Replacement for Buckle (if he goes)

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

There have only been 2 candidates for me

Lee Hodges , Truro City
Mark Cooper , Darlington

Both have had absolutely fantastic seasons and both have a great knowledge of West Country football
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

MidDevon wrote:There have only been 2 candidates for me

Lee Hodges , Truro City
Mark Cooper , Darlington

Both have had absolutely fantastic seasons and both have a great knowledge of West Country football

disagree middevon.

hodges - no league experience - yes hes been here BUT too much of a risk at this time.
cooper - useless in the league!
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

I would rather be manager than hodges. I have the same coaching badges as buckle. Worth a punt, id be cheap and close to the fans?
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Shit I could do a better job !!

If /when Bucks goes yeah he has signed his contract with the gas ....blah blah ........idiot .....
Lets have some serious candidates for the job. At least we are not a joke club anymore and we should get some decent applicants and not some totally inexperienced cheap stopgap ala Bateson years ......or am i being too optimistic........??
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Dutchgull wrote:sh*t I could do a better job !!

If /when Bucks goes yeah he has signed his contract with the gas ....blah blah ........idiot .....
Lets have some serious candidates for the job. At least we are not a joke club anymore and we should get some decent applicants and not some totally inexperienced cheap stopgap ala Bateson years ......or am i being too optimistic........??
Probably...
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Dutchgull wrote:sh*t I could do a better job !!

They would cost money, Ian Hayman is looking for a cheap option........................
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

We don't want Cooper, believe me. Although he wasn't given a fair crack of the whip at Peterborough, the football he was playing was less that impressive.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Well if we aren't going to offer much in the way of money ... perhaps our best hope might be getting someone for whom money (presumably) really wouldn't be too much of an issue?

How about David James (lives locally) and is presumably at an age where he might be wanting a first shot at management .... could still do a job between the sticks too!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I doubt James would be considered, and would he want to work a whole year for a wage he used to earn in a few days? I doubt it tbh. Hilly or someone of his stature seems to be the best we can hope for. I think he's just too nice and too much of a Gulls legend to warrant the risk of managing us at the moment. If these two are up for suggestion then there's no reason why Hargreaves shouldn't be put forward.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

CP Gull wrote:
How about David James (lives locally) and is presumably at an age where he might be wanting a first shot at management .... could still do a job between the sticks too!
you obviously havent seen some of the howlers hes made for bristol city this season then?
still keeping the faith
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

I believe Hargreaves is already inline for the job.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Southampton Gull wrote:I doubt James would be considered, and would he want to work a whole year for a wage he used to earn in a few days? I doubt it tbh. Hilly or someone of his stature seems to be the best we can hope for. I think he's just too nice and too much of a Gulls legend to warrant the risk of managing us at the moment. If these two are up for suggestion then there's no reason why Hargreaves shouldn't be put forward.
No sure that money would be that great a motivation for James - a 20 odd year career at the very top should mean that he's got more than enough to ever need worry about it ! If he wants a career in coaching/management then unless your name's Roy Keane your probably going to have to "cut your teeth" in the lower leagues and realistically any club at this level would only be able to pay a fraction of what he earnt as a player - so I don't really see it would matter that much to him whether we paid him £50k pa or £250k pa.

No disrespect to Hilly who will always be a legend for what he achieved on the field but are you seriously suggesting he might be a contender as Manager Dave? He has no managerial experience, no real coaching experience as far as I am aware and with a career spent at TUFC hardly any contacts within the game! Lovely guy too, which really doesn't help either!!!!

As for Greavsie, not sure either - great motivator in the dressing room - but perhaps too much one of the lads? Not only that but he seems to be building a career for himself in the media these days as well as starting up in retail. Perhaps more suited to a coaching role rather than a managerial one?

In all honesty if we are determined to go down the cheap route then personally I would rather give it to Branno or as mentioned previously one of the guys who have made a success of managing low profile clubs in the non league like Steve Burr (at Kiddie) or Ian Bogie (Gateshead) or Garry Haylock (Hayes and Yeading).

I also wonder whether we might raid our neighbours up the road again? They have more coaches than Wallace Arnold these days and perhaps one of Andy Tillson, Rob Edwards or Marcus Stewart might be realsitic?
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

usagullmichigan wrote:I believe Hargreaves is already inline for the job.
I know we're looking for someone up and coming that wont cost the earth, but surely someone with at least some actual experience of coaching at L2/BSP level is needed. I would like to see it offered to Shaun TBH. Perhaps its time for him to strike out on his own?
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

bixieupnorth wrote: you obviously havent seen some of the howlers hes made for bristol city this season then?
Ha! What's new ? He's always made his fair share of them tbh throughout his career - but still been a regualr in the England squad for most of it!
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

I'd be seriously concerned if Kevin Hill was being considered. I assume if Buckle leaves he will take his backroom team with him, but perhaps if the board offered North or Veysey the job, they would be tempted to branch out on their own.

To be honest, I can see us getting a lot of experienced applicants and with some out-of-work managers desperate to get back into the game, it may not take much money to attract them to the club. They can't afford to be too picky.