The Shortlist

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
jocktheknife
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Nicho

Post by jocktheknife »

ferrarilover wrote: Three attempts at the "should I use an apostrophe or not" game, three losses. :clap:

Also, I don't really care who we get, just so long as the FIRST thing he does is tie down Pickles (to a contract, obviously, nothing sexual).

Matt.
One attempt at being an anally retentive smartarse........you did it :clap:
....aka jmgull.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

jocktheknife wrote: One attempt at being an anally retentive smartarse........you did it :clap:
BAZINGA! :bow: :clap:
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Interesting to see the odds now we know who is in the running.

Forster is evens favourite, with Hughes close behind on 5/4. Hargreaves is now out to 6/1 fifth favourite.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/foo ... nt-manager" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by andygull »

John Hughes wins hands down. Am i the only Gull that thinks appointing Nicky Forster would be a huge mistake? Not having a go just wondered as many posts support the lad on the basis that he is young and knows a few players.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Just a thought here but considering there are now a couple gaps in the backroom staff, could we not genuinely look at 3 of this list? Hughes as manager with Aggy as a player/coach and Greavsey in a coaching/scouting role.

With Hughes' managerial abilities and Aggy's/Hargreaves' contacts, that could really be a superb back room team.

I'd love to have Forster involved but I can't see him taking any less than the managerial role and although I have supported Forster, looking at Hughes' CV, we'd be utterly stupid to turn him down.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

Holdsworth's failure at Mansfield, and McParland's ungracious reaction after our televised draw with his Notts County side would make those two particularly disappointing appointments in my eyes.

John Hughes, in contrast, is definitely an interesting and surprise candidate to add to the list, but I'd still go for Forster.

Maybe I've been overly swayed by the recent success of rookie managers at Plainmoor like Hodges, Leroy and Buckle, but Forster has a lot of things going for him, not least an impressive run as manager at the back end of last season. Having played at L1 level for the last few years he knows the lower leagues and will no doubt be aware of players he likes (not sure the same can be said of Hughes).

Everything I ve heard from Brentford and Reading fans suggest he s a thoroughly nice bloke, and I can't help but think the long-term prospects of his appointment are greater than with Hughes (who I'm sure would relish the chance of a realistic return to the SPL in the near future).

Personally, I'd love to see a Forster-Russell managing team. Whilst I acknowledge the doubts about chucking together two virtual strangers, I think Russell signing as a first-team player as well as a coach changes the dynamic a little. Also, unlike Hargreaves, much has changed since AR left the club, so I'm not sure his position as coach would undermine the manager to the same extent.
Last edited by Chris B on 08 Jun 2011, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

My choice would be Hughes/Bullen.
robc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by robc »

Haven't read through the 4 pages of the thread, but living up here in Glasgow I've seen quite a bit of John Hughes. If I remember correctly, his Falkirk side were renowned for getting the ball down and playing, and he's probably got some great contacts up there in terms of players too. Could discover the next David Graham... I'd absolutely love to see Hughes with either Hargreaves or Russell as assistant. If that happened I'd be absolutely over the moon, but can't imagine either of those two coming as assistant having applied for the top job. We can but dream!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Boom Boom wrote:McParland's a tosser.
Now there is a well reasoned argument. *doffs cap*

Care to tell us why? Did he sleep with your wife, because all managers do that... right?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Chris B wrote:Personally, I'd love to see a Forster-Russell managing team. Whilst I acknowledge the doubts about chucking together two virtual strangers, I think Russell signing as a first-team player as well as a coach changes the dynamic a little. Also, unlike Hargreaves, much has changed since AR left the club, so I'm not sure his position as coach would undermine the manager to the same extent.
I agree with regards to Aggy, everything in Plainmoor has now changed since he was with the club. New board, new team, new coaches, new manager etc. Am I right in thinking the only person involved with Torquay during Aggy's time would be Kenny Veysey?
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

cambgull wrote:Just a thought here but considering there are now a couple gaps in the backroom staff, could we not genuinely look at 3 of this list? Hughes as manager with Aggy as a player/coach and Greavsey in a coaching/scouting role.

With Hughes' managerial abilities and Aggy's/Hargreaves' contacts, that could really be a superb back room team.

I'd love to have Forster involved but I can't see him taking any less than the managerial role and although I have supported Forster, looking at Hughes' CV, we'd be utterly stupid to turn him down.
Would probably be a great plan, except you rather get the impression that the Board are going to take the opportunity to not replace certain people and cut down on overheads that way.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

jocktheknife wrote: One attempt at being an anally retentive smartarse........you did it :clap:
And I'm better in bed than you, well, according to your mum. 3/3, I win, YAY! :rofl:

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

robc wrote:Haven't read through the 4 pages of the thread, but living up here in Glasgow I've seen quite a bit of John Hughes. If I remember correctly, his Falkirk side were renowned for getting the ball down and playing, and he's probably got some great contacts up there in terms of players too. Could discover the next David Graham... I'd absolutely love to see Hughes with either Hargreaves or Russell as assistant. If that happened I'd be absolutely over the moon, but can't imagine either of those two coming as assistant having applied for the top job. We can but dream!
If Hughes was successful I would be very surprised if he didn't insist on bringing his right hand man (Brian Rice) with him - a man who by his own admission in this interview follows him every where....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 133797.stm

Having seen this I'm not so sure that the application by Falkirk Asst Mnager Lee Bullen for the post has anything to do with John Hughes - think it may just be a coincidence.
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

Chris B wrote: McPartland's ungracious reaction after our televised draw with his Notts County side would make those two particularly disappointing appointments in my eyes.
Me too. I remember watching his interview after I'd got back from that brilliant game, and thinking he was one of the biggest morons I'd ever heard. Incredibly bitter and sounded like he'd been watching a totally different game.
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

ferrarilover wrote: Now there is a well reasoned argument. *doffs cap*

Care to tell us why? Did he sleep with your wife, because all managers do that... right?

Matt.
Watched Ron Atkinson's manager programme mathingy on Sky Sports ages ago, he was Peterborough boss & on the whole just came across as an arrogant pillock. Saying that, I was willing to give him a second chance but again he came across the same way when interviewed after the Notts County v Torquay game at Meadow Park. Although we drew 2-2 against the top side, we dominated the last 20 & I was expecting some credit from the manager. But again came across as a tosser.

Not every manager sleeps with men's wives...Steve Evans tried to sleep with my wife but he couldn't fit in the bed.