A Truly Gruelling Challenge

General chat about anything else goes here.
SDYellow
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The next scorer

A Truly Gruelling Challenge

Post by SDYellow »

Hey everyone.

Me and a couple of mates (one is Yellowsmiffy and we are all fellow TUFC fans) have recently decided on embarking a crazy challenge. We thought a cycle from Roscoff to Santander would be fun! :-/ A distance of roughly 900 miles by cycle routes and roads.

We are raising money for Devon Air Ambulance because of the amazing job they do everyday. The decision to raise money for the Devon Air Ambulance is because of a horrific 'freak' accident that happened to Yellowsmiffy's father, Phil, (who frequently uses this forum and is a season ticket holder at TUFC) whilst walking in the Devon countryside. If it wasn't for the Devon Air Ambulance he would not be with us now.

A justgiving webpage has just been set up to support the cause and can be accessed via:

http://www.justgiving.com/roscoff-santander

Any donation, no matter how big or small will be hugely appreciated, also it would be great if you could share this webpage on social networking sites.

I will be setting up a blog about training and the journey in the not to distant future and will let you all know the website when it is available.

Thank you everyone!

:scarf: COYY :scarf:

P.S moderators I wasn't sure where to post this, so move it, sticky it as you see fit.
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

I couldn't afford much but iv'e donated nonetheless. I very much respect and admire you for doing this and the cause is a very good one. Best of luck!
SDYellow
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by SDYellow »

Thank you very much Parry.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Mike, sorry to hear about Phil. I do hope he's ok, send him my best wishes.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

This should be moved back to the main board. Hardly anyone looks at these boards. Surely whoever the mod is must admit that more people will see this on the main board? It's for charity ffs; who cares whether its TUFC related.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Parry, it's in the correct place. If we made an exception for this we'd end up with a Main Board full of charity threads. People do read the Popside Board as other threads clearly show. Unfortunately once someone reads a thread of this nature they rarely return.
Dave

Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

Southampton Gull wrote:Parry, it's in the correct place. If we made an exception for this we'd end up with a Main Board full of charity threads. People do read the Popside Board as other threads clearly show. Unfortunately once someone reads a thread of this nature they rarely return.
It wouldn't though would it. Even if that was the case - this isn't just any charity thread, it's being raised for a local charity important to us all, by a fellow supporter, the least you could do is put it in the domain where it's most likely to be seen by other Torquay supporters.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

You've been given the final decision and the reasons for it.
Dave

Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

Southampton Gull wrote:You've been given the final decision and the reasons for it.
Yes I have, and now of-course I realise that a competition to win a polo shirt is far more important, how silly of me.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I guess when you own and run a fans forum you can decide what can be posted and where. On this Board we have 3 Charity threads, all have been posted on in the last 10 days. Now maybe this thread should be left for people to look at without having to read your refusal to accept a decision which isn't yours to make? Just a suggestion.
Dave

Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Hi Parry,
Sorry but my topic isn't in the main board as it's an annoucement across all the boards so it's effectively meant to be shown in all the boards. It's a way of promoting our facebook page more than the T-Shirt to be honest.
People do read the Popside board - I monitor the site usuage monthly and see hundreds of thousands hits a month in the Popside board alone. Alternatively you could always place a link to this topic within your signature space which would be shown at the bottom of all your forum posts.
EDIT: Have moderated my own topic ;-) Sorry!
Thanks,
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

Thanks for the reply Louis, I can see now your topic (which i don't actually have a problem with) is not just on the main board. I highlighted it as (to me at least) it is fairly inconsequential compared to this charity event. However, as one of your mods said, it's your ship and how you choose to sail it is up to you. I think you do a brilliant job on the whole and i'm fully appreciative of the time and effort you put into the board.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

Thanks Parry, means a lot :)

Very best of luck with the bike ride guys, I have donated - would have loved to have donated more than the fiver but I've donated so much money this month to charities like Sport Relief this month. Cheers!
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

SDYellow
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by SDYellow »

Louis, don't apologise mate.
Thank you very much for the donation.
Parry good effort on trying to get it moved but as this isn't directly linked to the club then I guess this is the right place.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

Great idea to raise funds for such a deserving cause! One which is close to my heart - literally!!!

Good luck for your venture and you have another contribution to your fundraising target!
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint