Zebroski

General chat about anything else goes here.
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Roberts

Post by BritishGAS »

Yeovil to be fair to them, have always been a decent supported little club, even though they have been in non league all through their history, they have still managed to average bigger gates than Torquay. Even when they were down in the now defunct ISIS League they were averaging about 3.5k to 4k.

They wont sustain it though either, I think they will go down next season.

Rochdale have been in League 2 for 50 odd years without a promotion, and yes fair play to them, they got promoted and did well in their 1st season at that level, but again they wont be there long.

And Exeter are about as good as they will ever be, but they have been where they are before, its not a real surprise to see Exeter in League 1, they went down to their lowest ebb a few years ago when they went down to the Blue Square, but have came back up, Ever since I have followed football they have been either League 1 or League 2.

I am not saying you need bigger crowds to survive, but unless you have a rich benefactor like Wigan or Crawley you aint never going to progress that far in the long term.

If Bristol Rovers, like Bradford, Luton, Oxford, Swindon etc get a decent team with success, you can see them progressing up the ladder because they have bigger fan bases than the likes of yourselves, Accrington, Morecambe, Stevenage, D&G, Macclesfield, Barnet the list goes on.

Its not banter its just that I am stating the blinking obvious, and stating common sense.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

BritishGAS wrote:Yeovil to be fair to them, have always been a decent supported little club, even though they have been in non league all through their history, they have still managed to average bigger gates than Torquay. Even when they were down in the now defunct ISIS League they were averaging about 3.5k to 4k.

They wont sustain it though either, I think they will go down next season.

Rochdale have been in League 2 for 50 odd years without a promotion, and yes fair play to them, they got promoted and did well in their 1st season at that level, but again they wont be there long.

And Exeter are about as good as they will ever be, but they have been where they are before, its not a real surprise to see Exeter in League 1, they went down to their lowest ebb a few years ago when they went down to the Blue Square, but have came back up, Ever since I have followed football they have been either League 1 or League 2.

I am not saying you need bigger crowds to survive, but unless you have a rich benefactor like Wigan or Crawley you aint never going to progress that far in the long term.

If Bristol Rovers, like Bradford, Luton, Oxford, Swindon etc get a decent team with success, you can see them progressing up the ladder because they have bigger fan bases than the likes of yourselves, Accrington, Morecambe, Stevenage, D&G, Macclesfield, Barnet the list goes on.

Its not banter its just that I am stating the blinking obvious, and stating common sense.
Can't argue with that. Apart from perhaps the Yeovil bit. I'm not sure how big their crowds were when they were non-league but would be very surprised they were averaging those kind of numbers? I don't see us as being any smaller than them - they've just got the shiny stadium that we haven't got. Perhaps our new grandstand will put 500 on the gates...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Roberts

Post by BritishGAS »

Fonda wrote: Can't argue with that. Apart from perhaps the Yeovil bit. I'm not sure how big their crowds were when they were non-league but would be very surprised they were averaging those kind of numbers? I don't see us as being any smaller than them - they've just got the shiny stadium that we haven't got. Perhaps our new grandstand will put 500 on the gates...
I think you are historicly a bigger club than Yeovil, obviously you are an established Football League club, whereas Yeovil have only been in the league for about 10 years, but Yeovil were always one of the biggest non league clubs in terms of attendances, FA Cup runs etc.

I would also go as far to say that Plain Moor is just as good as Huish Park, Huish Park is quite modern, but I dont think it is much bigger than Plain Moor.

And also Yeovil has a lot of Somerset support, I know a lot of Somerset people jump on the bandwagon and support C*ty and Rovers, but it is still quite a big area to generate support from. Whereas Torquay has Plymuff and Exeter on its doorstep.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Just a quick point - its Plainmoor - one word BritishGas.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
gullsdiv2
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Louis Briscoe

Post by gullsdiv2 »

miltonkeynesgull wrote: That's very interesting...a friend of mine was out in Manchester on Saturday night, and also met Zebroski who said the exact same thing to him as well. I'm willing to be proved wrong, and call me naive, but I honestly reckon that he is going nowhere.
I also spoke to him and his words were "I'm not going anywhere, we'll be top 3 next season i can't be doing with these play offs anymore" gotta admire his confidence!
basil75
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by basil75 »

75k is pitiful. We bought useless Constantine for 75k - todays money that is probably closer to 85-90k. You're seriously suggesting that Zebroski is worth less than Constantine was?

and the price shouldn't be out of our hands. If Zebroski wants to go - transfer list him and see the offers flood in rather than react to the first ridiculously low bid that comes in. He'd be of interest to many teams and I'd imagine some would be willing to pay more than 75k.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

basil75 wrote:75k is pitiful. We bought useless Constantine for 75k - todays money that is probably closer to 85-90k. You're seriously suggesting that Zebroski is worth less than Constantine was?

and the price shouldn't be out of our hands. If Zebroski wants to go - transfer list him and see the offers flood in rather than react to the first ridiculously low bid that comes in. He'd be of interest to many teams and I'd imagine some would be willing to pay more than 75k.
That is the other way to go, and it could pay dividends. But i'm not sure too many in League 1 would be beating a path to our door, and how many in League 2 could afford to offer more?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
basil75
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by basil75 »

You never know unless you try - but we won't get less than 75k, although we could get a lot more.
exmouthgull1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: zebs

Post by exmouthgull1 »

I
am not saying you need bigger crowds to survive, but unless you have a rich benefactor like Wigan or Crawley you aint never going to progress that far in the long term.

[

you keep saying the same things over and over. Just leave the site.
Stoke_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Stoke_Gull »

I

am not saying you need bigger crowds to survive, but unless you have a rich benefactor like Wigan or Crawley you aint never going to progress that far in the long term.

[

/quote]

you keep saying the same things over and over. Just leave the site.
I don't think that's fair, I have very much enjoyed BritishGas' posts over the last week or two. Unlike other Bristol Rovers fans who have come on here he seems to be able make well thought out points and adds to the discussion. He is more than welcome in my opinion.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

There is no problem with rival fans on here, as long as they're looking to stimulate conversation about recent happenings between the two clubs.

He's been the most interesting of them all, certainly.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Stoke_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Stoke_Gull »

Some people just can't tolerate an "outsider".
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Oh and did a bit of research into Yeovil's promotion season from the conference (02/03), they averaged 4741!

Sure the financial situation was more secure, more disposible income etc.. but that's still a large amount.

Britishgas was right on that ;-)
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Stoke_Gull wrote:Some people just can't tolerate an "outsider".

Indeed they "can't". Some however, can. It's why les.gtfc won MOTM for April 2010. :clap:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Personally I prefer friendlygas and find Britishgas a little too argumentative, too repetitive and patronising. But I have no problem with him being here. I just wish he'd stop harping on about attendances. It's boring and hardly epic banter.