What has happened to your wonderful Club?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Distant Gull
Trialist
Trialist
Watches from: The sofa

What has happened to your wonderful Club?

Post by Distant Gull »

This is a genuine question, not taking the piss.

I am from Southampton, so naturally a lifelong Saints supporter, but over the years I developed a lot of affection for your great Club.

Through my childhood and teens, we rented a holiday apartment in Exmouth every spring, and I have so many fond memories of visiting the area. My Dad and I were regulars at The Dell and later St. Mary's, so we used to miss our football fix when we came away for two weeks. At first, as it was just a short bus journey away, Dad decided to take me to Exeter to see a game (sorry about that), but as a kid, I didn't like the atmosphere there, and the city itself was not much to write home about either.

Next year, as it happened, City were away when we came down, so we had to look further afield for our footballing day out. I was given a choice of Plymouth or Torquay, and fortunately, I made the right choice. :)

I instantly loved Torquay on my first visit. Such a lovely, traditional English seaside town. Couldn't get much different than Exeter or even Southampton for that matter. And I was hooked. Loved the kit, loved Plainmoor, loved the friendly welcoming atmosphere. And from that moment onward, every year we came down on our holiday, the first thing we would do is see if the Mighty Gulls were at Home for our visit.

So many wonderful trips over the years too see Torquay, that absolutely made our holiday for us. We both became firm secondary Gulls (though loyalty is very important, so Saints still always came first). But your lovely town and wonderful Football Club became very important to us. I would look forward weeks in advance to the coming of Spring, as I knew we'd be going to see the Gulls again.

Childhood passed, but I never lost the buzz for Torquay. All through my teens we kept up with our annual appointment at Plainmoor. So tiny compared to the Premier League grounds I was used to, but there was something special about the place for me. Eventually into my early twenties, the lease on our holiday apartment expired, and it was decided we could no longer afford the expense, but Dad and I decided that we could not give up our trips to watch the Gulls. They had become very special to us, and something we just loved doing together. So we'd look ahead at the fixtures, and book a weekend stay somewhere in Torquay so we could still keep ,up our easter tradition.

Our visits continued into my thirties. Eventually Dad could not make the journey anymore due to deteriorating health, so for a couple of years, I just came down on my own. The only thing that finally curtailed my visits was a nasty accident that left me with a damaged spine. Whilst I can still walk, any kind of travel over more than a short distance is no longer an option for me. So, with great sadness my nearly thirty year adventures with United came to an abrupt end.

These days, I still spend my Saturday afternoon's enjoying the football with my dear old Dad, but nowadays it is from the comfort of his lounge, as we keep up with events on Sky in the wonderful company of Jeff Stelling, and to this day, the Torquay goals still get nearly as big a celebration as the Saints ones.

Your Town, and your Club left a lasting impression on us, and it genuinely brings me great sadness to see how far you have fallen in recent years. :(

I just don't understand it. For a great town like Torquay, filling Plainmoor every other week, with even a half decent level of investment, you really should have been able to support an established League One level Club. In my younger years, I was absolutely convinced that one day we'd be coming down to watch a stable Championship Club, in a shiny new 20,000 seafront Stadium, like a sparkling jewel on the English Riviera.

I guess part of the current struggles have a lot to do with how strong the National League has become these days. With so many pretty sizeable former Football League Clubs down there now, there really is not that much difference quality-wise between the bottom half of League Two and the top half of the National. But for a club of your stature to fall so far as the NLS, doesn't seem real to me. When you bounced straight back up in style, I assumed it was just an unfortunate blip in your history. But to see you struggling so badly again this year, and on the verge of dropping back, down there again, there must be some deeper kind of rot at play.

Doesn't even bear thinking about that soon you could be playing Exmouth, where it all started for me.

I really wanted to understand what has happened. How you have fallen so far, so fast. I've tried looking for answers online, but not come across anything definitive. I though who better to ask, than the diehards who have been with the club through it all.

So, how did it come to this???

Please be as detailed as you like in your replies. I will read all of them, no matter how long (if they are well formatted and not wall of text). I just want to understand what has happened to that lovely sunny football club that has brought me so many happy memories over the years.

Thank you very much for your time, and sorry for the long read. :)

Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

In truth we’re just a small team in Devon ………. !
Stoneybroke
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoneybroke »

Thanks for your great read Distant Gull.

Unfortunately we..the supporters haven't got a clue as to why we are in the dire position we find ourselves at the moment

I think the majority of the fans feel that the 'invisible owner' has a lot to do with it ,possibly not giving Gary Johnson a very minimal budget to work with.

The end result is there for all to see, and it's looking ever likely that we will be relegated this season

Just sorry I can't be more positive and wish you well for the future
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

So, how did it come to this???

It's been years in the making due to poor ownership and financial mismanagement. The lower leagues are rife with such former league clubs who have fallen from grace. And it can be a long haul back. Take Barrow whose demise saw them spend 48 seasons in the top two levels of non-league football before their return to the football league. I'm afraid there is no magic wand to cure the ills we just live in hope.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

Good post by Distant Gull, but this position TUFC are in has zero to do with this season really, this has been YEARS in the making,years...Gulls have already played in NLS in their history, the club is a small club deep down, not really much to shout about, there's no infrastructure at the club with youth/reserve set up, players don't hang around, I really do think our lack of history and not really winning honours hasn't helped us out, even when we were in the old Div 4 it was a hard slog, constant battles to starve off relagation, if you look at clubs who Gulls use to play against, many have either gone bust and reformed, many have kicked on and a few even played as high as Div2/championship level, we've sadly got left behind, our location dosent help us, the stadium in recent years is better, in the 80's like most of that era, it was run down and pretty awful..The club has graced Wembley many times, has a decent core support, and has had some good players play for us...many people who live in the Bay aren't from Torquay, so they don't follow Torquay, as their club, it's not easy, Premier League and champions League it's all "glitzy and glamorous" it's hard for clubs like TUFC to survive, that penalty miss at Ashton Gate in the play off final, that has set off a huge downward trend with ultimately relagation back to NLS on the cards,
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 17:52 many have kicked on and a few even played as high as Div2/championship level,
Some teams even play higher.

In the 70's the likes of Aston Villa, Fulham and Brighton were are rivals.

We beat Villa 0-1 in our first encounter at Villa Park in front of 40,000 and leapfrogged them into third place. The previous Saturday, United beat the leaders Fulham 3-1 in our second appearance on Match of the Day. And we beat Brighton at home and drew away.

You right in we got left behind but its not down to our lack of history.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

It’s an interesting question.

We are one of twenty ex Football League Clubs in the National Leagues. All consider they should be in at least League Two and most like us have League standard grounds and support.

The National League is like a fifth division but with only two promotion places (and until a few years ago only one) it is very hard to get out of.

For a club of our size a spell in the National League isn’t unusual and to be honest we were very fortunate to avoid relegation (or failure to be re-elected), or worse, on many occasions going back to the 1980s.

I think there have been two key moments in the club’s history.

Bynn the police dog and drawing with Crewe to avoid relegation at a time when it may well have led to the club going out of business.

The disallowed goals and penalty misses in the play off final at Bristol, from which the club hasn’t recovered.

Two relegations to the National League, even with a season in the NLS, wouldn’t have been the end of the world if we’d regained our League status. It would be the similar to many clubs of our size.

A second relegation to the NLS will be far harder to recover from.

As to why we haven’t been consistently reasonably successful, I would say bad decisions from owners and managers and that our location is also a factor. Is it coincidence that Barrow, Carlisle, Hartlepool, Workington, Scarborough and Scunthorpe, all at extremities of England, have all struggled?

On a slightly more positive note, we have a good stadium of which the freehold is owned by the Council not Osborne and good core support. Provided we retain Plainmoor I think there will always be a Torquay United but at what level we play is unknown.
North Curry House
Skipper
Skipper

Post by North Curry House »

MellowYellow wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 18:43 Some teams even play higher.

In the 70's the likes of Aston Villa, Fulham and Brighton were are rivals.

We beat Villa 0-1 in our first encounter at Villa Park in front of 40,000 and leapfrogged them into third place. The previous Saturday, United beat the leaders Fulham 3-1 in our second appearance on Match of the Day. And we beat Brighton at home and drew away.

You right in we got left behind but its not down to our lack of history.
You obviously were not around in 1970, when we won at Villa Park I was one of the 28099 in attendance, it was my first ever away match. The attendance certainly NOT 40000.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

I hear what you're saying Mellow Yellow, point taken, I can only speak from my era onwards, that's around '83 when I was a young lad first watching, to present day, and we've never been higher than the 3rd tier of the pyramid system (twice followed by instant relegation), this sounds harsh as heck, never won anything, and not really had major FA/League cup runs, we are and always have been a smaller club who've had decent periods throughout our history, but not really enough to showcase or show off about..even in my time, Colchester, Crewe, Stockport, Grimsby, even Burton Albion have graced the championship whilst we've got really stuck in a rut, money plays a huge part in the modern game, I was a big fan of Mike Bateson, but people didn't like him as he was to much of a realist, he knew that we had a decent core of 1800 to 2500, and if it's going well, it could reach 4000/4500, and that's exactly what we were or are...The stint in NLS felt good for some, probably a lot who aren't old enough to know better, that's because we were a big fish in a goldfish bowl, and hammering the Dog and Duck FC felt good, but for me, it felt a bit embarrassing, I still believe we are a league 2 side size of club, but it's doubtful we'll be returning anytime soon.
Last edited by Mr Tea808 on 23 Mar 2023, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Brewers boy »

No money.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

The instability we've suffered from since Mike Bateson sold up.
Firstly the debacle under the charlatan Chris Roberts who tried to buy the club with no money, which directly led to our first relegation into non-league football.
Then the death of Paul Bristow and the collapse of the Alex Rose board leaving the club to Bristow's widow who didn't want to own or run it and the misjudged appointment of a rookie manager when we were fighting relegation back into non-league football again.
Despite a brave effort to keep the club afloat by the Dave Philips consortium there really no alternative to our current owners.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

North Curry House wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 19:52 You obviously were not around in 1970, when we won at Villa Park I was one of the 28099 in attendance, it was my first ever away match. The attendance certainly NOT 40000.
Regrettably around long before that. As my comment was a transience memory recollection from 50+ years ago about our history I stand an applaud you for remembering that long ago the attendance right down to its single digits, whilst I struggle to remember what I had for breakfast this morning.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

What a goal by Micky Cave! I was there!
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

The problems go back well before the current owner but we are now in the position that has killed or nearly killed other clubs, an owner who has interest in property but not football.
The biggest security is that the owner does not have the freehold of the ground, so can’t sell it, leaving us with potentially no stadium, an unsuitable stadium or with the guarantee of any additional income.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

somersetgull wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 21:41 Also didn't help when the supporters trust wanted our current and then new owner bot to take over and run the club.

The hatred for him is a big 2 fingers to them and the club

For example welcome aboard we are desperate we need a new mower for the pitch we need 4000 quid.

They didn't even have that in funds then went on a sulk and hatred still towards the owner who pumps in over a million a year of his own money to keep us afloat.

Football supporter grandeur ruined us long term with the council.

We.will be where we belong soon.
You are definitely the type of bloke that posts on the Devon Live comments section just to have a moan about anything, depressing.