Buckle could be a mistake

General chat about anything else goes here.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Gashead1979 wrote:
Err, who brought them to you in the first place?!

Out of contract players can make their own decisions who they sign for, and you dont have to accept any offers for your contracted players, so what is the problem exactly??

If someone offered you a similar job for more money im sure you'd take it too, managers are no different.

Buckle can now offer higher wages to get better calibre of players in to add to the ones he takes with him, plus players are attracted by the prospect of playing if front of a larger crowd.

I think he'd have come here even if you won at OT, but I wonder if you'd have as much of a problem with him if he'd won you that games??
John Milton.

Yes, indeed, players may make their own decisions as to the club for which they wish to play. You act as if BR hav never lost an players to other clubs. We enjoyed watching the football being produced last season, it wa entertaining. We now face the prospect of a less entertaining season because our better players are on their way to Bristol bloody Rovers. Is that too hard for you to understand?

If they wanted to play in front of a larger crowd, they'd go to Bradford, or, for that matter, Luton. If it was money they wanted, they'd court Crawley.
You might like to believe you stand out in this division like HMS invincible at the battle of Waterloo, but you don't, there are teams in this division who will trump any stat you can name.
Signing for the 'mighty' BRFC is not anything like the golden ticket you seem to think it is.

We'll soon see, come October, just how much too big you are for L2.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gashead1979
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Gashead1979 »

ferrarilover wrote: John Milton.

Yes, indeed, players may make their own decisions as to the club for which they wish to play. You act as if BR hav never lost an players to other clubs. We enjoyed watching the football being produced last season, it wa entertaining. We now face the prospect of a less entertaining season because our better players are on their way to Bristol bloody Rovers. Is that too hard for you to understand?

If they wanted to play in front of a larger crowd, they'd go to Bradford, or, for that matter, Luton. If it was money they wanted, they'd court Crawley.
You might like to believe you stand out in this division like HMS invincible at the battle of Waterloo, but you don't, there are teams in this division who will trump any stat you can name.
Signing for the 'mighty' BRFC is not anything like the golden ticket you seem to think it is.

We'll soon see, come October, just how much too big you are for L2.

Matt.

Who said anything about Crawley or Bradford, im just talking about Rovers and Torquay. Players chose to come here instead of Torquay, why? just because of Buckle??

Play the hard done by card by all means but you wont get much sympathy, we have a long history of losing good players, its life, it happens, get on with it.

God knows why you think we all come on here saying how massive we are, we dont, just a bigger club than Torquay thats all.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Gashead, give it a rest already. You're a bigger club. you have bigger crowds, you have more money, your caterers have bigger cheese sandwiches*, yada yada yada.
We've been over this countless times, it's boring.

Shrewsbury do a decent cheese sanger though, you'll have some competition there.
Gashead1979
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Gashead1979 »

HRG wrote:Gashead, give it a rest already. You're a bigger club. you have bigger crowds, you have more money, your caterers have bigger cheese sandwiches*, yada yada yada.
We've been over this countless times, it's boring.

Shrewsbury do a decent cheese sanger though, you'll have some competition there.

We've been over slagging off Buckle countless times too. Get over it ey?

The only times you need to worry about Buckle now is during the two games we meet.

Things will improve when you get a new manager in.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Torquay fans are fully within their rights to discuss the frustration/anger/disappointment/indifference to the events of the last few days on a Torquay United forum. Shocker!
On my part, I'm getting over it. I've had my say, possibly over reacted after the news about Stanley but it felt like another kick in the teeth at the time and I hadn't drunk enough tea to make me more rational of a morning. When Buckle leaves you, if he does the same to you, how will you react? Will you be able to restrain yourself from posting the odd insult and obscenity on your own forum?
Also, how would you feel if he left for a club in the same division, say Bradford, then the fans of that club come on to your forum to say that they are bigger than you, have more money etc, again and again. It doesn't feel good, it doesn't help with the moving on process. It feels like gloating.

Back to the thread. Buckle may learn to be careful what you wish for. He's not going to get an easy ride. Many of us were just hoping for a nice easy season mid table. No worries, no pressure for Buckle. You, yourself Gashead have said that you should be pushing for automatics this coming season. If by Christmas you are not there or there abouts, or not even in a play off spot. Will he be in trouble?
Gashead1979
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Gashead1979 »

HRG wrote:Torquay fans are fully within their rights to discuss the frustration/anger/disappointment/indifference to the events of the last few days on a Torquay United forum. Shocker!
On my part, I'm getting over it. I've had my say, possibly over reacted after the news about Stanley but it felt like another kick in the teeth at the time and I hadn't drunk enough tea to make me more rational of a morning. When Buckle leaves you, if he does the same to you, how will you react? Will you be able to restrain yourself from posting the odd insult and obscenity on your own forum?
Also, how would you feel if he left for a club in the same division, say Bradford, then the fans of that club come on to your forum to say that they are bigger than you, have more money etc, again and again. It doesn't feel good, it doesn't help with the moving on process. It feels like gloating.

Back to the thread. Buckle may learn to be careful what you wish for. He's not going to get an easy ride. Many of us were just hoping for a nice easy season mid table. No worries, no pressure for Buckle. You, yourself Gashead have said that you should be pushing for automatics this coming season. If by Christmas you are not there or there abouts, or not even in a play off spot. Will he be in trouble?

I think play offs is the minimum we would expect tbh.

We used to hand out massive contracts to attract players in L1 and it went tits up, now it looks like Buckle is offering lower contracts with bonus incentives, which is the way to go, as near to performance related pay as you can get really.

Buckle will leave eventually, one way or another, and if its to leave for another club it will mean he is doing well for us, if he gets the sack we'll be glad he's gone, but he will go and we will all still be here.

No player, manager or board member is bigger than the club, and as long as I have a club to follow i'll be happy.

I'd be happy now for Buckle to concentrate on up and coming players, possibly from non-league with a point to proven that has sell-on value. I dont expect any more of your players or ex plaers to come here now.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Gashead1979 wrote:I dont expect any more of your players or ex plaers to come here now.
I should ruddy well hope not! :)
Gashead1979
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Gashead1979 »

HRG wrote: I should ruddy well hope not! :)

Well we need a striker or two, whether Zabrowski is the answer I don't know. Would prefer Donaldson or Grimes.

We also need a RB, but I heard Buckle never really sorted one out for you so im not optimistic.

We were like you are now the other week, moaning about being managerless and losing out on players, when your new guy comes in and makes some signings it will all seem bright again :-D
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

I'm sure Buckle will throw a midfielder to RB or the ball boy. I really think Donaldson is your answer. O'neil Donaldson
nicktufc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Euuuuuuuunan

Post by nicktufc »

Whether you 'expect' them to come here or not, is largely irrelevant.

Buckle will pilfer everything he can, as proven by his early time here, and his short time with you. It wouldn't suprise me to see you warming up with our matchballs.
Gashead1979
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Gashead1979 »

nicktufc wrote:Whether you 'expect' them to come here or not, is largely irrelevant.

Buckle will pilfer everything he can, as proven by his early time here, and his short time with you. It wouldn't suprise me to see you warming up with our matchballs.

Well I think it'd be expected for him to try and get your best players if he can and them add to it from elsewhere.

I'd hope to finish in the top 3 so he'd have to better what he had last season.

It happens though, a new manager usually brings his own staff and ex players. He needs to bring in players to get us out of this league end of, and what better to start with than certain players he already knows??
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I don't give a shit about Buckle, he has a colourful history here and some fans are now finding out what others have known for some time. My problem is with the people dealing with things at our Club.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Who said anything about Crawley or Bradford, im just talking about Rovers and Torquay. Players chose to come here instead of Torquay, why? just because of Buckle??

Play the hard done by card by all means but you wont get much sympathy, we have a long history of losing good players, its life, it happens, get on with it.

God knows why you think we all come on here saying how massive we are, we dont, just a bigger club than Torquay thats all.
Well, since both player signings and the three back room signings you have made thus far have been as a direct result of PB, then, eerm, yes actually.

I mentioned Bradford and Crawley, because they were relevant to the point I was making, in response to your comments, do you not understand how conversation works?

None of us are looking for sympathy, certainly not from a club who got a right royal shafting last season, but we are perfectly within our rights as supporters to be a bit naffed off that the very promising young squad we did have are moving away. Not even to a better club, but one in the same division.

Indeed you might be, but TUFC is a bigger club than Matlock Town, but during our brief dalliance with them, not once did any of our fans feel the need to mention the fact on their forum.

Matt.
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Roberts

Post by BritishGAS »

ferrarilover wrote: Well, since both player signings and the three back room signings you have made thus far have been as a direct result of PB, then, eerm, yes actually.

I mentioned Bradford and Crawley, because they were relevant to the point I was making, in response to your comments, do you not understand how conversation works?

None of us are looking for sympathy, certainly not from a club who got a right royal shafting last season, but we are perfectly within our rights as supporters to be a bit naffed off that the very promising young squad we did have are moving away. Not even to a better club, but one in the same division.

Indeed you might be, but TUFC is a bigger club than Matlock Town, but during our brief dalliance with them, not once did any of our fans feel the need to mention the fact on their forum.

Matt.
Why are Bradford and Crawley relevant? Bradford are skint and Crawley are a mickey mouse club and there house will come crashing down sooner rather than later. Just like Rushden a few years ago and up in Scotland Gretna.

I dont want to seem like I am giving it the large one, as you lot dont seem to like that, But Bristol Rovers along with Bradford have the most potential in League 2, and that is a factor whether you like it or not. Paul Buckle along with Bevan, Gill and Stanley all came here because they have a chance to improve themselves, you keep on saying that they should have left for a better club and not one in the same division, but there isn't a better club in this division and there are very few in the league above. I am not giving it the "Billy Big Bollocks" because if you have read some of my other posts, I dont like that and have had a word with fellow Gasheads for doing that, but that is a fact.

On Thursday an announcement will be made about a wealthy benefactor coming in, and a New 25k stadium to be built, which will hopefully give Bristol Rovers the platform to fulfill its potential.

Obviously you are rightly p*ssed off about Buckle leaving the way he did, but dont spout nonsense about him joining the wrong club and not a better club.

He could have joined a club in League One like Brentford, but that would not be much of a step up from Torquay IMO. Bristol Rovers in the next 4-5 years if everything comes off, have the recources and finally(hopefully) the stadium that we have needed for donkey's years to actually establish ourselves in higher levels and push on as a club.

BRFC have been in the doldrums for far to long, but this time relegation could really be a blessing in disguise.

Obviously Buckle, North, Bevan and Stanley have improved there salary's by coming here, but all the reasons I have listed above are bigger factors IMO.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Why don't you Brizzle folk seem to grasp the concept of conversation? Bradford are relevent because they get larger crowds than you, negating the "bigger crowd" suggestion. Crawley pay more money, negating the "loadsamoney" suggestion.

"I don't wanna give it billy big balls, but we're the biggest and best team in L2"... No, you're not.

If, if, if. If we get a stadium, if this benefactor is stupid enough to pour money into BRFC, if it all comes off..... zzzzzzz.
If my aunty had balls, she'd be my uncle.
If you hadn't been abjectly woeful last season, you'd still be in L1.

As for very few teams better than you in L1, pray tell, why did you finish so low if you are so much better than everybody else?

Is this the stadium which you have been talking about for 25 years?

Time to face up British, you are in L2 and, by virtue of this, you are considered to be the same standard as Torquay.

First off, you win this division which you are so much better than, then come back here and tell us all that you are a sleeping giant, down in the doldrums of English football.

Matt.