It could be worse, just like southend

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

It could be worse, just like southend

Post by tufcbrett »

Just reading up that southend have over 50 players playing two trial matches today. I know they needed players but is that a little desprate.
Or am i reading this wrong and its clever move? One of them trialing is Jake Thomson (good luck to them he they sign him)

So yeah it could be worse, just shows other clubs are worse off than we are.
Tq2Yellow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Derek Dawkins

Post by Tq2Yellow »

As I've said on another thread, Plymouth have 11 players of which two are youth just signed professional terms, their keeper is banned for first match and have two with long term injuries! Should be an interesting team they put out.

Very few teams in Div 2 are signing players - most stripping their teams down to much smaller squads.

Not such a bad place to be with Torquay.
:keepie: :goal: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Jake Thomson is actually a better winger than anyone we have got though - and thats saying something.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Ah yes,but there is a good reason why saul Halpin is still contracted to TUFC,and jake Tomson never was.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

You need a mix of talent and hard work though. Thomson evidently does lack a work ethic, but he does have ability. We have wingers that might work hard on the training pitch, but evidently lack talent. Which would you prefer? A lazy player that might do something good, or a hard-worker unlikely to deliver anything...?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Tq2Yellow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Derek Dawkins

Post by Tq2Yellow »

forevertufc wrote:Ah yes,but there is a good reason why saul Halpin is still contracted to TUFC,and jake Tomson never was.
will be pleased to see Saul Halpin getting a few games under his belt this season and coming of age!
:keepie: :goal: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes indeed TQ2,i think in Halpin we might just have little gem,and i would take him over Tomson any day,hence the reason why he is still with us,and lazy boy is amongst 50 hopefull's at sarfend.lol.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Stevens are Macklin are still with us. Thomson has more ability than both.

As for Halpin, this is a big season for him. If he has the potential that has been suggested, he ought to be ready to force the other two out of the way and find a place into the team. If you're good enough, you're old enough. And if he can't find a way past that pair into the side, perhaps he's not quite as good as has been suggested.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I am not convinced Tomson does have the ability,he went on loan last season to Cheltenham who had a poor team last season,and they did not even want him.

AS for Halpin if he gets his chance ,i do not doubt he will prove himself,mackling with a run of games under a new manager,may just surprise a few fans,he needs confidence,Macklin has something,he also needs to prove himself.
shepchenko10
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by shepchenko10 »

where did u see this brett according to there website it says there first friendly is on monday 11th. Just interested to see who else is on trial there
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

forevertufc wrote:I am not convinced Tomson does have the ability,he went on loan last season to Cheltenham who had a poor team last season,and they did not even want him.

AS for Halpin if he gets his chance ,i do not doubt he will prove himself,mackling with a run of games under a new manager,may just surprise a few fans,he needs confidence,Macklin has something,he also needs to prove himself.
I think like plenty before him, Thomson does have talent, but also has a poor attitude. And that is what has hindered his career.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

shepchenko10 wrote:where did u see this brett according to there website it says there first friendly is on monday 11th. Just interested to see who else is on trial there
Was on there fans forum, but my mate who was relesed by Cardiff went down and gave it a go.

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthre ... rial-Games" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthre ... mes./page4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Picture of jake Thomson and a few others)
shepchenko10
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by shepchenko10 »

cheers brett
shepchenko10
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by shepchenko10 »

interesting that one of the players mentioned was Rohan Ricketts. There was some confusion at first whether it was him but according to his twitter page he confirmed it and said hes back there on monday. Would av thought he was too good for this level but maybe desperate for a job
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

I think Thomson is a good player, but as has been said, lacks the work effort. He could be a very good player at this level if he was willing to work harder, but some players just aren't willing. Apparently he is one of those. As for Rohan Ricketts, imagine he would be too good for this level. Maybe he's just trying his hand their whilst waiting for a chance elsewhere, or is willing to sign at this level to get spotted because no-one is willing to try him