Bristow's Bench

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tufcfans
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eunan!

Bristow's Bench

Post by tufcfans »

Just seen the new plans for Bristow's Bench, which will be the new grandstand.
Does anyone know what the capacity will be after this as it looks bigger than I thought it would be?
Thanks
Torquay United Online Newspaper (Torquay United Fans Daily) http://www.paper.li/TUFCFANS/1309719474 and other online newspapers here: http://paper.li/~/publisher/674697#
holsten
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by holsten »

Finally some good news! Excellent that the funding's gone through, and i'm very pleased that Paul will get the recognition he deserves.

1750 i think, correct me if i'm wrong.
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by AndyC »

Not particularly sure about the name, but to be honest that really doesn't matter.

I still think we could have managed something a little bigger, but what's the need - we can't even get close to filling the place for a play-off semi-final.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

AndyC wrote:Not particularly sure about the name, but to be honest that really doesn't matter.
Yeah, "Bristow's Bench" does seem a bit...glib. The Paul Bristow Stand would have been fine.

still, at least it's getting done, and it's sign of a plan of some sort. Next stop - manager and players!
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Fantastic news, we finally have something positive! Can't wait to see it when it's done and I actually like the name. It'll end up being known as The Bench, better than just being called the Bristow stand or something dull!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

Smashing news. A little concerned that the small final illustration shows naff lettering made from coloured seats, but other than that no complaints.
holsten
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by holsten »

Totally agree with you there Cambgull, it's something a bit different and the name doesn't matter, as long as it's got Bristow in it.

The one thing i'm concerned about is where the changing rooms etc will be set up. I presume they'll do something behind the away end, plenty of room there.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Regiment »

when i first read "bristow's bench" i thought it sounded a bit naff, but said it in my head a few times, and i'm starting to like it. obviously his wife had some say in that, so who are we to question it. if it's what he wanted, and he'd have liked it, it's good enough for me. great news.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Great news!

Quite happy with the name as I imagine it was chosen by Thea and if she likes it then that's ok by me. Personally I'm just so grateful that she has seen this through - what a great legacy and I am sure it was what he would have wanted. She could just have dedicated a "bench" with a nice view at a favourite spot of his somewhere .... thinking about it that's exactly what this is ! Except this one is a bleddy great one that hopefully will one day in the future have 1750 people sat on it on a regular basis!!!!

Thank you Thea.
Last edited by CP Gull on 09 Jun 2011, 18:26, edited 2 times in total.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Hallelujah!!

Again, the name isn't quite what I expected, but as said, at least it's giving Mr & Mrs Bristow the recognition they deserve!

Cannot wait for that to get started, and it'll sure be interesting looking across from the Pop every 2 weeks while it's being worked on! :)
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Bloggy »

Do corner stands cost more money or are they just dead space? Would have like to enclose the ground on that side, could have created somesort of 'facility' there for Press or catering or groundstaff etc.
BTownGull
New Signing
New Signing

Post by BTownGull »

Some excellent news from the club at last, it will be a real tribute to Mr Bristow seen by thousands. Now Plainmoor will be a fully closed 'stadium' which should significantly improve the look.

Now, why don't the club re-name the un-inspiring ''Family Stand'' behind the goal!!
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

BTownGull wrote:Now, why don't the club re-name the un-inspiring ''Family Stand'' behind the goal!!
This being Torquay, they should at least be honest and call it the Teenage Pregnancy Stand.

That way, if we concede 3 goals in that end, we can say "dammit, we've been well and truly ****ed" and nobody could disagree!
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
mattymoos
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Wes Saunders

Post by mattymoos »

When I first read the name I was a little confused aswell however agree with CPs thoughts and it is actually a more personal touch than just say 'The Bristow Stand'. Whilst I don't think intentional I also think that in future peoples curiosity behind the origins of 'the bench' may create a nice legacy about Mr Bristow being a true supporter rather than someone who once bunged a load of money our way. Thumbs up from me!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

BTownGull wrote:Some excellent news from the club at last, it will be a real tribute to Mr Bristow seen by thousands. Now Plainmoor will be a fully closed 'stadium' which should significantly improve the look.

Now, why don't the club re-name the un-inspiring ''Family Stand'' behind the goal!!

Like the Mini Stand and Cowshed before it, the current stucture is at the ELLACOMBE END. :nod:

Likewise, the current structure at the opposite goal end is the BABBACOMBE END. :nod:

The naming is geographically accurate as well as historically remembering the amalgamation at different times of the ELLACOMBE and BABBACOMBE football clubs leading to the TORQUAY UNITED of today. :nod:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"