PSF: Torquay United vs Bristol City

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

SteveDeckchair wrote: Closed to all but the press i'm afraid. The family stand had quite a few flasks of tea and cushions today! :lol:
Outragious! certainly not enough room for the Fortnum & Mason matchday hampers! :~D :clap: :-D :lol:
gcftufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Billy Bodin

Post by gcftufc »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:So after the first Home pre season friendly I think we can all come away from that feeling pretty pleased. It was nice to see the lads play together. The first half was much better than the second but then again the 2nd wasn't a shocker. I think that we played well throughout the majority of the game and looked pretty strong in all parts of the game. I still think that we need a few more players (Striker, 1 or 2 Wingers.) A good attendance I thought (Home and Away) for a friendly. And not to mention a great result even though it was only a friendly.

GK: I thought Bobby was solid throughout his half, kicking was overall good and made a couple of good saves also a good decision to come out to retrieve the ball at a corner. Rice played well as well. At first I thought he would be rubbish but he sprung to life a made a good few saves. His kicking wasn't great but for he had a good performance.

RB: Oastler I thought looked really good. You could see he is a RB and you can only wonder why he wasn't played there last year. However he played well and looked promising. Leadbitter was ok didn't see any spark, just that run he had which was promising but other than that nothing amazing.

CB: Robbo looked like he did last year solid and a good player! Ellis At first looked all over the place but at times he found his ground and played pretty solid. Saah Looked good. Was in control the whole half and a great save of the line. Palmer Nothing great but you wouldn't expect anything amazing from a guy who has never played a first team match.

LB: Nico One of the best players on the field for me in the 1st half. Looked great throughout and a great corner once again for the goal. LRT wasn't really in the game but no mistakes were made so that was good.

RM: Mcphee pleasantly surprised! I thought he played great. A solid performance a completely different Mcphee and I said I would give him a chance to change my mind about him and he is going the right way after that performance. Macklin saw the same kind of player at times did some good things but again nothing special.

CM: Manse much better in midfield always preferred him in midfield and played well once again! Lathrope played ok didn't do anything bad that stood out so it was nice to see him play, I think he could do well if he gets playing time. Eunan played pretty poor nothing like last year but I am not moaning, no need to he hasn't had a great deal of playing time and when he does I'm sure he'll play like he can. Kudi Who? Never heard of him. I presume he's in the reserves or something but then again he didn't play awful!

LM: Stevens pleased with his performance looked good, hopefully he'll get better and can perform high on a weekly basis. Yeoman didn't play well but like Palmer he's a player in the reserves and not played in a first team league game so wouldn't expect anything amazing.

ST: Atieno sign him up! Played really well to score the first goal has to please Ling and not to mention the fans! Kee disappointed really looked slow and still I think to overweight. Not sure Kee should be a player that’s in the starting line up. But hopefully he has a better performance in the next few PSF. Howe reminds me a lot of Bayo. Very big but looks skilful when he gets the ball down to his feet also he got a goal so that is promising as well! Spear first time I have seen him play and I thought he done well. Looked comfortable and solid.

All in all very pleased with how we played looks good at the moment. Bring on scum on Wednesday!

Yellow Army! :scarf:

(edit: I’ll leave it to Jeff and tommyg in future just thought I should put my views on here :lol: )
Agree almost 100% with this Danny , didnt think eunan was that bad though tbh, controlled the midfield well enough , great report though :clap:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Good job Danny, have you thought about the Match Reporter Announcement I made?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

I'm back........

I am struggling to see why there is so much pessimism? Is it so someone can say 'I told you so at some point'. My glass is firmly in the 'Half-full' department and I am looking forward to season starting. I think a few Rovers fans will be taking notice of this result too this evening.

There is merit in bringing in a keeper on 'modest' wages (which I am sure Rice will have accepted) - why spend a lot of money on a keeper that will end up warming the bench most weeks. This does leave more money for other options.

Yes, Rene needs to lose a bit of weight and get up to match speed - we all know he hasn't been training much or played much football so this is to be expected - but if he does - I can see him being a fantastic acquisition - if not Iyseden Christie lookalike might be a better career move. As for McPhee, we will simply have to wait and see. Wouldn't have been my first choice but if Crawley were after him - they must have seen something and he could be a useful substitute - especially if we sign another right sided player.

We have a young squad with some good youth players developing through the system which is good news for the future. A number of our players are also versatile in a different positions - another plus! - Competition for places is also a great incentive.

You can pay a fortune and recruit the best 11 players you can afford and this doesn't guarantee that they will play well together. Team chemistry amongst the players should not be underestimated and I really felt there were a number of players that felt comfortable with each other today. I think Saah looks a great Branston replacement with more composure, good reading of the game, some great last minute interceptions and the ability to play out of defence without hitting the ball out of the ground.

By all accounts, Ling is the complete opposite of Buckle, friendly, approachable and in complete contrast to Buckle, quite humble - I am sure the players will respect him and you can't help feeling that the players were playing more naturally with more freedom and to their strengths today.

If Ling does also recruit two players for each position - this provides an opportunity for squad rotation which will undoubtedly be helpful in a gruelling season!

Yes, I really do feel positive - why not!

Looking forward to Wednesday.
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Top post.

Ling has really impressed me thus far and it's nice to see I'm not alone. The most interesting thing for me about today was the fact that Mansell and Oastler swapped places and both seemed to revel in playing in their natural positions. 1-0 to Ling over Buckle?
Dave

Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

forevertufc wrote:Yes it was a friendly,however i do not have words to express my delight at our first half performance,the passing and movement was as good as i have seen almost total football,what a breath of fresh air to see the shackle's taken off our team,our team playing with freedom and expressing themselves.

If this is the entertainment we are going to be treated to,watch the fan's come flooding back thank you Lingy,and after watching that,Buckle as far as i am concerned can go and commit unthinkable sexual act's on Dolly the sheep.

McPhee i thought had a good 45 mins,nice to see Stevens running at defenders positivly and with confidence again,have to admit not much end product,however if he carries on like that it will come,the trialist who's name i cant spell ,yes please,and its was nice to see that tub of lard that wont score many,hit the back of the net with a shot that almost killed David James.

I know its early doors,but on showing,relegation fodder...NO CHANCE.COYY :clap:
Agree with Dave, a very entertaining first 45 minutes. As alluded to in a previous post, Oastler is definitely a rightsided back four player. In fact, for the first half it was a 3-5-2 formation with Oastler still able to push forward to support down the right flank. Robertson in the central role and Ellis to his left looked comfortable. Where was Nico ? In the advanced wing back role and looked very sharp. Put in a superb delivery (as usual) for Ellis to head back across the box for Atieno to slam home. Yes please Dinger, give Taiwo a contract. Mansell and Lathrope worked hard in midfield and anyone who says Manse can't pass, he played a couple of first touch beauties yesterday.

Bobby in goal, to me, looked like a very fit Tommy Lawrence (The Flying Pig). :clap:
Got a good kick on him and quick to roll the ball out to Oastler. Dealt very comfortably and nonchalantly with a dodgy back pass under pressure.

McPhee worked hard down the right flank and whipped in a few crosses. He'll be a real threat in a more advanced central role. Billy as usual did his puffing best and held the ball up well. His weight will drop off as he now has competition in Bobby and Howe for all the pies. :clap:

Finally, there's Stevens. :@ To be fair, he had a reasonable 45. In particular, he cut in from the left and sent one just over the angle of bar/post. In another from the right, he chipped an advancing James and the effort fell just outside the post. I would like to see more of what Stevens can do down the right side because I know eventually, Mr Angry emoticon( :@ ) will appear on a regular basis if Stevens is only given the left flank. :nod:

To sum up the first half, the 3-5-2 formation restricted Bristol City's forward movement.

I'm off now for a fried breakfast, will be back with the 2nd half later. :engflag:
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Im confused how it was a 3-5-3 Trojan? It was just a 4-4-2 played properly.
Its school boy stuff that if your left or right back goes forward then the other full back will stay back and cover to keep solid at the back. I can see where you see the 3-5-2 but with how much football changes during the game its never boring.

Apart from that very good post, and was good to meet you yesterday outside boots. Also very good post's from other people.

I must say i was very impressed yesterday. For me Oastler at right back was just an amazing move by Ling, he played really well in there. That leaving Mansell to be more happier in the middle of the park and he played very well with some decent passes out to the wings ect. Saying that i still think Leadbitter was good at right back 2nd half so theres good competition for places. All the centre backs looked strong and comfortable in there. Can See Robbo and Saah being the first choice come Burton even though i really do like Ellis.

All the stikers inpressed me, still need one more as we got 3 (Taiwo will sign and good on him for impressing)

Finally Mr Rice, top man for showing his doubters that last time is history. Looked sharpe and can see him giving Bobby a push all the way for the number 1 spot and that will only benefit our team. Who was that guy in goal for City, some told me he was an ex England keeper. He was looking more shakey than i have ever seen him, didnt seem to like any back passes as his kicks were awful. If i was a novice and got told that the 2nd half one of the keepers were ex England, Rice looked the better. :lol:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes according to the O/S Tiawo will be offered a contract on Monday.

http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 99,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Formerly known as forevertufc
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Really pleased to read the reports and definately upbeat for the coming season. I'm not one for making rash predictions but I really don't think we will be in any trouble of relegation. I know it's only pre season but the signes are good :-D Bring on the (*)&&*() from up the road!!
Oblivion!!!!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

forevertufc wrote:Yes according to the O/S Tiawo will be offered a contract on Monday.

http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 99,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well lets hope he has found his home. Has geniune pace and might be a great partnership with Howe. His record means nothing if he can settle here.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

tufcbrett wrote:Im confused how it was a 3-5-3 Trojan? It was just a 4-4-2 played properly.
Its school boy stuff that if your left or right back goes forward then the other full back will stay back and cover to keep solid at the back. I can see where you see the 3-5-2 but with how much football changes during the game its never boring.

Apart from that very good post, and was good to meet you yesterday outside boots. Also very good post's from other people.

So am I ! On reflection it looked more like an outfield TEN of 3-4-3. ;-)

Good to meet you aswell Brett, though more usually I'm IN B&L. (D) :)

Now swiftly on to the next 45 : as promised by Dinger, a complete fresh eleven started the 2nd half. I watched the whole of the next 45 from the Popside/B&L corner. Martin Rice did as well as expected, a basic competent performance. His kicking from hand and deadball was strong, although the swirling wind played its part in taking the ball out of play on occasion. He saw more action than Bobby due to City having more pressure in the 2nd 45.

Palmer looks like he can do a centre back job, but is not yet the finished article. Saah covered the whole defence superbly. LRT was his usual safe functional self and Leadbitter will prove very useful as the season progresses.

Macklin showed at times what I've always felt he could do : go past players using his pace and put the ball on the money. Kudi kept it simple and is one for the future. Yeoman was played out of position but I'm pleased that he coped with the left side. He now has a much stronger physical presence and must take the opportunity this season to step up. O'Kane is O'Kane.

Spear has something of the Tommy Tynan about him. Needs to get his centre of gravity spot on so he doesn't become an early Benyon (too easily brushed off the ball/grounded. Another stone on him will help. Billy ! Share out all your pies ! :clap:

Finally, there's Rene Howe's that for a debut goal ! :clap:
alcohorse
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Richards

Post by alcohorse »

Trojan 67 wrote: Agree with Dave, a very entertaining first 45 minutes. As alluded to in a previous post, Oastler is definitely a rightsided back four player. In fact, for the first half it was a 3-5-2 formation with Oastler still able to push forward to support down the right flank. Robertson in the central role and Ellis to his left looked comfortable. Where was Nico ? In the advanced wing back role and looked very sharp. Put in a superb delivery (as usual) for Ellis to head back across the box for Atieno to slam home. Yes please Dinger, give Taiwo a contract. Mansell and Lathrope worked hard in midfield and anyone who says Manse can't pass, he played a couple of first touch beauties yesterday.

Bobby in goal, to me, looked like a very fit Tommy Lawrence (The Flying Pig). :clap:
Got a good kick on him and quick to roll the ball out to Oastler. Dealt very comfortably and nonchalantly with a dodgy back pass under pressure.

McPhee worked hard down the right flank and whipped in a few crosses. He'll be a real threat in a more advanced central role. Billy as usual did his puffing best and held the ball up well. His weight will drop off as he now has competition in Bobby and Howe for all the pies. :clap:

Finally, there's Stevens. :@ To be fair, he had a reasonable 45. In particular, he cut in from the left and sent one just over the angle of bar/post. In another from the right, he chipped an advancing James and the effort fell just outside the post. I would like to see more of what Stevens can do down the right side because I know eventually, Mr Angry emoticon( :@ ) will appear on a regular basis if Stevens is only given the left flank. :nod:

To sum up the first half, the 3-5-2 formation restricted Bristol City's forward movement.

I'm off now for a fried breakfast, will be back with the 2nd half later. :engflag:
Ha, ha! :lol:

Put me in mind of Big Nev against the green scum some years back. 0-0 after the portly Welsh Wizard threw his frame about the goal for 90 minutes of backs-to-the-wall pressure down at Home Park! Lets hope Bobby can emulate 'Super Nev!' :bow:
He's got Bayes' boots on!
loyalgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by loyalgull »

For those of you that have Gulls Player, the Bristol City highlights are available here...

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/articles/20110716 ... ~1,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

NickGull wrote:This is my first/last thread until the Southampton/Bristol games in August so I'll leave Matt with the honour of doing the rest of the threads.

Torquay United vs Exeter City thread on it's way Matt ? :|