Support

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

103 and 104 were 'singers' sections. And those were the cheap blocks in a central position. So anyone that didn't want to sing, but wanted a cheap ticket would have had to sit towards the corners.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

come on does it really matter?

is your £26 better than mine or anyone elses?

if they dont want to sing fine.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Fonda wrote:So are you suggesting Dave that anyone that didn't want to sing, should have been told to sit in the corner? Because if you wanted a £26 ticket those were the options - in in the middle with the singers, or in the corners. So why should these 'day-trippers' have been forced to sit in the corners, just to keep the 'singers' happy? We need to attract more fans, and as i alluded to earlier in this thread, our 'ultras' or 'popside singers' or whatever they want to refer to themselves as, are in danger of creating a clique - and that is not a good thing if we want to increase numbers. If certain people consider themselves 'better supporters' than others - based only on the fact that they want to sing and jump around, we're never going to appeal to more casual supporters. And we need to start appealing to casual supporters, because there simply aren't enough regular supporters. What annoyed me most was not the people not singing, it was that people trying to start chants, only to be drowned out because the more regular group of singers starting a completely different chant moments later.

I think you're totally making the wrong assumptions, Shane. Far from wanting to form a clique the aim is to get as many to join in as possible. That's been proved to be possible only if the numbers of singers can congregate together, start things off for others to join in.

I don't think the singers would have minded being the ones in the corner as long as we were able to sit/stand together. As it turned out, the way things were arranged we were spread thinner than a Tescos sandwhich.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Stevenage fans were great on the day and fair play to them.

Any fan who turned up to support Torquay are always welcome - whether thay have not been for 15 years or have been to every game for 15 years. We cannot possibly be selective and will never pick up vital extra regulars that are much needed if we chose to be so.

The club has to take some blame here - for being re-active and not pro-active. This is too often the case with TUFC and is something that definetly needs attention.

I think it if the club had set up a 'loud section' from the very start and sold it as this then we would not be talking about this now. When somebody asked for a £26 ticket they could have given them 2 options - do you want to be with the noisy rowdy lot or do you want to be elsewhere? It would not have been hard to do. If they (which seems to be the case) are just allocating £26 tickets in and around the 'singing section', as it was so called, then this is the reason for the confusion and lack of atmosphere. It cannot be blamed on the fans in those sections who are not into singing and chanting as they are simply filling the seat they have been allocated.

I like to join in with the some of the songs and chants so close to the outskirts of the hub of noise suits me. This does not make me any less of a fan than those in the thick of it. I don't think anybody in this thread is suggesting that so I am not sure what all the aggro is about here?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

Fonda wrote:So are you suggesting Dave that anyone that didn't want to sing, should have been told to sit in the corner? Because if you wanted a £26 ticket those were the options - in in the middle with the singers, or in the corners. So why should these 'day-trippers' have been forced to sit in the corners, just to keep the 'singers' happy? We need to attract more fans, and as i alluded to earlier in this thread, our 'ultras' or 'popside singers' or whatever they want to refer to themselves as, are in danger of creating a clique - and that is not a good thing if we want to increase numbers. If certain people consider themselves 'better supporters' than others - based only on the fact that they want to sing and jump around, we're never going to appeal to more casual supporters. And we need to start appealing to casual supporters, because there simply aren't enough regular supporters. What annoyed me most was not the people not singing, it was that people trying to start chants, only to be drowned out because the more regular group of singers starting a completely different chant moments later.
fair points Fonda but i started chants in row wl103 and was blowing the horn as it was a bit like a funeral party my end and wanted to get things going as the singing section needed support as you could not hear anything our side...
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Richinns wrote:Stevenage fans were great on the day and fair play to them.

I think it if the club had set up a 'loud section' from the very start and sold it as this then we would not be talking about this now. When somebody asked for a £26 ticket they could have given them 2 options - do you want to be with the noisy rowdy lot or do you want to be elsewhere? It would not have been hard to do. If they (which seems to be the case) are just allocating £26 tickets in and around the 'singing section', as it was so called, then this is the reason for the confusion and lack of atmosphere. It cannot be blamed on the fans in those sections who are not into singing and chanting as they are simply filling the seat they have been allocated.

I like to join in with the some of the songs and chants so close to the outskirts of the hub of noise suits me. This does not make me any less of a fan than those in the thick of it. I don't think anybody in this thread is suggesting that so I am not sure what all the aggro is about here?
These excatly the points i was trying to make,its about giving poeple the choice and the information to make that choice,there should have allocated a "loud section"from the start then when any fan requested a ticket for that section imform them that this block is the loud section,then anyone who brought a ticket for this section would have had no right to tell someone else to sit down and cut the noise,or sit there glum faced because they have ended up by mistake in the loud section.

All people have done on this thread is moan and complian about the organization ,and "not" about either the day trippers or non-regular fans,this why despite out numbering the Stevenage fans 2-1 they totaly out sung us,because Stevenage just did a loud block from the start and we did not.
Formerly known as forevertufc
UpminsterGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by UpminsterGull »

Just back after making a weekend of it.

Singing area was a good idea but tickets were sold here to people with young kids who clearly didn't want to stand and sing. Some moved in the first half, but the singers only really got going when some moved to the back of the higher tier at half time. We joined them and the 2nd half was more enjoyable, plus better view - but just a shame about the football.

There were only a few days to sell the tickets, but plans could have been made & announced before the 2nd leg at Shrewsbury. This often happens at other clubs and Torquay should have got organised and if necessary brought in temporary staff.

Lessons should be learned for next time.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

The Stevenage players were up for it from the off and their fans had a drum and were very well co-ordinated. Well done to them!

Torquay didn't give us much to shout about and we were spread out with chants starting all over the place and not really going anywhere. It got better in the second half when everyone moved, but I could barely hear the singers from the corner in the first half. We really missed a trick.

Yet another disappointing aspect to the day, of which there were so many.....
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

forevertufc wrote:All people have done on this thread is moan and complian about the organization ,and "not" about either the day trippers or non-regular fans,this why despite out numbering the Stevenage fans 2-1 they totaly out sung us,because Stevenage just did a loud block from the start and we did not.
Forever, perhaps you might like to read earlier posts on this thread. I will paste them here for you though
I don't want these people on a regular basis. They ruined the experience for me and a lot of other torquay fans
The daytrippers fu*ked me off all day and ruined my day. I would obviously take them regularly because we need the income, however I do feel they ruined the atmosphere at old trafford and contributed massively to the sh*t atmosphere
Seem pretty obvious pops at those that fancied a day out watching Torquay at OT if you ask me...
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

i'm guessing when people applied for the cheapest tickets, they were just sold the singing section on the misguided assumption, that it was the reason people wanted the £26. I wanted £36 tickets behind the singing section, so i could be in/around the singing section, but slightly further back. did i get them ?? did i balls. i was in the corner trying to generate a bit of noise, to little avail.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I think someone must have nicked Fletch's normal spot, he seems mighty angry at those who attend regularly :rofl:
Dave

Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Fletch »

Southampton Gull wrote:I think someone must have nicked Fletch's normal spot, he seems mighty angry at those who attend regularly :rofl:
Personally speaking Dave, I have no particular affinity with people who attend regularly or those that dont. There are plenty of people that either live too far away to attend regularly or, as the case may be, find it difficult to justify the cost involved attending matches on a regular basis, particularly when you take into account a family visit. I certainly dont think they should be vilified by f**kwits who seem to think that the playoffs were laid on for "them" and anyone that attended OT as a special treat is less worthy then "them". Just to repeat one of the comments "The daytrippers fu*ked me off all day and ruined my day". If you think that being a "regular" supporter entitles you that sort of view then fine, you're welcome to associate yourself with that opinion. I think it's pretty pathetic to be honest...
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I think it's pretty pathetic to jump on smithy for his opinion that they pissed him off. He's a regular fan, he's made plenty of trips to see us when he was at Portsmouth Uni and is committed to going as often as possible. If during our biggest game of the year he gets pissed off by "day-trippers" why shouldn't he say it on here? It's just his opinion.

My own opinion is that I'm happy for as many as possible to follow us to any game but I can certainly sympathise with his feelings on it.

Incidentally, before the game started it was like a morgue in WU103, I stood on my seat to start a song to try and get others to join in and an old guy behind me tried to pull me off it and asked me to keep quiet. I found it quite funny to be honest and explained that I was just trying to get some singing going and asked if he saw the Shrewsbury game on tv. I chatted on and off to him and asked him to attend Plainmoor to give it a go because like a lot of us I'm sure he'd get the bug and I'm sure smiffy would have done the same even though he'd rather not have been sat amongst them.

Calling him a **** for being honest enough to say what he said says more about you than him to be honest. It takes allsorts Fletch, the very point you're trying to make is lost in your attack on him. I've got a lot of time for your opinions, even if I don't always agree with them, but this time I just think you're being a bit of a plank. I'm sure I am at times as well and usually I get told pretty quickly, but most of the time I'm just pushing people into a debate because even if I seem to totally disagree with them I might just be trying to get them to share more than they might have intended. I don't have a problem with you at all but that doesn't mean I can't disect your views when I choose to ;-)
Dave

Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

There has been a lot said about the day tripppers and the singers. i for one can understand the way certain folks within the TUFC support fraternity don't like singing. I for one have been told to pipe down because we don't do sining at Plainmoor and was on this site years before many of you complaining about the lack of singing and Plainmoor sounding like a morgue. let alone anywhere else. But there may be an answer among us. The easiest answer to selling tickets in a hurry.
it's not beyond the bounds of possibility for a fan among us to be a real whizz at the computer. There is no reason why this fan could not set up a program to sell tickets for a stadium which could be programed to show the seats at that stadium and then all the club need do is set up a series of terminals in the shop or Boots and Laces with one person overseeing them in each place and then those with cards could buy them online and even specify which area they wanted. All it then needs is to print out a ticket which they can take to the office and the tickets can be ripped out of the relevant books quickly and efficiently. I am also sure that the club could find a few supporters who could lend them computer terminals which could be set up and linked easily to do this thereby costing the club very little. It's up to us to help in anyway we can.
Although I bet if a supporter can be found would he then say. Oh i want a lot of money to do that. Hmm Then it comes right back to the same argument. Cost versus time. in which case our arguments are not worthy. either we help or we cannot expect anything to happen. Some of those in the club are maybe not particular football supporters. Its their job and who are we to critisise for them doing thier job. if can't assist them with our knowledge
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Fletch »

Southampton Gull wrote:I think it's pretty pathetic to jump on smithy for his opinion that they pissed him off. He's a regular fan, he's made plenty of trips to see us when he was at Portsmouth Uni and is committed to going as often as possible. If during our biggest game of the year he gets pissed off by "day-trippers" why shouldn't he say it on here? It's just his opinion.

My own opinion is that I'm happy for as many as possible to follow us to any game but I can certainly sympathise with his feelings on it.

Incidentally, before the game started it was like a morgue in WU103, I stood on my seat to start a song to try and get others to join in and an old guy behind me tried to pull me off it and asked me to keep quiet. I found it quite funny to be honest and explained that I was just trying to get some singing going and asked if he saw the Shrewsbury game on tv. I chatted on and off to him and asked him to attend Plainmoor to give it a go because like a lot of us I'm sure he'd get the bug and I'm sure smiffy would have done the same even though he'd rather not have been sat amongst them.

Calling him a **** for being honest enough to say what he said says more about you than him to be honest. It takes allsorts Fletch, the very point you're trying to make is lost in your attack on him. I've got a lot of time for your opinions, even if I don't always agree with them, but this time I just think you're being a bit of a plank. I'm sure I am at times as well and usually I get told pretty quickly, but most of the time I'm just pushing people into a debate because even if I seem to totally disagree with them I might just be trying to get them to share more than they might have intended. I don't have a problem with you at all but that doesn't mean I can't disect your views when I choose to ;-)
As you say Dave, its all about opinions.

My opinion is that anyone who comes out with crap like "The daytrippers fu*ked me off all day and ruined my day" or "I don't want these people on a regular basis. They ruined the experience for me and a lot of other torquay fans" and the like, is a f**kwit.

Ive already said I dont have anything against those that want to jump around and shout all game. I prefer to concentrate on watching the game personally but each to their own.

Feel free to hold your differing opinion...