Reasons to be cheerful: Stockport County.

General chat about anything else goes here.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Reasons to be cheerful: Stockport County.

Post by ferrarilover »

Wotcha!

You'll recall, some short while ago, that we played (eventually) Stockport County in an FA Cup tie. At the time, we won 4-0 (I think) and Benners got a hat-trick. They were bottom of L1, but they were L1 none-the-less.

As it stands tonight, they are in the relegation zone in the Conference, (and, for those who haven't seen, they got humped 7-0 by Grimsby) having suffered consecutive demotions. My question, and the potential source of their reason to be cheerful is this: would they be the first side to be genuinely demoted three consecutive years (no points deductions, no multiple division deductions, no famine, pestilence or war etc) or have other sides done the same that we know of?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Didn't Northampton do that after three successive promotions?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Albeit Wikipedia but they were relegated 3 times in 4 years SG after 3 promotions in 6 years. 65-66, 66-67 and 68-69 (relegations).

I'm sure there is probably another case at some point in history but you could well be right. I know they've had money problems but I think we should include Argyle, just so we can point and laugh.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Bristol City have done it aswell, relegated from the old division 1 in 1979, 1980 relegated from 2 divison, 1981 relegated from division 3.

http://www.footballstatisticsresults.co ... eague.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; thought they had, checked on the linked site, which has league tables going back to 1950 :-D
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Agree about Argyle, I'll include them if (when) they go down. I wonder if 4 on the bounce is realistically possible.

Matt.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Gritton is currently one of the members of the squad at County and by all accounts has been rather disapponting. After a brief spell in the side early in the season he was dropped and never heard of again, until he made his ill-fated started in their 7-0 mauling in the week. I think Gritts might make the step into coaching sooner rather than later!
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I was at that FA Cup game at Macc, i remember a few of the home Macc fans standing in our end to give us their support. They were truly awful that night and by the looks of things they haven't improved since. Anyone who can ship 7 against the codheads have got serious problems but i think they should be ok. I bet start of the season the county fans would have been thinking they are going straight back up again with Hamann at the helm and the promise of money. Never usually works out like that at that level though ( unless you are Crawley and have loads of money AND cheat).
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Stoke_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Stoke_Gull »

I was at that game at Macclesfield, most memorable things from that game were Stockport getting torn apart and that Stockport's vocal support was reduced to a a bloke singing on his own and getting it all back from a couple of hundred Gulls

I was in Blackpool a few weeks ago, my dad and I decided to go and watch Fleetwood Town play against Stockport County. Fleetwood played them off the park for large amounts of the game but in the end they only won by an single goal and the scoreline was 2 - 1 to the hosts. Mind you, considering Stockport's terrible form and bad league position they managed to take over 1000 supporters with them and they were singing almost constantly up until about the 70th minute when the conceded the second goal. If Fleetwood come up which I suspect they will I would definitely recommend a visit to Highbury.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Come on Stokie, CLEARLY, the most memorable thing from that game was the utter brilliance of the Macclesfield fans making our end (and, consequently, the entire ground) go absolutely silent every time their keeper got a goal kick, then, in perfect unison, shouting TW*T! just as the keeper kicked the ball. Genius, and not ever seen again.

Matt.
Stoke_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoke_Gull »

Ah what memories come flooding back now. I knew that their keeper would get 45 minutes of non stop stick in the second half, Owain Fon - Williams I believe his name was. No idea where he is now. If I remember correctly had we not been drawn against Brighton in the next round of the cup? Can't imagine why else we would be singing "Bring on the Brighton!"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

If Matt was there it would seem the perfect destination for someone of his sexual preferences :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper

Post by MidDevon »

Ok I am an anorak I know, but when Bristol City dropped from the 1st division to the 4th it was actually 2 different clubs as Bristol City folded in 1982 and we re-formed. If the same thing had happened today then Bristol City would have dissapeared completely under FA rules....

The first season Bristol City were in the 4th division, they very nearly finished bottom and were indeed botom of the division for some time before a late run.....I actaully saw them get walloped 7.1 at Northampton Town on the old cricket pitch ground and could not believe that just 3 years earlier they were playing Manchester United
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Roberts

Post by BritishGAS »

MidDevon wrote:Ok I am an anorak I know, but when Bristol City dropped from the 1st division to the 4th it was actually 2 different clubs as Bristol City folded in 1982 and we re-formed. If the same thing had happened today then Bristol City would have dissapeared completely under FA rules....

The first season Bristol City were in the 4th division, they very nearly finished bottom and were indeed botom of the division for some time before a late run.....I actaully saw them get walloped 7.1 at Northampton Town on the old cricket pitch ground and could not believe that just 3 years earlier they were playing Manchester United
They became Bristol City Football Club 1982 LTD when they were already in the 4th division.

So it was the same club.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I am pretty sure that Swansea City did it in the 80's. They (I think I am correct in this) hold the record for rising from our division (the old 4th) to the top of the 1st (now Premier) and then all the way down to the 4th again.
If I am also correct the manager under their rise was John Toshack. not sure whether he was manager all the way down though.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843