Martin Ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

I am really looking forward to this new season under new management. We have a decent squad and it is nice to see Martin Ling back where he rightfully belongs in the Football League working with proper footballers ;-)
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

Sexy_Gulls wrote:Christ alive, Martin Ling was rubbish at Cambridge. We get it!!

Fact is he ain't managing Cambridge United anymore, he is managing Torquay United and what we, Torquay United fans, have seen so far we approve of and we, Torquay united fans, are not going to change our opinion based on what Cambridge United fans say about his time at Cambridge United, because he is now managing Torquay United.
You get this different clubs thing I'm getting at?...
IF 2 months in to his tenure we are passing the ball regularly into the wreckage of the old grandstand while O'kane is loaned out to Exeter because of a falling out with Ling, then yes we will change our opinion of him and call him a crap manager. Thats the thing isn't it, opinions of players/managers must be built on their record for your club, in this case Torquay United, because we are Torquay United fans.

Sorry to be so obtuse, it's just this thread made me actually sign in rather than just lurk. You've no idea...

Roy Hogdson has been mentioned previously and he's the perfect example. Brilliant at Fulham on a limited budget and working with dedicated pros. Rubbish at Liverpool, but working with backroom turmoil and players who seemed unwilling to put in the hard graft. So Hodgson was able to work brilliantly in a stable environment but unable to work well when it wasn't, and Hodgson definetly contributed to the sense of doom around Anfield. So there you go, 2 different clubs with 2 different situations and a manger who was only good enough for one. Hodgson has now proven he is a good manager buy returning to a stable club without prima-donnas (West Brom) and doing an excellent job again.

:-D :clap:
Brady

I Wish I Was There
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Excellent post sexygulls :bow: :engflag:
The gulls are going up
Gashead1979
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Gashead1979 »

ferrarilover wrote: You can offer all the alternative names you like, but until you can provide evidential proof to counteract my argument SPECIFIC TO MARTIN LING, your protestations will continue to be mere irrelevancies.

Matt.
You said Ling is a good manager as he took Orient from bottom of L2 to Midtable L1, therefore you must be saying that for every other manager that has done the same surely??!.

I've given you 3 examples of managers who have done the same; 2 are now coaches and 1 is still out of work.

As far as I knew Ling left orient near the bottom of the table when he left them by mutual consent, then had a 'mare at Cambridge.

You cant judge managers until they do the job, they could be brilliant at one club and disastrous at the other, our fans know that in recent times but to say promotion from L2 makes someone a good manager is ridiculous.
Last edited by Gashead1979 on 05 Aug 2011, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
TCP
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Josh Coulson

Post by TCP »

Sexy_Gulls wrote:Christ alive, Martin Ling was rubbish at Cambridge. We get it!!

Fact is he ain't managing Cambridge United anymore, he is managing Torquay United and what we, Torquay United fans, have seen so far we approve of and we, Torquay united fans, are not going to change our opinion based on what Cambridge United fans say about his time at Cambridge United, because he is now managing Torquay United.
You get this different clubs thing I'm getting at?...
IF 2 months in to his tenure we are passing the ball regularly into the wreckage of the old grandstand while O'kane is loaned out to Exeter because of a falling out with Ling, then yes we will change our opinion of him and call him a crap manager. Thats the thing isn't it, opinions of players/managers must be built on their record for your club, in this case Torquay United, because we are Torquay United fans.

Sorry to be so obtuse, it's just this thread made me actually sign in rather than just lurk. You've no idea...

Roy Hogdson has been mentioned previously and he's the perfect example. Brilliant at Fulham on a limited budget and working with dedicated pros. Rubbish at Liverpool, but working with backroom turmoil and players who seemed unwilling to put in the hard graft. So Hodgson was able to work brilliantly in a stable environment but unable to work well when it wasn't, and Hodgson definetly contributed to the sense of doom around Anfield. So there you go, 2 different clubs with 2 different situations and a manger who was only good enough for one. Hodgson has now proven he is a good manager buy returning to a stable club without prima-donnas (West Brom) and doing an excellent job again.
Christ on a bike. Take a deep breath and calm yourself down.

My last comment was meant in a purely 'tongue in cheek' fashion.
CUFC4LIFE
Sexy_Gulls
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Sexy_Gulls »

Well I've been following this thread for a while and read most of it. It wasn't directed at you or your last post, more at the sum of all the posts from Cambridge United over the last 10 or so pages.
TCP
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by TCP »

I understand.

Please accept my humble apologies anyway

:K
CUFC4LIFE
Gashead1979
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Gashead1979 »

Bottom line is to judge after at least 10 games. Same goes for us with Buckle, as so far he has achieved nothing.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

We’re quite happy to concede Ling has ‘achieved nothing’ in a real sense. But he’s already picked the club up off the ground after the farce of the Play-Offs and the departure of Buckle. He’s made some decent signings – considering a reduced budget, and seems to have a desire to play a decent brand of football. Forgive us for feeling surprisingly chipper, when all appeared quite bleak just two months ago.

We understand Cambridge fans don’t rate him. Or perhaps it’s more about not liking him after some comments he’s made since leaving? Either way, it doesn’t matter how much they come here telling us what a disaster he’ll be – we’ll decide for ourselves, when he’s had a chance to prove himself one way or the other. Maybe he did make some mistakes in his time in Cambridge (he’s admitted as much himself). There’s just a chance he might learned a few things along the way and is ready to have another go with that important information stored for future reference. The problems he faced there might just prove of benefit to us in the long run…
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Gashead1979
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Gashead1979 »

Fonda wrote:We’re quite happy to concede Ling has ‘achieved nothing’ in a real sense. But he’s already picked the club up off the ground after the farce of the Play-Offs and the departure of Buckle. He’s made some decent signings – considering a reduced budget, and seems to have a desire to play a decent brand of football. Forgive us for feeling surprisingly chipper, when all appeared quite bleak just two months ago.

We understand Cambridge fans don’t rate him. Or perhaps it’s more about not liking him after some comments he’s made since leaving? Either way, it doesn’t matter how much they come here telling us what a disaster he’ll be – we’ll decide for ourselves, when he’s had a chance to prove himself one way or the other. Maybe he did make some mistakes in his time in Cambridge (he’s admitted as much himself). There’s just a chance he might learned a few things along the way and is ready to have another go with that important information stored for future reference. The problems he faced there might just prove of benefit to us in the long run…
You can't really judge signing until they play first team games either. Many on here loved Zabroski, I saw nothing in pre season to put him above Joker4, McGleish or Harrold but don't read anything into those games.

Similarly we can understand TUFC fans not liking Buckle, but to hear fans constantly tell us of his shortcomings seems strange (and almost similar to ours with Paul Trollope) considering what he did for your club out of practically nothing.

Bring on tomorrow, can't wait.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

Gashead1979 wrote: You can't really judge signing until they play first team games either. Many on here loved Zabroski, I saw nothing in pre season to put him above Joker4, McGleish or Harrold but don't read anything into those games.

Similarly we can understand TUFC fans not liking Buckle, but to hear fans constantly tell us of his shortcomings seems strange (and almost similar to ours with Paul Trollope) considering what he did for your club out of practically nothing.

slightly contradictory there mate. you don't want to hear our opinions on Buckle, but continue to visit our forum, and try to defend him, and criticise us, when you do the same with regard to trollope. so we shouldn't criticise buckle, while you criticise trollope ?? i'm confused what you're really trying to say on this one ?? but i do agree you get a better idea of what managers/players etc are capable of, when it really matters. in this case, we're all in the same boat, new manager, new players, decent pre-season, optimistic for the coming season. we'll find out in 46 games time.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Regiment wrote: slightly contradictory there mate. you don't want to hear our opinions on Buckle, but continue to visit our forum, and try to defend him, and criticise us, when you do the same with regard to trollope. so we shouldn't criticise buckle, while you criticise trollope ?? i'm confused what you're really trying to say on this one ?? but i do agree you get a better idea of what managers/players etc are capable of, when it really matters. in this case, we're all in the same boat, new manager, new players, decent pre-season, optimistic for the coming season. we'll find out in 46 games time.

:clap: My sentimets exactly Brady. I said this earlier. Lets see where we all are come next May. It's a marathon not a sprint.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Gashead1979 wrote: You can't really judge signing until they play first team games either. Many on here loved Zabroski, I saw nothing in pre season to put him above Joker4, McGleish or Harrold but don't read anything into those games.

Obviously, only when the real action starts do you get a proper idea of a players quality. But I’ve already seen enough to know that Bobby Olejnik is a more complete keeper than Bevan, Brian Saah, whilst not as physically dominating, reads the game better than Branston. Joe Oastler is a far better right back than Lee Mansell, and Lee Mansell is a far better midfielder than Joe Oastler. Quite why anyone would play them the other way round, is beyond me. Ian Morris has a left foot, which already makes him better than any other player that’s been on our left wing for 4 years. And Rene Howe, whilst lacking a bit of fitness has decent ability and already looks a more accomplished finisher than Chris Zebroski. These things I can already tell – competitive matches or not.

And yes, most of our support dislike Paul Buckle for the manner in which he left, and the disrespect he showed to our club, rather than his abilities as a football manager. My suggestion was perhaps similar is true of the Cambridge lot with Ling. He hasn’t been overly complimentary about their club (perhaps understandably so), and football fans don’t tend to appreciate that.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
TCP
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by TCP »

He hasn’t been overly complimentary because he correctly got sacked for not being up to the job he was well paid to do.

It's as simple as that really.
CUFC4LIFE
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

You said Ling is a good manager as he took Orient from bottom of L2 to Midtable L1, therefore you must be saying that for every other manager that has done the same surely??!.

I've given you 3 examples of managers who have done the same; 2 are now coaches and 1 is still out of work.

As far as I knew Ling left orient near the bottom of the table when he left them by mutual consent, then had a 'mare at Cambridge.

You cant judge managers until they do the job, they could be brilliant at one club and disastrous at the other, our fans know that in recent times but to say promotion from L2 makes someone a good manager is ridiculous.
That is completely false logic. We are back to one of the first things I said. If one man has a car accident and kills his passenger, does this mean that all men are liable to have fatal car accidents? No, absolutely not.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"