Replacement for Buckle (if he goes)

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

cambgull wrote:What makes a good manager is determination, ambition, leadership, tactical knowledge and the ability to make a tough decision when he needs to. I don't care whether someone hasn't had much/any experience, as long as they have the core ingredients needed to become a manager.
Eddie Howe did a good job at Bournemouth, don't think he had much/any previous experience. And Dean Holdsworth will hopefully do as well in the League as he did in non-league. I agree with Camb's quoted bit above. Which means there is only one candidate in my book..........GREAVSIE FOR MANAGER :bow: :clap:
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

exilegull wrote: If returning league football to the bay, playing good quality attacking football and making the play off finals is not enough to spark interest to drive the revenue side of the business then I'm not sure there is much point in throwing more money at it. We now have youth and reserve sides and this where the money is being spent for the long term future of the club. Stockport are a good example of the alternative option.
It certainly makes you wonder when we cant fill the ground for a playoff match. No one can say its not because it wasnt publicised enough when you couldnt listen to local radio, see a local paper or watch the local news on the tv without knowing we were playing, all through the week leading up to it.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Ticketing issues didn't help in that situation either though to be fair although I blame the fact it was televised for keeping many exiles away.

We had a larger crowd for Chesterfield but that wasn't live on Sky.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Fletch »

Southampton Gull wrote:Ticketing issues didn't help in that situation either though to be fair although I blame the fact it was televised for keeping many exiles away. We had a larger crowd for Chesterfield but that wasn't live on Sky.
Dave, Im sure being on Sky didnt help either. Im not on about the exiles though (as I had to be in London myself that day :Oops: ), im on about the apathy of the locals who couldnt help but know there was a playoff game on (and no Greeks or Gargs playing either!).
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

You're starting to sound like Merse. Locals? Apathy?

To be honest I agree but can we honestly say the Club do enough to target new fans let alone keep them?

People of a certain age aren't going to change their habits and start going to Plainmoor, schoolkids are a different matter, entice them and your future fanbase is going to grow.
Dave

RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

My grandfather is testament to Dave's opinion, he stopped going in the 70's and refuses to go ever since, even if I offer to pay - He declined a free trip to Wembley and now he's turned down a trip to Trafford.

Oldies are stubborn, get them while they're young! I think the club should be looking to send someone down to the maternity ward at Torbay Hospital.
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Fletch »

Southampton Gull wrote:You're starting to sound like Merse. Locals? Apathy? To be honest I agree but can we honestly say the Club do enough to target new fans let alone keep them? People of a certain age aren't going to change their habits and start going to Plainmoor, schoolkids are a different matter, entice them and your future fanbase is going to grow.
I think he's a bit before my time on here Dave. I only joined the pre-crash site about 4 years ago, if that :whistle:

I think the club realise kids are the future, hence the clubs excellent offers on the 2 junior tickets, 18 and unders for less than £3.50 a game (though I notice the club web site hasnt been amended to include the u12 offer). In addition, the number of time you see Frank and his team out in the local schools is pretty impressive, they regularly get publicity pics in the Herald.

Whilst I agree that "People of a certain age aren't going to change their habits and start going to Plainmoor" regularly, you would like to think with all the publicity over the playoffs, some would have been tempted to dip their toes into Plainmoor. Its not like it was a wet cold February night !!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Some obviously did or we wouldn't have had over 9000 combined for the last two games.
Dave

AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by AndyC »

What qualifications do our Commercial Department have?

Case rested...
WHG
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by WHG »

Fletch wrote: I think he's a bit before my time on here Dave. I only joined the pre-crash site about 4 years ago, if that :whistle:

I think the club realise kids are the future, hence the clubs excellent offers on the 2 junior tickets, 18 and unders for less than £3.50 a game (though I notice the club web site hasnt been amended to include the u12 offer). In addition, the number of time you see Frank and his team out in the local schools is pretty impressive, they regularly get publicity pics in the Herald.

Whilst I agree that "People of a certain age aren't going to change their habits and start going to Plainmoor" regularly, you would like to think with all the publicity over the playoffs, some would have been tempted to dip their toes into Plainmoor. Its not like it was a wet cold February night !!

Would have to disagree with that statement. He could and should be doing an awful lot more to try to encourage kids to Plainmoor.
My son is just about to finish Year 6 and Frank and his team have never once been to his school which is within spitting distance of Plainmoor.
Frank seems to have his favourite few select schools as the same faces keep appearing in the free seats in the Family Stand year after year.
There are 30ish Primary Schools in Torbay that means each year he should be able to get to the majority of them and persuade the headmaster to get the kids to Plainmoor.
tommygull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by tommygull »

Guy Branston is moving flat. Is he going to Bristol or just moving around the bay?
:( Tommy :)