Port Vale vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Port Vale vs Torquay United

Post by Plymouth Gull »

After last weekends excellent result against our Green friends, we travel to Stoke to face Port Vale at Vale Park. A tough game, in my opinion, made even tougher without Eunan O'Kane, after his strange booking last week. Still, we're in good form whereas our hosts are not. They haven't found the net for 4 games, and are playing apallingly according to their fans - Tuesday's FA Cup Replay defeat at the hands of Grimsby Town seems to be the final straw for some of them. On a different note, credit must go to the club for the £5 ticket offer for tomorrow nights game, fair play for that and a reward for the Gulls who make it up there (although hopefully the return journey will be with 3 points!).

GULLS NEWS.

We're without O'Kane, and Brian Saah is injured until the New Year. We're being linked with Tom Aldred as a replacement, but we have just over 3 hours until the loan deadline surpasses, so I hope we get someone in quick.

THE OPPOSITION.

Micky Adams is the manager at Vale Park. A cult figure at the club not so long ago, fans detested him for leaving Vale mid-way through last season, with Vale in the top 3. It all went wrong for the club and for Adams, as he failed to keep Sheffield United in the Championship. Vale's season tailed off terribly, finishing outside the top 7.

On the pitch, and in goal it'll likely be Stuart Tomlinson. The former Crewe keeper has been at Vale Park since 2010, making over 50 appearances for the club. His back up is Chris Martin, who has come through the youth ranks at VP. The third keeper is youngster Sam Johnson.

In defence, and at right back we'll see either Adam Yates, or the more experienced Robert Kozluk. Yates has been a regular at Vale for a few years now, whereas Kozluk joined the club in the summer. Kozluk has several years experience, and made a name for himself at Sheffield United, making over 200 appearances at Bramall Lane. On the other side, the left back role can be filled by Rob Taylor or Lee Collins. Taylor can play on the wing and upfront aswell, and has been involved since 2008 at Vale. Collins, on the other hand can play in the heart of the defence or at left back. He has made over a century of appearances at the club. In the middle of the back four, there are a few options. Former Gull Gareth Owen is a regular, as is John McCombe. This was the partnership for Vale last season, which started so strongly last year. Other options at the back include loanee Liam Chilvers and Clayton McDonald, both signings this summer.

In the midfield, in the engine room it is likely to be Anthony Griffith, who likes to sit infront of the back four. His partner in the middle could be any of these; Gary Roberts, Sam Morsy and Doug Loft. Several options to choose from there, with the controversial Roberts being an excellent player on his day. On the wings, then. Another area with plenty of choice. Lewis Haldane can play either on the right or left, as can Ryan Burge and Sean Rigg. Rigg has been doing well this year, hitting the net a few times already. Louis Dodds can play on the wing if necessary, though I believe he enjoys a forward role more.

That brings me on nicely to the attacking position. Captain Marc Richards is probably one of the first names on the teamsheet these days. He's fairly prolific, although I understand he's having a hard time this season. His partner could be Vale-supporter Tom Pope, who made the permanent move from Crewe in the summer. Ben Williamson provides another option upfront.

HOW THEY LINED UP.

This is how they lined up at Blundell Park on Tuesday night:

Chris Martin

Adam Yates
John McCombe
Clayton McDonald
Lee Collins

Sam Morsy
Gary Roberts
Anthony Griffith

Louis Dodds
Tom Pope
Rob Taylor

Subs: Tomlinson, Kozluk, Rigg, Roe, Davis, Lloyd.

LAST TIME AT VALE PARK.

Port Vale (1) 1 [Griffith 37]
Torquay (2) 2 [Wroe 5, Zebroski 28]

Att: 5750 (215 Gulls)

PREDICTION.

Vale 0-0 Gulls
Steve23
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Steve23 »

As a Vale fan I should probably advise you not to tell any Port Vale fans that they play in Stoke if you are up in the Midlands this weekend lol it might not go down to well! As I have said in another thread Vale really are playing awful at the moment and our fans don't help, look out for the boos if we don't score in the first half an hour!! (Which is unlikely to happen!) I predict a Torquay win to be fair and a clean sheet as we can't hit a cows arse with a banjo at the moment! Marc Richards as you quite rightly mention would be the first name on the sheet is currently injured along with Lewis Haldane (although that is a blessing in disguise) and the rest of them are plain useless! My advice is to slap Torquay on any accumulators for this weekend!

I'm always full of optimism me :)
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

It's gotta be 6 in a row! As long as Bodin and Howe can function without Eunan and keep playing the way they have been they're surely in line for more goals.

Plus our inevitable fall from grace after a record number of wins has got to be at home.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Steve23 wrote:As a Vale fan I should probably advise you not to tell any Port Vale fans that they play in Stoke if you are up in the Midlands this weekend lol it might not go down to well! As I have said in another thread Vale really are playing awful at the moment and our fans don't help, look out for the boos if we don't score in the first half an hour!! (Which is unlikely to happen!) I predict a Torquay win to be fair and a clean sheet as we can't hit a cows arse with a banjo at the moment! Marc Richards as you quite rightly mention would be the first name on the sheet is currently injured along with Lewis Haldane (although that is a blessing in disguise) and the rest of them are plain useless! My advice is to slap Torquay on any accumulators for this weekend!

I'm always full of optimism me :)
Didn't realise we had a Vale fan on here! And you've been signed up for over a year aswell! Blimey.

Cheers for the added input mate. :)
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I remember Tom Pope from his Rotherham (I think) days. He went on loan somewhere (somewhere good) and scored against his parent club, twice, made them look a bunch of wallies too.

Starting to tip from "confident because of our good run" into the "it's got to end some time" phase, so I am cautious (probably overly cautious) in predicting a TUFC win.

Thanks also to Steve for confirming what I had been telling people about the PVFC crowd, in so much as they will be much like Crewe and boo if they're not 5-0 up within 10 seconds of kick off.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15871323.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thats sure to fire them up tommorow night.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

I imagine Chris McPhee will come into the O'Kane role so we don't have to change shape - its in this position he got his goals in the conference for Kidderminster.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

exilegull wrote:I imagine Chris McPhee will come into the O'Kane role so we don't have to change shape - its in this position he got his goals in the conference for Kidderminster.
Certainly an option, but personally I would bring Ian Morris back in after an encouraging return from injury in the Reserves (where he scored a cracking goal) and a decent game in the Cup against Chesterfield where he helped set up our first two goals. I would expect Morris to slot in "in the hole" where Eunan plays or as an alternative we could switch Danny Stevens into that position (probably the most "similar" type of player to Eunan we have) and leave Morris out wide on the left.
Last edited by CP Gull on 24 Nov 2011, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

I'd put Morris in the middle aswell. Wouldnt want him out on the wing though as I dont think he has the pace to be an effective winger.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I personally think its something of a no-brainer to drop Morris into O'Kanes position tomorrow night. Although he didn't have the greatest of starts for us, you can see that Morris has a decent footballing brain and can pick a pass. He's not in O'Kane's league, but he is the next best thing we've got. Furthermore, you look at that Vale side and they are a big bunch of lads - one thing that Morris did show is that he's half decent in the air, so anything that can help against Vale's big lads will be a bonus. And finally, if things aren't going so well it gives us the option to change shape to a conventional 4-4-2 with Morris wide left and Bodin up front - not an ideal scenario but at least it gives us an option.

For all their bad form, I would be very wary of writing Vale off. I think part of their problem is when you look at that squad of players, I think all bar McDonald and Pope were there last season (and of course Pope was there on loan last season anyway). They look to have a capable squad of players, but haven't added anyone of note so if anything have regressed whilst others have moved forwards. As I write this I literally read a second ago on the other thread that they have today signed 3 players on loan (O'Conner, Madjo and Myrie-Williams) so it'll be interesting to see if they play a part. Myrie-Williams and Madjo certainly have it in them to cause trouble. Despite the poor form, there are still a number of talented individuals in that squad who on their day could be more than a match for most in the division. We just have to hope that tomorrow night is another of those "not their days"!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I agree with others, I to would put Morris in the middle to replace O'Kane. I am not a big fan of Morris' however when he was moved into the middle at Chesterfield I thought he played better than when he played on the wing. I sadly can't go to this one; I hope that this will be our 6th win in a row; however I predict a 2-2 draw.

COYY!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
kittiwake
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by kittiwake »

I'd like to see Taiwo back in the side. Ling certainly hasn't given up on him like many of the fans who contribut to this site (with the exception of royalgull)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15534739.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's tough being based in Torquay as it's so far for many of the lads to get home. I hear Tai has found it difficult to adapt to the new life and driving up to London and back within 24 hours twice a week takes its toll on the energy levels.

The Bristol Rovers and Southamptom threads rated him highly - one of the better players in the side - so he clearly has the ability at this level.

His performance has been poor of late but he's well aware of that so let's support him whilst he tries to recover his form.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Only issue playing Tai is you'd have to tinker the system a little bit, Ling might do that anyway with Eunan missing. For me with the team going well playing this way you want to make as few changes as possible. Which is why Saah is a straight swap for Robbo with the new lad sub, and O Kane is a straight swap for McPhee who gets a chance in his favoured position and a chance in a side now playing with confidence.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

kittiwake wrote:I'd like to see Taiwo back in the side. Ling certainly hasn't given up on him like many of the fans who contribut to this site (with the exception of royalgull)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15534739.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's tough being based in Torquay as it's so far for many of the lads to get home. I hear Tai has found it difficult to adapt to the new life and driving up to London and back within 24 hours twice a week takes its toll on the energy levels.

The Bristol Rovers and Southamptom threads rated him highly - one of the better players in the side - so he clearly has the ability at this level.

His performance has been poor of late but he's well aware of that so let's support him whilst he tries to recover his form.
Does an obvious answer not present itself immediately and at once?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

kittiwake wrote:I'd like to see Taiwo back in the side. Ling certainly hasn't given up on him like many of the fans who contribut to this site (with the exception of royalgull)

Don't worry Kitti, I am sure your brother/cousin/boyfriend will get another chance at some point. It's up to him to make sure he takes it!
"Also, stands aren't sentient."