No keeper on the bench

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
luketufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

No keeper on the bench

Post by luketufc »

With Ellis, McPhee, Lathrope, Macklin and Atieno on the bench for the Burton match it meant we had no goalkeeper cover.

Do people reckon this will be a regular occurence and is it a good or bad thing. And also if Bobby was to become injured during a match who would be put between the sticks?

IMO it does allow more opportunites for Ling to change the game but with players like McPhee who are versatile i don't think this is a risk that needs to be taken.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

McPhee, seems to play everywhere else ;-)
The gulls are going up
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Ellis would make a half decent keeper, perhaps even Atieno could do it too.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

I'd rather have Stevens in goal than Rice plus I'd rather have 5 players who can influence the game/be covered in the outfield positions. So Ive no problem having no keeper on the bench.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

How about Stevens in goal and Rice on the wing!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Scottish Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Scottish Gull »

IMO (and probably a bit biased) you should ALWAYS have keeper cover. I'd rather play it safe and have a keeper sitting on the bench I.C.E than have no cover incase of a red card/injury, especially in the modern game the amount of keepers now playing sweeper keeper.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
DJAF
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

kevgull wrote:How about Stevens in goal and Rice on the wing!
That would be immense. Our goal threat from out wide would be improved in an instant. :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Scottish Gull wrote:IMO (and probably a bit biased) you should ALWAYS have keeper cover. I'd rather play it safe and have a keeper sitting on the bench I.C.E than have no cover incase of a red card/injury, especially in the modern game the amount of keepers now playing sweeper keeper.

Slight differance when an outfield player will be as good/better than the second choice keeper though ;-)
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Swear I read that McPhee had played in goal before? As Smiffy says, the fact that we only have 5 now means we should focus more on the outfield players, for me.
Scottish Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Scottish Gull »

I understand where your coming from on both fronts. That is a downfall when an outfield player is better than our backup keeper. But easily fixed extra training sessions, although it will take time. What I should've said in my first post though is that it is soul-destroying for a keeper to sit on the bench and do nothing (speaking from personal experience). But as I said I would always play it safe regardless of how good or bad the lad is!
DJAF