RIP Gary Speed

General chat about anything else goes here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

R.I.P Gary Speed also saw a few Leeds games, thought Speed was very much an under-rated player.
Formerly known as forevertufc
DTG
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Anyone but McNeil

Post by DTG »

I'm going to get grief for this, but...........the people I feel sorry for are his poor children. They must be distraught and the mental anguish they are now going to have is awful. So is this the act of a "legend" or a selfish, cowardly man who has condemned his friends and family?
GET PHILLIPS OUT NOW!!!
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Of course we all feel for his children, they will forever wonder why he did what he did. But I have a lot of sympathy for people who feel that things are so hopeless that they have no other choice. I myself had some issues not long after my daughter was born, and at its worst hardly a day went by without the thought crossing my mind. My reasoning in my confused mind was not that I was being selfish, but that it would be the best thing for her if I wasn't around anymore.

Suicide is not an act of cowardice it is an act of desperation.
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Heard this on Talk Sport yesterday while I was down the river wetting a line. Always carry the radio to keep me company on the bankside so I heard the really shocking news. Wasn't he on TV the day before? What happended will all come out in the popular press, along with a lot of rumour so I just hope the family find some comfort in their time of grief and distress. Just so sad to hear this about a genuinly well loved and respected professional. Rest in peace Gary
Oblivion!!!!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

DTG wrote:I'm going to get grief for this, but...........the people I feel sorry for are his poor children. They must be distraught and the mental anguish they are now going to have is awful. So is this the act of a "legend" or a selfish, cowardly man who has condemned his friends and family?
To save a fight, I'll say nought more than I disagree most strongly with the nature of this post.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

ferrarilover wrote: To save a fight, I'll say nought more than I disagree most strongly with the nature of this post.

Matt.
Matt you may have a Ford Nectarine but I totally agree with you on this.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

There is obviously more to the story than whats been released. To be honest the public doesn't really need to know anymore but no doubt rancid rags like the Daily Mail and the Sun will continue digging 'for us'.

It's absolutely tragic when anyone feels the degree of hopelessness where this is the only solution. On the face of it there is nothing in Speed's life or previous history to suggest this was ever on the cards. If this news was about Gazza, Maradona or someone whose had previous mental illness or problems in their life there would be sadness but some sort of understanding or reasoning. This is such a bolt out of the blue and so puzzling, like I say there has to be more to this for this horrible event to have happened.

RIP Gary Speed, a player that I saw a few times live in the flesh in recent years in his Bolton days and I think if memory serves me right he played in the cup final for Newcastle in 99 against Man Utd, i was at that game also. Was one of them players that was never really a fashionable player but no side ever left him out. One of the first names on the sheet, brilliant in the air, very Tim Cahilll like in the way he'd join the attack from midfield and score lots of goals with his head. Decent left foot as well, a sad loss to the game and like everyone has said most importantly horrendous for his family.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

I very much doubt any details as to the reasons for this will reach the general public, which could be for the best.

RIP Gary Speed
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

shows what the guy was like, that he is held in high esteem by all football fans. fans of clubs he played for, fans of clubs he played against, and fans with no direct link at all.

very sad, thoughts with his wife, kids, friends and family.

RIP.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Kinky John Fowler
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Kinky John Fowler »

ferrarilover wrote: To save a fight, I'll say nought more than I disagree most strongly with the nature of this post.

Matt.
Good call, Ferrarilover

Like everyone else, I dont know why he did what he did, but surely he must of been in a very dark place to do it. Sometimes people in that posistion start thinking that their family and friends would be better off without them. Whether this is what Gary Speed was thinking or not (who knows?), people who find themselves in that posistion need help and should never be called selfish or cowardly. Just my opinion though.

RIP Gary Speed and deepest sympathies to his family