Replacement for Buckle (if he goes)

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
basil75
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by basil75 »

We've been heavily reliant on the loan system every year, thus my worry with an inexperienced manager would be that they simply don't have enough contacts to be able to bring decent players on loan to Plainmoor when we will inevitably need them.

Remember, when Paul Buckle was new and relatively inexperienced, we had Colin Lee on board to help in the contacts respect.

I'm very uneasy about how little we're willing to pay a manager here. A new, contactless inexperienced manager could result in embarrassment in L1, or worse, a long hard struggle at the bottom in L2.
SatNav
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by SatNav »

Would Buckle entertain the thought of joining a league2 club if we get promoted. If so is that ambitious? I live in Bristol so I appreciate the potential at a club like Rovers. I still think it would be a mistake on Buckle's behalf.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Would he entertain the thought?

He already has.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Maybe he is fed up with the way the club handle things and has decided enough is enough!!

After all if we, the fans, are p****d off with the way things are handled, Buckle must be even moreso, especially when he has to put up with it on an almost daily basis.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

His decision to leave was probably made the moment he got told Robinson shouldn't have played. I'd certainly feel my job was put in an awkward position with that.

I don't know who is in charge of the day to day running of the club but whoever it is needs to be looking for a new job, get someone in who has half a brain cell. Frankly, I could do a better job!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Bill Phillips would be that man, although Ian Hayman is controlling the pursestrings right now.
Dave

cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

The money isn't so much a problem, we know we're skint. It's the general running of the club and the decisions the club takes that are the problem.

Am I right in thinking that Ian Hayman is the guy who made his money in building?
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Are you saying he's into counterfeiting? :rofl:
Dave

devington
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by devington »

scottbrehaut wrote:Maybe he is fed up with the way the club handle things and has decided enough is enough!!

After all if we, the fans, are p****d off with the way things are handled, Buckle must be even moreso, especially when he has to put up with it on an almost daily basis.
Totally agree with this. Having had a bit of an insight into some of the going-ons at the club there is no doubt that some of the behaviour of certain people has without doubt prompted his decision.

The board had the opportunity to keep him, they were told the figures (wages and playing budget) that would have kept him at the club but in their wisdom decided not to give him what he had asked for. The figures were not excessive but there seems to be an agenda at the club now to save money at every opportunity despite the fact it could have a major detrimental impact. Does anyone really believe that the club will replace the coaching staff like for like when they move on? It is too much of a money saving opportunity.

I cannot believe they would consider someone such as Hargreaves or Hilly as neither have any experience in management whatsoever. It is a total recipe for disaster. Wes Saunders was a prime example of this. Sadly Wes is remembered as much for his dire spell as manager as his outstanding playing time with the club.

As a consequence of some of the decisions taken at the club over the past few months we could find our playing squad shorn of

Zebroski
Branston
O'Kane

Permanent replacements for Benyon and Wroe

as well as the current loanees who have provided valuable contributions over the past few months.

We should be looking forward with hope towards the weekend and the possibility of producing quite a magnificent achievement.

Sadly the current situation at the higher end of the club is overshadowing this.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Buckle had no experience either, apart from a short stint as assistant to Tiswas. That said, I'd rather we had Hargreaves than Hilly, who is a serious contender.
Dave

devington
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by devington »

Southampton Gull wrote:Buckle had no experience either, apart from a short stint as assistant to Tiswas. That said, I'd rather we had Hargreaves than Hilly, who is a serious contender.
Buckle had been Tisdale's number two as you point out, so had some experience but what I should have said is I hope they don't consider anyone without any previous managerial experience. I do fear however that is exactly what will happen.
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Southampton Gull wrote:Buckle had no experience either, apart from a short stint as assistant to Tiswas. That said, I'd rather we had Hargreaves than Hilly, who is a serious contender.
I thought he had 2 years there starting as player/coach under Ingy and continued as coach/assistant manager under Tis? Thats not really no experience Dave, as opposed to Greavsy or Hilly :whistle:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Fletch, player/coach? Are you kidding me? That has zero to do with MANAGING a club.
Dave

Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Southampton Gull wrote:Fletch, player/coach? Are you kidding me? That has zero to do with MANAGING a club.
So coaching the team/deciding tactics etc isnt one of the primary aspects of being a football manager?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Do you seriously think a player coach can say he has experience as a Manager? Don't make me laugh.

Buckle had experience in a short spell as "assistant" to Tisdale which is what I said. Your argument is just pedantic and pretty pathetic to be honest.
Dave