CONGRATULATIONS

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

CONGRATULATIONS

Post by friendlygas »

Congratulations on your deserved win yesterday.Still cant quite believe how we handed you the 3 pts on the plate in the first quarter of an hour but we did and thats it. I don't think i really underestimated your side but certainly didnt expect us to concede like that. I felt for your performance you deserved to win but probably over the 90 minutes we deserved a draw. Thought Carayol was taering you to threads when he was replaced-couldnt quite understand that one as we were well on top then and seemed strange to break that up but this game out of the way will probably do both of us good.Just hope we play a little bit better on Tuesday or we will be in trouble against Northampton. Hope you enjoyed a safe stay in Bristol and once again,Well Done!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Thanks mate, although I think we'd have felt robbed if we hadn't won that game. When I think back to the clearcut chances we had that went begging, some wonderful saves from Bevan. Carayol did a lot of running but was there really much end product? You'll have to get used to Buckle and his odd substitutions, we did.

I didn't see any bother from Rovers fans at all, although one of our fans, someone I know well, was spat on as he left it was a great away day. The Wellington was a good, if busy drinking hole and we were well received there. Good to meet up with Regiment, Basingstoke Gull, Forevertufc, B-C Gull, Evertoned, Awayday and tktufc91 as well as seeing HRG there too.

Shame I didn't get to meet up with BritishGas, I gather he got held up elsewhere.

What were your thoughts on the performance of Howe?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

As I said you deserved to win the game but i really felt over the whole game from our point of view we deserved a draw. Clear cut chances were definitely in your favour.I thought Rene Howe was Motm ,held the ball up very well and caused trouble all game but he hasnt lost his ability to miss easy chances. I think Carayol was outstanding second half and a couple of his crosses should have brought goals. Some of our fans dont rate Bevan but I have to say that I woulds much prefer him in our goal to your keeper who i think could lose you a lot of points due to his lack of height. we should have played on that more.
I think at the time of the substitutions we were starting to get well on top but the trouble with getting on top is you leave yourself open to the break and Howe should have made it 3-1 game over.
Was it a handball by your player in the first half? from where I was it looked a stonewall penalty but as usual with Mr Moss he didnt give much our way. Over the years he has never endeared imself to us (He once sent off four of our players in one game!) and as soon as I saw he was refereeing I was a bit worried. We cant however blame the referree for the result as you played very well and will definitely be up near the top all season.Really hope you beat creepy Crawley but unfortunately will be surprised if you do. We badly need a centre half to go alongside Virgo to tighten up our defence. dont think Robertson would have been that man as if he had been playing for us yesterday Im sure Mr Moss would have picked up on some of his pulling in the penalty area!!!
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

friendlygas wrote:Congratulations on your deserved win yesterday.Still cant quite believe how we handed you the 3 pts on the plate in the first quarter of an hour but we did and thats it. I don't think i really underestimated your side but certainly didnt expect us to concede like that. I felt for your performance you deserved to win but probably over the 90 minutes we deserved a draw. Thought Carayol was taering you to threads when he was replaced-couldnt quite understand that one as we were well on top then and seemed strange to break that up but this game out of the way will probably do both of us good.Just hope we play a little bit better on Tuesday or we will be in trouble against Northampton. Hope you enjoyed a safe stay in Bristol and once again,Well Done!

Cheers. What kind of manager takes off your most effective player at a time when he is tearing the opposition apart eh??

I and most Torquay fans around me were very pleased to see Muzzy go off. Zebs isn't that kind of player and I was confident that we could handle his type of threat. As it happened I actually forgot he was on the pitch once he had skied that chance. Zebs is decent enough and hard working, but on some days he looks like he has put his feet on the wrong way round -yesterday was one of those days! I think Kuffour was decent though. What on earth is going on with Matt Gills corners and what have you done to Craig Stanley?

I think you'll be there or thereabouts at the end of the season, but yesterday was our day. After the summer we have had I think you can give us this one.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Yes....as long as we don't give you the next one!!!!!
gasrex
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by gasrex »

I'm not normally one to get carried away with hype, but I have to say I didn't even contemplate defeat yesterday. I would imagine that that result was worth a 1000 'turn your backs protest' or 'Judas' banners to you .
I didn't think the ref had a great game, but I've seen worse, and in no way did his performance affect the result. It was odd to be stood amongst fans who last year were hurling abuse at Rene Howe- and who before the game were laughing that he looked even more unfit- were now saying what a good player he was- but thats football fans the world over I suppose.
Congratulations on your win, you certainly deserved it, and good luck for the rest of the season.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Thanks to the Rovers fans for their intesting posts on this site, very welcome and enjoyable to read.

One thing guys, when Crawley visit Rovers do us favour and give that fat tw*t Evans and his side kick as much grief as you can, we hate them. They have robbed us time and again with foul tactics and getting at the ref all the time, so spread the word.

I enjoyed the game very much, yes we held on at the end but we had some very good chances ouselves.

Yep, its really odd, some players can be poor at one club and great at another, I guess its about confidence,rspect with the manager, feeling part of a team etc etc.

Its gonna be very interesting seeing how Buckle copes with the expectation a Rovers, at Torquay avoiding relegation is seen as success, that aint gonna be the same with you guys. But listen to his interviews, you will never play badly, even if you lose 5 -0 :) Njoy!
TUST MEMBER
cosmic74
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by cosmic74 »

Nice to see some honest posting from you Rovers boys. As many have said after yesterday we can draw a line in the sand and all move on.

From a personnal point of view, I had a great day, my kids live in Bristol and my 8 year old turned up for footy training in his Torquay kit yesterday morning and got some friendly abuse, but he had the last laugh, so to speak, he is certainly looking forward to next weeks training session!!!

My 2 lads and myself went for a drink in the bar at the ground before the game, we were the first Gulls fans in there and were warmly welcomed. Had a good chat with a couple Rovers fans, and all in all had a thoroughly great day.

I wish Rovers and their fans all the best for the rest of the season

cheers lads

Andy
I live for matchdays!!!!
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Southampton Gull wrote:Thanks mate, although I think we'd have felt robbed if we hadn't won that game. When I think back to the clearcut chances we had that went begging, some wonderful saves from Bevan. Carayol did a lot of running but was there really much end product? You'll have to get used to Buckle and his odd substitutions, we did.

I didn't see any bother from Rovers fans at all, although one of our fans, someone I know well, was spat on as he left it was a great away day. The Wellington was a good, if busy drinking hole and we were well received there. Good to meet up with Regiment, Basingstoke Gull, Forevertufc, B-C Gull, Evertoned, Awayday and tktufc91 as well as seeing HRG there too.

Shame I didn't get to meet up with BritishGas, I gather he got held up elsewhere.

What were your thoughts on the performance of Howe?
Speak for yourself soft lad.... :whistle:
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

well done, and thanks to the gas fans. i've posted my comments about the day elsewhere, but as i'm sure you know, none of us have a problem with rovers as a club, or their fans (despite a few being a bit stupid towards us after the game). paul buckle caused our feelings towards yesterdays game, and from our point of view, it was a very satisfying day. rovers will do well, once buckle finds the right combination on the pitch, they will hammer teams in this division, as there's a lot of quality on the books. we've enjoyed our day, and can now put it behind us for the rest of the season, and rovers too can move on, and no doubt, have a successful season. cheers.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Thanks Friendly gas, great to meet up again with regiment and the normal gang, also nice to meet hrg for the first time aswell, just to echo the sentiments time to put this Buckle thing to bed now, we beat him on his patch, happy day's :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
blueboy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by blueboy »

Just thought I'd pop on and say well done, you thoroughly deserved the win! Good atmosphere from you all too, one of the few away teams that have created a decent one at the Mem.

I've got the hangover from hell today so can't really be bothered to give my in-depth analysis but was really impressed with your team.

Also met up with some of your fans before and after the game and were a really good laugh.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Appreciate the comments guys, did anyone see BritishGas' comments after the game on here? I couldn't get on the forum to see it :(

Good luck for the season, except for when you're down here, of course ;-)
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

To be fair to British Gas, he had thirty more reasons to be annoyed than anyone else :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

That had to be one of my best away days for a while (excluding cup or play off games).

We had our ups and downs with Buckle, but what will frustrate you the most is the "pointless" substitutions. Rather than make a tactical change 2-1 down with 10 minutes to go, Buckle will sub like for like. It's almost like "his" tactics are not wrong but the players are.

As you now realise we have never had a problem with Bristol Rovers, if anything the fans we bumped into were friendly and chatty. Saturday wasn't Rovers v Torquay but Buckle v Yellow Army.

Someone mentioned our atmosphere, we are like that pretty much all the time on awayday, and it is one reason why we have a large % of our home gate who attend away games. I have to say your lot were pretty quiet. Even when you scored you had 2 minutes of chanting and then it was all quiet again. You let us rip the cr@p out of Buckle with no banter from you guys or support for your new manager.

I thought the ref had a good game and didn't see any dodgy decisions which would have changed the result. Everytime you guys attacked, you got your selves in a shooting chance and then smashed it over or wide. I thought both keepers had a blinding day with some really good saves on both parties. Bevan did stop it being 3 or 4-1 especially the period just after you scored.

Am looking forward to the return match and hopefully another visit to Mems park in the future.