase; and given that Buckle's ambitions are so high - higher than Bristol Rovers, I'm sure - it wouldn't be a bad move for him to stay. I think he'd get more credit and kudos for keeping us in League 1 than he would in getting Rovers promoted; and I don't see Rovers in the Championship for at least 4-5 seasons (and that's assuming it all goes well!).

I know we're getting very hypothetical here, but say we go up, and say Buckle stays, and keeps us up - he could have his pick of League 1 vacancies in 2012-2013, and probably have a fair shot at a Championship team. Imagine if a 'big' side from the Championship came down - he'd be perfectly placed to take that gig.

I'm not here to give Rovers a hard time - to be honest I don't really care about them either way - I honestly cannot see going there as a brilliant move for him if we go up. Of course, if we miss out on promotion, all bets are off and we're in shit street.

bristolboy
Trialist
Trialist

Post by bristolboy »

happytorq wrote: Oh, how boring, you've come on an posted something sensible and worthwhile. You've foisted shame upon your city :-D

I'm just a bit confused as to where all this money is coming from; I thought Rovers were skint. I mean, we're not exactly loaded but assuming we get promoted our playing budget would increase; and given that Buckle's ambitions are so high - higher than Bristol Rovers, I'm sure - it wouldn't be a bad move for him to stay. I think he'd get more credit and kudos for keeping us in League 1 than he would in getting Rovers promoted; and I don't see Rovers in the Championship for at least 4-5 seasons (and that's assuming it all goes well!).

I know we're getting very hypothetical here, but say we go up, and say Buckle stays, and keeps us up - he could have his pick of League 1 vacancies in 2012-2013, and probably have a fair shot at a Championship team. Imagine if a 'big' side from the Championship came down - he'd be perfectly placed to take that gig.

I'm not here to give Rovers a hard time - to be honest I don't really care about them either way - I honestly cannot see going there as a brilliant move for him if we go up. Of course, if we miss out on promotion, all bets are off and we're in sh*t street.
Rovers definately aint loaded thats for sure. They do have some money behind them though (or the board members do), spending money on several managers will tell you that. I think the club is in debt, but this is to their own board members. They loan the club money and then screw them over for several years whilst the club pays them back. They have made literally MILLIONS over the last 20 years, selling some good players but have nothing to show for it. Basically the poor blue few are being robbed left right and center (not that I mind :)). I will be gutted when they eventually get their stadium (if it ever happens) as they could turn them from poor side playing in a dump into a real contender for championship football, and whilst i love the rivalry, i also love watching them mope about below us making excuses as to why they are below us lol.

Buckle could definately do better if he does manage to get you to league one, but if someone offered you a massive pay rise now, would you turn it down to wait and see if another offer comes in a few years time? I know I wouldnt
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

bristolboy wrote:Buckle could definately do better if he does manage to get you to league one, but if someone offered you a massive pay rise now, would you turn it down to wait and see if another offer comes in a few years time? I know I wouldnt
Hey, I might, if I had pretensions to make the super big money and this new offer meant i'd be in the middle of nowhere...

Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

I see DiCanio looks like hes got the Swindon job(bie)
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

Accordingly Mr Buckle is keeping his options open and not commiting to anything until after the play offs and he see's which league we are in and how much money either club is going to pay im.
roverstilidie

Post by roverstilidie »

The deal has been signed! Worst kept secret in football.