Competition for Olejnik

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Quite obvious I.M.O.!
it has to be Tim Sills as the "assistant keeper" I think he went in goal for most of the game once when we were in the BSP & kept a clean sheet. :lol: :lol: :bow: :clap: :scarf:
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

i can fully understand why Danny Potter moved on, and good luck to him. it's tough for any player to sit on the bench week in, week out, but infinitely worse for a keeper because you know you'll only get your chance if the No.1 has string of mare performances, or injury of course.

when danny got his chance last season, he didn't really take it, and although a decent keeper, wasn't quite good enough to hold down the permanent No.1 spot.

however, his experience, dedication and attitude were fantastic, just the way he helped Bev in the warm up (and no doubt in training), i think he'll be a very good goalkeeping coach one day.

not suggesting he would be our number 2, as he's probably better than that, but what was the name of the guy we had in on emergency loan against Notts County in the last game of the season 09-10 when Michael Poke and Bevan were both out ?? he came in, did a great job on the day. where is he now ??
Brady

I Wish I Was There
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

I think it might be Steve collis, regiment
The gulls are going up
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

gullno4 wrote:I think it might be Steve collis, regiment
ah yeah, i think you're right.

just googled him, and appears to be back up keeper at peterborough, played twice on loan for northampton last season. i'd happily have him down at plainmoor.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

wodger of awabia wrote:Quite obvious I.M.O.!
it has to be Tim Sills as the "assistant keeper" I think he went in goal for most of the game once when we were in the BSP & kept a clean sheet. :lol: :lol: :bow: :clap: :scarf:
Not quite.

He forced the oppo to miss a penalty, but did concede one, late in the first half. We went in at 1-1.

He didn't have a great deal to do second half, but, with the home end emptying of mildly disgruntled Forest Green fans, having seen their team manage 'only' a draw with a team featuring no centre forward and no goal keeper; Matt Green found half a yard, just outside the box, turned and, head down, rifled a right footed thunderbolt into the top corner. 2-1 to the Torquay boys.

I've still got it on DVD if you'd like a watch.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

He is useless - but i would not be suprised. The club is a joke.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

brucie wrote:He is useless - but i would not be suprised. The club is a joke.
We can only have one keeper on the pitch at a time. And Olejnik has been identified as our Number 1. With that in mind, should we a) Use valuable budget on another keeper, who might very well not take the field all season or b) Get in someone who's expctancy of playing (and wage demands) will be lower, and use the money saved to sign some players who might improve the first 11 in other positions? With crowds of less than 2,000, our budget won't stretch far.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper

Fonda wrote: We can only have one keeper on the pitch at a time. And Olejnik has been identified as our Number 1. With that in mind, should we a) Use valuable budget on another keeper, who might very well not take the field all season or b) Get in someone who's expctancy of playing (and wage demands) will be lower, and use the money saved to sign some players who might improve the first 11 in other positions? With crowds of less than 2,000, our budget won't stretch far.
Yes but what about this one then?
Don't sign a second keeper, but train up one of the out field players as an emergency keeper.
It needs to be someone tall.........not you Danny,
someone quick & agile..............sit back down Billy!
Yes, of course it must be Joe Oastler...exactly right for the job! after all the most he would have to do is 89 minutes. We could already have a keeper lined up for loan if needed. Don't forget that some managers don't put a replacement keeper on the bench. :clap: :bow: :engflag: :scarf:
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

brucie wrote:He is useless - but i would not be suprised. The club is a joke.
Nothing quite like a well evidenced post...

Matt.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Actually, i think the best option is to just pluck some random keeper out of non-league obscurity, pay him peanuts and stick him on the bench. It is highly unlikely he will be called upon during the course of a season, he will be happy to earning a bit more cash and having the experience of playing for a football league team and Torquay will save loads of money. In the unlikely event Olejnik does so phenomenally well and gets offers from our homeland and signs for the beat team in Europe outside Barcelona, my mighty FC Red Bull Salzburg or simply gets injured for a lengthy period, then we can get in an emergency keeper.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Then why bother with a bench keeper at all, just don't have one if the guy you're gonna have is not good enough to play. That's like making a seat belt out of bog roll, it'll be there, but useless in an accident, so why bother having it?

Matt.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

ferrarilover wrote:Then why bother with a bench keeper at all, just don't have one if the guy you're gonna have is not good enough to play. That's like making a seat belt out of bog roll, it'll be there, but useless in an accident, so why bother having it?

Matt.
Actually, that's a great idea - when you see bus pull out in front you and not give you the chance to stop,the bog roll can help clean up signs of your inevitable...alarm...before the paramedics show up.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

ferrarilover wrote:Then why bother with a bench keeper at all, just don't have one if the guy you're gonna have is not good enough to play. That's like making a seat belt out of bog roll, it'll be there, but useless in an accident, so why bother having it?

Matt.
The keeper would be deemed good enough to play by the manager Matt, better than an outfield player trained up to be a keeper but worse than the established Number 1. Thats what i meant. It may still be a good strategy mate.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
monkeyboy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by monkeyboy »

Would Aaron Ibbetson be allowed to warm the bench with a loan keeper coming in only when Olejnik is injured?
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper

Matt.
I still think the best plan would be to train up Joe Oastler, he should have an extra six shillings a week & be granted a half holiday every second wednesday in the month!! :) :~D :lol: :~D =D =D