Buckle could be a mistake

General chat about anything else goes here.
Gashead1979
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Gashead1979 »

ferrarilover wrote: Well, since both player signings and the three back room signings you have made thus far have been as a direct result of PB, then, eerm, yes actually.

I mentioned Bradford and Crawley, because they were relevant to the point I was making, in response to your comments, do you not understand how conversation works?

None of us are looking for sympathy, certainly not from a club who got a right royal shafting last season, but we are perfectly within our rights as supporters to be a bit naffed off that the very promising young squad we did have are moving away. Not even to a better club, but one in the same division.

Indeed you might be, but TUFC is a bigger club than Matlock Town, but during our brief dalliance with them, not once did any of our fans feel the need to mention the fact on their forum.
Matt.
Well we don't go on the likes of Cheltenham, Hereford and Maccs board to tell them we are a bigger club. Its just answering why a lot of your fans were miffered that Buckle left you and joined a team in the same division. Sideways move some called it.....

I notice we sign Stanley and then everyone slags off Buckle yet again for stealing targets, yet Robinson gets signed by the posion dwarf Johnson and everyone wishes them the best 8-o
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

BritishGAS wrote:I dont want to seem like I am giving it the large one, as you lot dont seem to like that, But Bristol Rovers along with Bradford have the most potential in League 2, and that is a factor whether you like it or not. Paul Buckle along with Bevan, Gill and Stanley all came here because they have a chance to improve themselves, you keep on saying that they should have left for a better club and not one in the same division, but there isn't a better club in this division and there are very few in the league above. I am not giving it the "Billy Big Bollocks" because if you have read some of my other posts, I dont like that and have had a word with fellow Gasheads for doing that, but that is a fact.
Whether or not there are better clubs in this division remains to be seen since the season hasn't begun yet. If you finish top then you will be proved correct. The clubs in the league above are better than Rovers, Bradford, Torquay and the rest which is why they are where they are and we are where we are. Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. I would argue that Leeds are a bigger team than Wigan, but Wigan are a division higher and therefore better at the moment.
Potential is a complicated thing. It is possible to have it but to never succeed. Potential has to be converted to make it mean anything. As you say Bradford are full of potential, but it didn't do anything for them last season. Or the three seasons or so previous.
Last edited by HRG on 08 Jun 2011, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

I wasn't particularly fussed about Robinson Gashead so you'll hear no complaints from me on that matter. Also it didn't seem so likely (to me at least) that he would sign for us, he's always kept his options open.
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Roberts

Post by BritishGAS »

ferrarilover wrote:Why don't you Brizzle folk seem to grasp the concept of conversation? Bradford are relevent because they get larger crowds than you, negating the "bigger crowd" suggestion. Crawley pay more money, negating the "loadsamoney" suggestion.

"I don't wanna give it billy big balls, but we're the biggest and best team in L2"... No, you're not.

If, if, if. If we get a stadium, if this benefactor is stupid enough to pour money into BRFC, if it all comes off..... zzzzzzz.
If my aunty had balls, she'd be my uncle.
If you hadn't been abjectly woeful last season, you'd still be in L1.

As for very few teams better than you in L1, pray tell, why did you finish so low if you are so much better than everybody else?

Is this the stadium which you have been talking about for 25 years?

Time to face up British, you are in L2 and, by virtue of this, you are considered to be the same standard as Torquay.

First off, you win this division which you are so much better than, then come back here and tell us all that you are a sleeping giant, down in the doldrums of English football.

Matt.
When did I say we were the biggest team in League 2? In our entire history which is 128 years we have only spent 5 of those years in the bottom tier and those were in the last decade, that is what I meant by better.

You are right we were absolutely pathetic last season. We finished so low because of piss poor management by Paul Trollope who wasted money on the wrong players. That's what happens in football sometimes, That is why the likes of Leeds, Leicester, Nottingham Forest, Southampton, Charlton, Norwich, Sheffield Wednesday and United and even Man City ended up in the 3rd tier, Would you say that Southampton are not a better club than Dagenham??? They played in the same division last year, by your logic Dagenham are on the same par with the Saints????

It is the same stadium that we have been after for 25 years yes, but the difference is that Bristol City Council couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery as our South Bristol red friends have found out to there cost aswell, but this new venture is in South Gloucestershire which is a totally different council and are far better run and better organised than the knobs at BCC wil ever be.

You keep on reading what you want to read, and not what I have actually written.

Paul Buckle coming here is in the long run a step up, I dont see how you can deny that? It might not happen this season, because it will be a brand new squad and it will take time to gel, but we wont be down here for 5 years like last time.

Its a game of opinions, you have your's, I have mine.
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

BritishGAS wrote:Bristol Rovers in the next 4-5 years if everything comes off, have the recources and finally(hopefully) the stadium that we have needed for donkey's years to actually establish ourselves in higher levels and push on as a club.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Course mate. :~D
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by BritishGAS »

Boom Boom wrote: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Course mate. :~D
I will be happy to come back to this thread in 5 years time and see where both clubs are.

I will put a wager on with you if you like? That we will be at least 2 divisions above Torquay in that time.

Maybe everybody associated with Torquay should show a bit of ambition and fight, and stop mocking other people who do have ambition and can see their club being succesful.

Maybe then managers and players would'nt leave you for a "joke" club in the same division. :nod:
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

BritishGAS wrote: I will be happy to come back to this thread in 5 years time and see where both clubs are.
I will put a wager on with you if you like? That we will be at least 2 divisions above Torquay in that time.
Maybe everybody associated with Torquay should show a bit of ambition and fight, and stop mocking other people who do have ambition and can see their club being succesful.
Maybe then managers and players would'nt leave you for a "joke" club in the same division. :nod:
You been smoking that smelly stuff again Gashead? :-/
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

BritishGAS wrote:Bristol Rovers in the next 4-5 years if everything comes off, have the recources and finally(hopefully) the stadium that we have needed for donkey's years to actually establish ourselves in higher levels and push on as a club.
Ah, the magic 'potential'. You were founded in 1883, but ignore the last 128 years, it's these 4 or 5 where you're suddenly going to reach your potential.

I hope the FA have a contingency in place. With all these sides formulating 5 year plans, they're going to need a 49 team second tier and just leave us, Barnet and Macclesfield in League Two.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by BritishGAS »

Gulliball wrote: Ah, the magic 'potential'. You were founded in 1883, but ignore the last 128 years, it's these 4 or 5 where you're suddenly going to reach your potential.

I hope the FA have a contingency in place. With all these sides formulating 5 year plans, they're going to need a 49 team second tier and just leave us, Barnet and Macclesfield in League Two.
How have I ignored the last 128 years? In all of those 128 years we have spent 5 seasons in the bottom division, and all of those have been in the last decade.

The rest of our history has been either at Championship(Old Division 2) or League one(Old division 3).

A new stadium around the corner and cash injection will hopefully improve us.

I bet you were another one who thought Hull, Blackpool and Swansea fans were deluded, yet look at where they have gone in the last 5 years or so.

Again instead of mocking other clubs for having ambition and wanting to be succesful, Maybe you should start asking the same for Torquay United.

Now you are the ones playing the "Little Old Torquay" card, when you cant stand other fans calling you the same? Why are you comparing yourselves to Barnet and Macclesfield? If I was you I would look a little closer to home and compare yourselves with Exeter, who have achieved success in the last few years. I am sure Perryman, Tisdale and Tillson had a "5 year plan" as you call it, in place!!!!!!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

Ok, I'll humour you. In the last 10 years, enough time to allow for fluctuations of poor/good management, your average finishing position is 73rd in the football pyramid, making you a L2 team. Not a brilliant L2 team either, it's where Accrington finished this season.

You've been a football club for a very long time, and aren't suddenly going to have a huge jump in terms of what you can expect for the future. Potential, in terms of football clubs, is used exclusively by under-achieving sides trying to cling on to some bragging rights.

You won't have the biggest budget in L2 next season, you won't win the league, you won't have the highest attendances, and no-one is going to cancel their holiday to make sure they can get to Bristol. You're a L2 team, just like the other 23 sides you'll be playing next year.

For what it's worth, I never heard Blackpool or Hull fans predicting they'd be in the Premiership. But I heard a lot of other sides formulating magical 5 year plans to shift their season tickets.
www.torquayfanstats.com
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I tried to engage with the BRFC fans, I tried, I really did, but it seems we are doomed to a future of me answering questions based upon what has been said previously (a skill I happen to have a keen affinity with) and being met with more questions about where I got my information.

I've seen Dave get into this situation enough times to know that it takes more time than I can reasonably justify to coerce these people into thinking straight.

I quit, you're right BG, you are FAR too good for L2, it will be an absolute miracle if anyone can stop you winning the Champions League in 2016/17. In fact, I've heard you'll be so good, FIFA will classify Bristol as an independent state, such that Rovers may be permitted to win the World Cup in Qatar.
That is, of course, assuming that Northampton Town haven't taken all the worlds best players...

Idiots.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Robiberto22 »

i'll take that bet ....
ALAN KNILL'S YELLOW ARMY !!! - Oh wait ...
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by BritishGAS »

Gulliball wrote:Ok, I'll humour you. In the last 10 years, enough time to allow for fluctuations of poor/good management, your average finishing position is 73rd in the football pyramid, making you a L2 team. Not a brilliant L2 team either, it's where Accrington finished this season.

You've been a football club for a very long time, and aren't suddenly going to have a huge jump in terms of what you can expect for the future. Potential, in terms of football clubs, is used exclusively by under-achieving sides trying to cling on to some bragging rights.

You won't have the biggest budget in L2 next season, you won't win the league, you won't have the highest attendances, and no-one is going to cancel their holiday to make sure they can get to Bristol. You're a L2 team, just like the other 23 sides you'll be playing next year.

For what it's worth, I never heard Blackpool or Hull fans predicting they'd be in the Premiership. But I heard a lot of other sides formulating magical 5 year plans to shift their season tickets.
Now who is the one ignoring the previous 128 years???

Nobody at Rovers, is expecting a huge jump, The Championship is where we want to be, and it is a realistic aim, anything else and it will be an unbelievable bonus. Look in The Championship and you see clubs like Cardiff, Hull, Reading, Preston, Blackpool, Bristol C*ty, Doncaster etc, they are the same size sort of clubs as us, some a little bigger, some smaller, but they are not much different to Bristol Rovers.

Swansea, Blackpool and Hull are prime examples of what can be done, if you show some ambition to progress the club.

We may have the biggest budget in League 2, by tomorrow morning, as a press conference has been arranged to name a new benefactor and stadium. We wont get the biggest crowds because our ground size wont allow us to, and Bradford have the cheapest entrance fee which entices more people, we will be a close 2nd though. We might win the league? Who knows?

We know we are a League 2 club, nobody has said any different, but we have ambitions to be a lot better than that.
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by BritishGAS »

ferrarilover wrote:I tried to engage with the BRFC fans, I tried, I really did, but it seems we are doomed to a future of me answering questions based upon what has been said previously (a skill I happen to have a keen affinity with) and being met with more questions about where I got my information.

I've seen Dave get into this situation enough times to know that it takes more time than I can reasonably justify to coerce these people into thinking straight.

I quit, you're right BG, you are FAR too good for L2, it will be an absolute miracle if anyone can stop you winning the Champions League in 2016/17. In fact, I've heard you'll be so good, FIFA will classify Bristol as an independent state, such that Rovers may be permitted to win the World Cup in Qatar.
That is, of course, assuming that Northampton Town haven't taken all the worlds best players...

Idiots.

Matt.
You dont try to engage whatsoever. You are just pissed off that Buckle has left you(Quite Rightly) and then try and mock Gasheads because they have ambitions to play at a higher level.

You are the idiot my friend, judging by what you have just written, which is a load of old poppycock.

Nobody has said we are far to good for League 2, It is all in your weird, warped imagination.

:lol:
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

I'm not ignoring history at all.

After 128 years, this is where you've reached. Your level. Why you think years 129-134 are going to be an improvement I don't know.
www.torquayfanstats.com