Replacement for Buckle (if he goes)

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

devington wrote:Totally agree with this. Having had a bit of an insight into some of the going-ons at the club there is no doubt that some of the behaviour of certain people has without doubt prompted his decision.

The board had the opportunity to keep him, they were told the figures (wages and playing budget) that would have kept him at the club but in their wisdom decided not to give him what he had asked for. The figures were not excessive but there seems to be an agenda at the club now to save money at every opportunity despite the fact it could have a major detrimental impact. Does anyone really believe that the club will replace the coaching staff like for like when they move on? It is too much of a money saving opportunity.

If we're quibbling over a couple of k wages then fair enough to moan but the board must be sensible in managing the playing budget and the manager must work within that - is that isn't big enough and he can get bigger elsewhere then it is probably time to move on.

The club lost £600k last year and survived because we had a wealthy benefactor who is sadly no longer with us. This year I expect we will make a small profit but only with exceptional player sales, and excellent FA Cup run and an excellent league season with additional income from the play offs. Even with the success this year our average gate is down 200 on last year.
Too many fans think we should chuck a bit of money here and a bit there on what is a essentially a gamble that we might do well. Too many clubs have shown what happens when it doesn't pay off. Extra money is not a guarantee for success as Bradford, us and Accrington have so clearly shown this year. The aim every year should be to balance the budget and then any additional unforeseen income can be used either midway through the season or the next season.
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Southampton Gull wrote:Do you seriously think a player coach can say he has experience as a Manager? Don't make me laugh.

Buckle had experience in a short spell as "assistant" to Tisdale which is what I said. Your argument is just pedantic and pretty pathetic to be honest.
Chill out Dave, remember your blood pressure ;-)

All im saying is, one season as player coach under Ingy and one season as assistant manager to Tis isnt exactly the same as no experience at all (ie Greavsy and Hilly)
basil75
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by basil75 »

But there was also Colin Lee here when Buckle first came here - who had quite a lot of management experience. I'm not sure how much he was used by Buckle, if at all, but I'm sure he was nevertheless there if Buckle needed anything in the way of an experienced advisor / assistance.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Fletch wrote: Chill out Dave, remember your blood pressure ;-)

All im saying is, one season as player coach under Ingy and one season as assistant manager to Tis isnt exactly the same as no experience at all (ie Greavsy and Hilly)
Fletch, you like to pick other peoples posts to bits rather than make your own points, in this case you clearly didn't read/understand/care what I'd written so please don't try and infer I'm not chilled, as I said previously, being a player coach has absolutely nothing to do with management at all. Stick to the facts, Buckle had little experience, just a spell as Tisdales assistant, far from the massive experience you are prattling on about.

How much experience do you think is required to fill the post the club are offering? How much would that experience cost? Like I said, if they can consider Hilly (and they are) then Hargreaves can be considered as well. Compared to Buckles short term experience up the road I would say neither are far off where he was 4 years ago. To expect us to get a manager with the experience you crave is rather ambitious given what we can afford to pay.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

basil75 wrote:But there was also Colin Lee here when Buckle first came here - who had quite a lot of management experience. I'm not sure how much he was used by Buckle, if at all, but I'm sure he was nevertheless there if Buckle needed anything in the way of an experienced advisor / assistance.

Excellent point Basil. The only thing I would add to that is that for the most part they made each others jobs more difficult.

The problem we face is this: The club have decided they can't afford to keep Buckle due to his "demands", they're looking at cheaper options but what they'll find in the Pound shop is nothing but young ambitious ex-players with a point to prove but no experience. My point is this and this only, if that's what we're aiming for then in my opinion Hargreaves knows the club inside out, has the respect of the players and the fans, he also has contacts within the game due to his massive playing experience and is accomplished in front of the microphone and camera.

If managerial experience is essential then I fear we won't get it with what we're offering, in fact I'd go as far as to say we aren't even looking for it.

I'd rather Buckle stayed to keep us going along as we have been but I think from what I've been told it's too late, so what options do we have?
Dave

Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Hargreaves wouldn't be my first choice in ideal circumstances, but if all we can afford is a "new boy" to the management game then he would be the obvious choice for the reasons Dave states

The other alternative to a "new boy" would be someone from the non-league ranks. Probably come as cheap as Hargreaves but with some management experience, the down side being lack of league experience and possible lack of contacts.

What's Jim Harvey doing these days? How about him with a Hargreaves/Hill type working underneath him? Would this be affordable under current circumstances? (I assume we would be due some compensation for Buckle?)
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I've already said elsewhere that Harvey would be excellent. He's probably the only person I can think of who would do it for the money on offer and fill the other criteria, albeit no League experience. In saying that though, he's produced no end of players who went on to have a good career in the League.

If we appointed him though we would have to skimp on the rest of the backroom staff, the Board won't allow us the luxury of the size of the backroom staff we currently have.
Dave

devington
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by devington »

Jerry wrote:Hargreaves wouldn't be my first choice in ideal circumstances, but if all we can afford is a "new boy" to the management game then he would be the obvious choice for the reasons Dave states

The other alternative to a "new boy" would be someone from the non-league ranks. Probably come as cheap as Hargreaves but with some management experience, the down side being lack of league experience and possible lack of contacts.

What's Jim Harvey doing these days? How about him with a Hargreaves/Hill type working underneath him? Would this be affordable under current circumstances? (I assume we would be due some compensation for Buckle?)
Sadly don't bank on very much compensation. The club would like 125K, they may well end up with very little if any.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Surely there must be someone out of work who'd jump at the chance to get back into league management? There's only so many jobs after all, and clubs below us have appointed the likes of Lawrie Sanchez and Gary Johnson recently.

Or go with the heart and appoint Leroy again. Inheriting a decent squad with some footballers in... ? At least we'd get some good football and the fans would be behind him.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
basil75
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by basil75 »

Would Leroy be inheriting a decent squad though? If speculation is correct, we may be losing the likes of Branston, Zebroski and O'kane. Tomlin, Robinson and Stanley were only here on loan.

Leroy seemed to struggle when it came to signings last time IIRC.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Firstly there can be all the speculation under the sun about Paul Buckle taking half the squad with him,however correct me if i am wrong ,the likes of Zebroski and O'Kane are under contract with our club next season,it will not be as simple as as Buckle wants them so they will go,whilst i do not think our club would stand in there way for one minute,transfer fee's will have to be agreed.

I was led to believe back in january when this Buckle to Rovers speculation first hit the head lines that Chris Hargreaves had put his hat in the ring so to speak,and the club had not ruled him out(speculation of couse)

To me Greavsie would under this cost cutting plan be an ideal candidate,correct me if i am wrong didn't Gereavsie play in whats now know as the championship early in his career,and certianly has been around a lot of clubs,he will in his time have picked up a lot of contacts in the game,probaly more than Buckle,and i think Greavsie could put a decent squad togehter on a limited budget he also has a rapore with the current sqaud which could see most if not all wanting to stay here.

If Buckle goes he is my man for the job.
Formerly known as forevertufc
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

is buckle really that popular amongst the players that they'd want to follow him (hopefully, down) to another club??

hargreaves would get my vote i think, not that there'll be a vote!
still keeping the faith
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

If Buckle to Rovers is a done deal (as everyone keeps saying) and Hargreaves was the man the club wanted, then I would hope they have already sorted a deal with him and he is already working on next seasons squad. If Rovers can do it with Buckle then why shouldn't we do the same?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I agree Jerry, the only thing that's messed that up is us being so successful, that wasn't part of the masterplan, obviously :)
Dave

Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Southampton Gull wrote: Fletch, you like to pick other peoples posts to bits rather than make your own points, in this case you clearly didn't read/understand/care what I'd written so please don't try and infer I'm not chilled, as I said previously, being a player coach has absolutely nothing to do with management at all. Stick to the facts, Buckle had little experience, just a spell as Tisdales assistant, far from the massive experience you are prattling on about.
Dave, if you feel the need to start getting arsey, fire away ;-)
Do also feel free to point out where i said "massive" experience. What I posted was
I thought he had 2 years there starting as player/coach under Ingy and continued as coach/assistant manager under Tis? Thats not really no experience Dave, as opposed to Greavsy or Hilly
Whilst it may not be a great deal in the scheme of things, it was probably sufficient for the board considering where we were at the time.
Southampton Gull wrote:How much experience do you think is required to fill the post the club are offering? How much would that experience cost? Like I said, if they can consider Hilly (and they are) then Hargreaves can be considered as well. Compared to Buckles short term experience up the road I would say neither are far off where he was 4 years ago. To expect us to get a manager with the experience you crave is rather ambitious given what we can afford to pay.
Personally speaking, I would think someone with at least 1 year as assistant manager if we're talking league experience or 2 if we're talking non league would be the very minimum. Neither Hilly or Greavsie even have any coaching experience at BSP level and it would be madness to even consider them IMO (shades of Compo etc again)