Grandstand delay

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Grandstand delay

Post by Richinns »

Only a delay I hope.

http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/story ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not great news - looks like we will be 3 sided for the whole season now.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

why are we not surprised. how does it get all the way to this point and then "we have had some contractual issues which have not been resolved to our satisfaction". hopefully it will be resolved very quickly and they can get things moving again.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

Worrying news that, I suppose a project this size always faced the possibility of a delay but to have the main contractor leave doesn't bode well. I guess at least it now looks like it won't make any difference when we have our local matches as Plainmoor will be a three sided ground for most of if not all of the season. The timing is a real shame as there will be more local games than we've had for a good number of years so you have to wonder how this will hit the club financially (albeit I think Rovers is our only local home match after xmas). I suppose we'll just have to get used to the fact that maybe we won't see the new stand in operation until next season, I won't mind providing we stay up - there would be nothing worse than opening a new stand for conference football! Hopefully that won't be the case though.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

It really isn't difficult in business. Firstly, you do not announce that any building works that will happen until contracts have been signed. Unless there is a problem which is outside of the club and contractor's control, then there is a contract signed and if one company pulls out, then the other receives compensation for it.

I have had 2 pieces of building work and seen 3 others through my parent's business. Every single one of them was done on time and to budget. And why were they done on time and to budget? Because I f*cking told them to do it on time and to budget!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

My girlfriends old man is now working on this and insures me not to panic!

This is the email he sent:

"Yes we are the new team on the job don't panic Dicky we will have it sorted by the end of the year ( not confirming which year!! )

At least you won last night against Exeter so the team might be at least taking shape"
TUST member 328
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

What does he mean "have it sorted"? Built or they'll start building by then?
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
alcohorse
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Richards

Post by alcohorse »

There are no worries on this. The contractors were wanting a big pot of cash set aside for the duration of the project and TUFC weren't prepared to do that. New contractors in and it will crack on as scheduled...
He's got Bayes' boots on!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

cambgull wrote:What does he mean "have it sorted"? Built or they'll start building by then?
He is a cad designer so all the plans and detail are having to be re-done so start from scratch I guess. Would not worry - these guys are vey good and very local as well.
TUST member 328
alcohorse
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Richards

Post by alcohorse »

Richinns wrote: He is a cad designer so all the plans and detail are having to be re-done so start from scratch I guess. Would not worry - these guys are vey good and very local as well.
The plans are done by the architects and are not affected by the replacement of the contractor. No plans will be changed/redrawn, the new builders just need to get their heads around them
He's got Bayes' boots on!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

alcohorse wrote: The plans are done by the architects and are not affected by the replacement of the contractor. No plans will be changed/redrawn, the new builders just need to get their heads around them
There are developments to these plans. This does not mean it will add to the timescale of the build, I have no idea what (if any) these changes will have to that.
I saw them last Friday as he brought a copy home for me to see. They are not being redrawn but he and is company are working with them everyday. He specifically mentioned he was working on the accommodations underneath the stand (I.T. suite etc etc).

He even brought home a photocopy and adapted it to show my supposed seat and then placed a picture of a Crawley fan behind me (very funny man!! – I did not have the heart to tell him I will remain on the popside!!).
TUST member 328
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

This is an interesting development. Since Mansells are a reputable constructing contractor who, as far as I am aware, are not currently in trouble like ROK and Connaught were, I can only imagine their insistence on a "project bank" approach (if alcohorse is correct) is because they think that TUFC are not a good financial bet.

It may be that, having won the tender, their Board undertook a risk analysis and decided that the chance of the Club folding during the contract and leaving them without payment was too high, hence the insistence on ringfenced monies put on account.

It is probably no more than a sign of the times.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I might of read this wrong, but I thought I saw in the Herald that they won't start on the Grandstand until October? I'm not bothered about us having 3 sides this year. It'll make it a better atmosphere because I would presume many who stand up in the Grandstand will move over to the Popside and the ones that can't get in the Family Stand, because surely the Family Stand will be full this year which will be nice to see.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Or is it an ineviatable consequence of Plymuff meltdown. After all I don't blame any contractor wanting concrete assurance at the moment.
The market is too fluid. Well except for SG's that is. he would want it more Fluid as that means more magners
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843