Chris Mcphee-A man management test for lingy

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Chris Mcphee-A man management test for lingy

Post by Dave »

In the run up to the Macclesfield game as soon as it was announced that Rene Howe was not going to be fit for the match the first thing to strike me was, who would hold the ball up front, and link up the attacking play something that I think Howe does very well.

The last player I thought of was Chris Mcphee, upon hearing he was going play up front with Atieno I thought that Lingy would have to adapt the style of play to suit, at the end of the match however I was more than pleasantly surprised with the ease that Mcphee did hold the ball up, also with how well Chris linked up with other forward players.

I am not suggesting that Chris Mcphee gave in any way a man of the match performance Saturday, however did enough for me to be worthy of keeping his place in the team up front.

Does this give Martin Ling a selection headache for the Northampton game? And could this be his first real man management test as Torquay manager? If Rene Howe is fit what should Lingy do?

If he decides to bring back Rene Howe as first choice front man how does Lingy handle Chris Mcphee, should he give the hug treatment? Take him to one side and say bide your time Chris you will get your chance, or simply tell him to be a man and accept his decision.

As a fan putting me in the manager’s chair for a minute I think Chris Mcphee showed enough to make me think there is no need to rush Rene Howe back into action and risk a further lay off, I would keep Mcphee in there and bring Howe off the bench if needed.

So what is your opinion, if you had a chance to pick the team which way would you go?
Formerly known as forevertufc
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

My opinion: play howe(if fully fit) and McPhee up together, I'm sure bodin can play as a left winger so drop atieno and Morris
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

As Forever says, if Howe isn't fully fit, play McPhee. He showed he can hold the ball up well. I doubt Atieno would be dropped, although he looked a little lost without Howe on Saturday, in my opinion.
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

I think McPhee did enough to justify retaining his place up front, I suspect we will see Bodin start but probably on the wing in place of Macklin (I think Ling has said enough to indicate he highly rates this lad). I would have Howe on the bench with a few to giving him 20mins or so depending on how the match goes. It would surely send out the wrong signals to the rest of the players to bring him back in. I also think he is going to have a problem with Macklin who played ok on saturday, I don't think he will react very well to being dropped.
Father Jack
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Johhny Rudge

Post by Father Jack »

Is Bodin not left footed? Cant see him playing on the right wing if thats so Mav
Arse! Drink!
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

It's never easy to say when a hamstring is fixed so they will be in no hurry to rush him back. We probably have a better management duo than we ever thought possible in Martin ling & Shaun Taylor so they have my confidence in dealing with that situation and making players like Mcphee feel good about what they have done and what they will potentially do. In fact playing Ellis, in his cameo appearence, where they did suggests to me that they are are already one step ahead of the situation that we are thinking about. Howe will be back in when hes ready regardless.
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

drop morris and Bodin on left....keep macklin on right wing and put Mc Phee up with att....then give Howe a runout in the last 15 minutes...getting him back in gently imho....needs another week to fully heal i say...
shaunicus
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by shaunicus »

Howe in for McPhee, and Bodin/Stevens in for Macklin. McPhee did OK on Saturday but I'm pretty sure we would have scored more with a fully-fit Howe playing - he's a much better player. It's unfortunate for McPhee but Cobblers away are a different kettle of fish to Macc at home and we should play our best team. Actually thought Morris played quite well on Saturday - he gives us balance on the left hand side and tracks back reasonably well so I'd keep him in the side. I still don't see the point in Macklin and don't think I ever will so give one of Bodin or Stevens a go on the right - preferably the former as that gives us the option to go 4-3-3 as we did after an hour against Macc if things don't go to plan.

----------------Olejnik----------------

Oastler-----Saah---Robbo-----Nicho

Bodin----Manse---O'Kane-----Morris

-----------Atieno---Howe--------
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Howe won't be fit enough to start and if you don't get the point of Macklin do tell what you think the point is in having Stevens ahead of him? Doesn't track back, doesn't deliver the type of ball required by our forwards and loses possession more than anyone in the squad. Macklin is far better at all three facets and has done more to justify a starting berth this season than Stevens has done in 4 years.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

We scored 3 goals and conceded none. Stick with the same 11. If Howe is fit put him on the bench. Simples :)
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Given Aaron Kudi's recent Tweets about his disappointment at not linking up with Macklin for the Reserves this week I'm assuming he (Macklin) will be starting on Saturday. More likely to see Morris dropped I think, certainly think Morris has done more (less?) to deserve it.

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Blimey Shaunie, McFree and Macklin (based on the "you're only as good as your last game" principle) are the last two I would be dropping. Especially for a half fit Rene Howe and Danny 'chocolate teapot' Stevens.
Why not just take off Olejnik and let SG have a bash in goal?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

McPhee was eager to play up front in place of Howe. I wasn't there, but based on you guys opinions are we sure that Chris's good performance isn't just because he wanted to prove himself as a striker again? Do we think he could do it week in week out? I think Ling has a structure in mind, and once Howe returns it will be back to usual. Chris just needs to make the most of this oportunity now and get his name on the scorers table.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Nothing to suggest he was trying too hard, Paul. He looked pretty comfortable up front and, despite a slightly ropey finish for his goal, he looked perfectly capable of playing up there. He certainly saw plenty of the ball and managed to use it properly.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Awayday wrote:McPhee was eager to play up front in place of Howe. I wasn't there, but based on you guys opinions are we sure that Chris's good performance isn't just because he wanted to prove himself as a striker again? Do we think he could do it week in week out? I think Ling has a structure in mind, and once Howe returns it will be back to usual. Chris just needs to make the most of this oportunity now and get his name on the scorers table.
That's a dangerous game to play though. Dropping a form player for 'the best' player. The best players become blasé and the others become disillusioned.

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084