AFC Wimbledon v Torquay United - 21/4/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

bixieupnorth wrote:I wonder how many we'd have taken of tickets had been unlimited? despite the shameful turnout on Saturday I'd have expected 1000 perhaps to make the trip up to London? what's their average crowd, they could be kicking themselves for not making more space available to us at this important stage of the season.

hoping for an away win but will make my final prediction after tomorrow nights game
Bixie, you keep talking about our shameful crowd on Saturday, but yet it was full bar 650 away fans.

I think if it was pay on the day at Wimbledon we'd have taken well in excess of 1000. There must be 300 London gulls dotted around?
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

ferrarilover wrote: Come on thought police, if I'm not allowed to wish Bartlett wasn't here to annoy us anymore, sure Andy can't say this about a footballing icon?

Addiction is so often the price of genius. Messi smokes crack... probably.

Matt.
So in your view is is acceptable to wish that upon any self-satisfied bigot that annoys others with a monotonous drone? Interesting. :Oops:
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

I love this ground, although for those of us who were at the FAT, they have now moved the away fans from behind the goal, to the side opposite the main stand.

If anyone is heading South up the A3 and want a lift give me a PM. I know a couple of places on the A3 where we can meet and leave cars safely. I have 2 spaces left.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by AlexGulls »

Apparently the view from the away end is terrible (this comes from a Dons fan on another forum)....So get in early to get a good space...
womble
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Roscoe Dsane

Post by womble »

bixieupnorth wrote:I wonder how many we'd have taken of tickets had been unlimited? despite the shameful turnout on Saturday I'd have expected 1000 perhaps to make the trip up to London? what's their average crowd, they could be kicking themselves for not making more space available to us at this important stage of the season.

hoping for an away win but will make my final prediction after tomorrow nights game
Hello, Dons fan here.

Our average attendance this season is 94% of capacity (limited to 4,650 at the moment). We have 2,700 ST holders and the variable in the attendance is generally the number of away fans.

Allocations are either 700 or 400, so you've only lost a few on the full allocation - and it might improve the terrible view from the side. If you're under 6 foot, I would definitely get in early enough to get a decent spot. Also if it's raining - only about 2/3 of the area is under cover...
womble
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Roscoe Dsane

Post by womble »

GulldenBoy wrote:As a Wimbledon resident I can help (a bit anyway!)

If you're driving: I would definitely come up the A3 and take the Malden Junction towards Kingston. This will put you on the Malden Road. Follow that until you get a roundabout with a fountain in the middle and then take the first exit onto Kingston Road. Follow this for for 5 min or so and you will see the ground on your left.

Another option to help with parking is that you can take the exit after, Shannon Corner, park up at Raynes Park station and get the 131 bus towards Kingston which will stop right outside the ground. Note: You may have to wait a while to get a bus back as a lot of Wimbledon fans use the bus.

If you're coming by train then you can go to Norbiton but make sure you print out a map (or use smartphone) as you have to walk through a couple of residential estates to get to the ground and it isn't sign posted. About a 15-20 minute walk.

Alternatively, you can get off at Raynes Park and get the 131 bus straight to the ground.

If you want some good prematch boozers then there isn't much at the ground except the club house and few dodgy pubs up the road. Depending which way you're coming from and how much time you have you can stop off at Wimbledon itself (you can also get the 131 from here) or there are a couple of pubs including a weatherspoons at Raynes Park. I wouldn't recommend going into Kingston as it will be packed and you might struggle to get to the ground.

If you stop off at Wimbledon then I recommend the Prince of Wales which is opposite the station and the bus stops.

If getting the bus, allow 30 min from Wimbledon and 20 min from Raynes Park.
The away pub of choice for most teams this season has been the Prince of Wales in Norbiton (not the one referenced above that's in Wimbledon)- further down Kingston Road from the station. It's a bit erm... rustic, but it's where most go when the two bars at the ground aren't open to away fans. Otherwise there's the infamous Robert Peel and the Duke of Wellington (I think).

Aside from the car park (full by 1.30 usually) there is decent street parking in the side streets to the north of Kingston Road. Just be careful to read the parking restrictions carefully, as tickets are not uncommon...
GulldenBoy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Branston

Post by GulldenBoy »

womble wrote: The away pub of choice for most teams this season has been the Prince of Wales in Norbiton (not the one referenced above that's in Wimbledon)- further down Kingston Road from the station. It's a bit erm... rustic, but it's where most go when the two bars at the ground aren't open to away fans. Otherwise there's the infamous Robert Peel and the Duke of Wellington (I think).

Aside from the car park (full by 1.30 usually) there is decent street parking in the side streets to the north of Kingston Road. Just be careful to read the parking restrictions carefully, as tickets are not uncommon...
Are the bars at the ground likely to be closed to away fans? Last few times i've been (as a home and away fan) i've not had a problem?
GulldenBoy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GulldenBoy »

Just had confirmation from Wimbledon: All the bars at the ground are for home fans only this Saturday so as Womble said the best option if you want a pre match pint is the pub in Norbiton.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by AlexGulls »

Shame that. Remember heading in to the bar at the ground before the FA Trophy game against them and there was no sign of trouble and was a really good day between two good sets of fans.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

AlexGulls wrote:Shame that. Remember heading in to the bar at the ground before the FA Trophy game against them and there was no sign of trouble and was a really good day between two good sets of fans.
Yes, likewise - very friendly and well-appointed bar indeed. And as a then-smoker, I was delighted that the stewards allowed us out for a quick rasper at HT. All in all, it was a very hospitable place.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
GulldenBoy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GulldenBoy »

From what they told me I think it is down to physical space and health and safety. They only let in away fans these days if they expect a below average attendance.

Really is a pity and getting a pre match pint is going to be a pain now
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Awayday »

I remember the Prince of Wales. For those going up on the A3, when you turn off onto the A2043, you come to another roundabout. Turn left (staying on the A2043) onto Kingston Road. After about a mile there is a garden centre on your right, I think it is a Homebase now, and the The Prince of Wales is next to it on the corner. The ground is a little further on up the road on the left.

I would suggest parking at the ground and then walking the 5 minutes up the road if they are not letting away fans in at the club bar.

Also for those who collect football club enamel badges (I collect them for each ground I have been to) Terry Badges has a stall at the ground selling all non league and some premiership team badges. I have loads of badges I need from him back from our BSP days.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by AlexGulls »

Awayday wrote:I remember the Prince of Wales. For those going up on the A3, when you turn off onto the A2043, you come to another roundabout. Turn left (staying on the A2043) onto Kingston Road. After about a mile there is a garden centre on your right, I think it is a Homebase now, and the The Prince of Wales is next to it on the corner. The ground is a little further on up the road on the left.

I would suggest parking at the ground and then walking the 5 minutes up the road if they are not letting away fans in at the club bar.

Also for those who collect football club enamel badges (I collect them for each ground I have been to) Terry Badges has a stall at the ground selling all non league and some premiership team badges. I have loads of badges I need from him back from our BSP days.
Its all about the John Peel Pub on Cambridge Road :whistle:
GulldenBoy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GulldenBoy »

AlexGulls wrote: Its all about the John Peel Pub on Cambridge Road :whistle:
Get your pounds in the pot...
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Awayday »

FFS someone confirm where we are going then, no idea where John Peel Pub is.