FA Cup: Sheffield United vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Need to find a replacement for Lathrope now for this one. One option would be to slot Manse in there, as the "holding" midfielder with Eunan and Morris given licence to push on. Another (perhaps slightly more risky ) option would be to bring Aldred in, to play alongside Ellis, switch Robbo to Right Back and have Joe Oastler in the holding role behind Eunan and Manse. I don't think that Lingy will want to change the system as such but it will be an interesting challenge for him to see how he copes with the loss of Lathrope, as alluded to in his post match interview with Radio Devon.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

We got to try and keep the same defensive line if possible, 4 games without conceeding so best to leave it as it is. Best bet is to play Mansell in Lathropes role, i doubt he will like it but thats what needs to be done.
Inless the new lad Alred can play that role. But i feel O'Kane, Morris and Mansell is our best option. Will be a tough game anyways, so changing a currect defence that is playing well at the moment isnt worth the risk against a top team like Sheff United.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

i'd put Ellis in Lathropes role and put Aldred in defence. See how that goes..
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I think we should leave the defence as it is and stick Manse in Lathropes position. Aldred can come on later if need be.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

But who would go in Mansells place? Morris and O'Kane would be too similar to work together well enough. Both are creative midfielders whereas Manse is someone who does the "dirty work" of the two...So to me that wouldnt work that well.
markw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by markw »

How about this for a replacement .. LRT ? Can tackle, got a good engine, quick..okay limitations are there in respect of his passing , but if he is under instructions to keep it simple.. Wouldn't upset the balance of either the defence or midfield .. I know a real off the wall suggestion, but both Ling and Buckle seem to see something in him..
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Good shout Markw. The main concern however, as you suggested, is his passing. I'm not quite sure LRT has the touch or the pass to be effective in keeping our team in possession. I'd imagine Manse will return to his holding role that he did under Bucks, and O'Kane will do his usual floating around and generally being a menace, and Morris will have to do the 'box-to-box' role, which could be a big test of his fitness having recently returned from injury.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

It is strange to think in the space of a few weeks Lathrope has become a near-irreplaceable member of the starting XI.

Reports from last night's game suggest Morris may've played himself out of contention. Personally, I wouldn't want Mansell to fill what is a more conservative role. Everyone knows Manse's stamina is his biggest asset. We would miss his energy, and I think he lacks the discipline to sit in front of the back four.

Earlier in the season he frequently 'emptied' the central midfield, leaving our defence exposed. Eunan eventually – to his and our detriment - began to sit deeper to try and compensate.

Difficult decision for Ling. Think I'd plump for McPhee. A possible mobility issue aside, what he lacks in quality he would make up for in endeavour.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Interesting call on putting McPhee in there.

I'm not so sure though. I would actually like to see McPhee played in CM, as that is where he scored most of his goals on the BSP, but i don't think he has ever had to play too many games as the 'holding' player for teams, although i could be wrong on that front. You're right though, he would certainly have the work rate for it. Is he good enough in the tackle? I'm not so sure.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
markw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by markw »

McPhee not for me he is more of an attack minded player, this position calls for a defensive mindset. This is why I would prefer a defender in that role. But without diisrupting our present back 4.
SDYellow
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The next scorer

Post by SDYellow »

I would have thought put manse as the holding midfielder and use o'kane and mcphee as the two more attack minded midfielders. although like CPGull i thought about putting aldred and ellis in CB and robertson back at RB and oastler there, but i thought that was to much of a change and we want to keep the changes simple so we keep the fluidity mansell always does the nitty and gritty in games, if we just restrict him going forward and bring mcphee in, i believe this is the simplest change.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Spot on SDYellow.

Do you guys reckon there will be a minutes silence for Gary Speed who tragically has died. He was a hero at Bramall Lane after all.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

austrianandygull wrote:Spot on SDYellow.

Do you guys reckon there will be a minutes silence for Gary Speed who tragically has died. He was a hero at Bramall Lane after all.
Probably. Certainly should be.
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

markw wrote:McPhee not for me he is more of an attack minded player.
Having started his career at Brighton as a striker, it's hard to argue McPhee isn't an 'attack-minded' player. However, I think his best attributes are his work rate and competitiveness (on the ground and aerially). These are transferrable to a defensive role, and he has experience. Despite his goals for Kidderminster, he was also used as a RB and CB during his time at Aggborough.

For me, we need to look beyond McPhee as an attacker because he clearly lacks skills more frequently associated with attacking players: finishing, flair, pace. Returning to my primary point (why I'm uncomfortable with Mansell replacing Lathrope) if McPhee does start in a more advanced role than Manse, I just hope Ling makes a point of asking him to cover defensively when the skipper bursts forward.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Although McPhee is regarded as an attack-minded player, remember that he did have his best spell of his career playing at Centre back/Right Back for Weymouth - that was when he picked up his England C caps, and playing in those positions too.

However, FWIW, I'd move Oastler into that position as he is the most natural fit for it, and I was impressed with how he played last season. Gives us the opportunity to move Robbo to right back and play Aldred at Centre back, or if Aldred is cup-tied keep the centre backs the same and give Leadbitter a run. I don't think it is so important to keep the back 4 the same - they've played enough now to know each other.