Now here's a thought.......

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CP Gull

Now here's a thought.......

Post by CP Gull »

It appears that "rumours" have been circulating linking us with a move for Paul Sturrock? Well according to BBC Essex that is and given that I'm not aware of anything at our end it may well be that they have heard something at theirs? Of course PS has now gone on record as saying that it's nothing more than "rumour mongering" and that he isn't interested but then he would say that wouldn't he?

Initially my thoughts were why would he leave Southend (a "bigger" club than us ... isn't everybody?) but that said they are beset with financial difficulties and it doesn't seem like it's getting better anytime soon. In truth he did a miraculous job there last summer in literally throwing a squad together at the last minute but ensuring it was good enough to steer them well clear of trouble and in the end not too far off a play off challenge. I suppose the attraction of moving back down here - I'm pretty sure he still has a home down here - might appeal and he was certainly a regular visitor to Plainmoor when he was "moved upstairs" at Argyle in the 2009-10 season and at a time when there was speculation that Paul Buckle might be moving on. At the time I thought there was always a possibility that he might end up here.

A lot will be made of his illness and I must admit that I thought that the job at Argyle might prove to be his last, but the way he has thrown himself into the challenge at Southend suggests to me that he is still up for it. I just wonder though whether he might not fancy a bit of a back seat with perhaps a younger man doing the coaching? If he does then that fits rather well with what we read in the Herald about Utd wanting an experienced Manager with a rookie coach.

All speculation, of course, but I wouldn't say no given his track record - particularly at this level and the one above - it's probably fair to say he never quite cut it at Championship and (albeit briefly) Premiership level and his style of football might not suit everybody but it has proved effective in the lower leagues you have to say. He has also proved that he has the ability to bring players with him - look at how many jumped at the chance to folow him to SUFC -and you do wonder whether he might not be able to perusade one or two of the rejects down at Argyle to move up the A38 should he come?

As for an assistant well how about Graham Coughlan (SUFC) or if we were looking closer to home Russell/Hargreaves or perhaps even Kevin Phillips who played under him in his brief reign at Southampton.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 502688.stm
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

My thoughts are there is no way we will pay for a manager that is currently employed which rules him out. I'd imagine the only reason he's being linked is because of his connection with the region, i doubt there is any fact behind it whatsoever.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

royalgull wrote:My thoughts are there is no way we will pay for a manager that is currently employed which rules him out. I'd imagine the only reason he's being linked is because of his connection with the region, i doubt there is any fact behind it whatsoever.
Perhaps, although you would like to think that if we could negotiate a similar deal with Southend to that which we did with BRFC for Buckle then we might not be any worse off than we were a week ago?

Like you say it may just be "media talk" although interestingly it does seem to have come from their end rather than ours.

It's going to be a long week or so before the Board reach their decision - without doubt it is a very important one and will give us big clue as to exactly how ambitious they are. Whilst the new Grandstand is vitally important to our future success I just hope that they don't lose sight of the really important bit about running a football club .... success on the pitch.
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

Yep, I think he's be a good appointment.

See the chances of this being around 10% though.

I actually tipped Southend to get in the players as after seeing them at Plainmoor they looked pretty strong.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Interesting thoughts CP. Not to be completely discounted i reckon...

I've had some thoughts about a 'less than straight-forward' recruitment myself. Apparently Paul Trollope turned down Port Vale - and the suggestion is he is still being paid by Rovers. I wonder if we might have come to an agreement with them that we'd play ball over Buckle, if we could come to an 'agreement' regarding PT. Such that they contributed to a salary sufficient to get him here? Everybody would win - PT still gets the salary he's looking for, Rovers would end up payying less to him than they are currently doing, and we get a new manager without the salary constraints that might otherwise have put us off?

I say everyone wins - that is everyone except those of us that would prefer someone else!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

He had an interview and denied it apparently..
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Sturrock has excellent contacts and is a proven manager at thie level - that should rule him oy straight away then.
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

brucie wrote:Sturrock has excellent contacts and is a proven manager at thie level - that should rule him oy straight away then.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

yellowforever wrote:He had an interview and denied it apparently..
Yeah and apparently Paul Buckle hasn't signed anything yet and will make his mind up after the Play Off Final ....... :nod:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

The Trollope idea put forward by Shane is a good one, my only thinking on that one is the Club obviously want and need as much money as possible at the moment, so I'm not sure they'd be keen to throw away the money they got for Buckle. I wouldn't rule it out though.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Sturrock (despite denying any interest in the job) is now THIRD favourite with Victor Chandler at just 3/1. So, someone out there must think there is something in this ?

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/foo ... nt-manager
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

Sturrock's a far bigger name than I'd expect, would be quite happy with that. Rumours of Kevin Phillips in a coaching capacity (maybe with a bit of playing time?) also seem a bit crazy, but you never know in football.

From the doom and gloom of Buckle leaving followed by uncertainty this may turn out to be exiciting and positive.

Or as bad as we all expect :)
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Would be happy with Sturrock but I cant see us hiring a manager in a job at the minite to be honest. Have to say I'm still hoping Forster gets it but never know could catch us off guard with a surprise.