Torquay United v Cheltenham Town - 17.5.12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
londongull63
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by londongull63 »

An early goal like everyone says would be nice - but it's not absolutely essentia. we're not three or four down. Right now I'd take a goal 20 minutes from time, get the crowd really behind us and give us a good chance to get a second. Although the crowd will have to be right behind us all through and be patient - not just the first 10 minutes. If the early goal doesn't come it will be easy to groan and moan at every bit of miscontrol or pass that doesn't go just right (the sort of errors that just bring a tiny sigh when we're leading). That and the crowd going quiet will get through to the players and drain their belief while giving Cheltenham confidence. It's a night to just forget any mistake and keep urging them on. We could well be at leas one behind for quite a while.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

ferrarilover wrote:Where's Nick these days?

Matt.
Here.

I'll look to try and get back on these next season, I think. Either on here, or on my (current inactive) blog. Hmm.
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

Post by Northumbergull »

Wow! Crewe winning at Sarfend tonight!

Bruce
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Northumbergull »

Ah, well, Crewe it is, then!

Time to gird our loins!

Roll on tomorrow... :keepie:

Cheers

Bruce
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Northumbergull »

Tonight's the night, we're gonna have a good time! :goal: :clap:

COYY! :scarf:

Cheers

Bruce
gulltastic
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: o'kane

Post by gulltastic »

feelin more positive than ever this morning. We'l do this. Cant wait
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

I'm too tired to feel much about anything right now, but I am hopeful. Got the match set to record on the ol' Sky+ as I shall be treading the boards whilst it's on.

I do hope that Danny Stevens is feeling better and if Taiwo is starting that he shows a bit more energy and determination than Sunday, we know we can win games with him. Saah did well I thought, so more of the same from him please.

Overall, I hope we are rewarded for watching the rubbish that was Sunday with a 3-0 win. Doubtful, but a girl can dream.
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

Really looking forward to the game tonight!

As long as the Torquay we know turns up, I think we've got a great chance of turning things round. Crowd behind us, atmosphere cranked up, and an early goal - Plainmoor will be rocking and we could well do the unthinkable.

But for my money, we've got to go 4-4-2. The second half of the Hereford game showed that Atieno and Jarvis up front can work well, and we scored 2 goals in 20 minutes. I don't think either of them is suited to the lone striker role, as they don't have the presence and control of Rene to get the ball down and bring others into play, but going by Lingy's comments on the website it does seem he'll be going 4-5-1...and who am I to question.

Cheltenham will come here slightly more defensively set up I'd imagine, and try and hit us on the counter - so we'll really need to keep a check on McGlashan and Mohamed properly this time.

Really hope we can do this and get ourselves to Wembley. Plus, we owe Crewe one for knackering our chances of an automatic spot a few weeks ago!

COYY'S!!!
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

what the hell, we're gonna do it tonight!! got a few quid on at 7/2 to qualify, seems a great price to me??
still keeping the faith
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

bixieupnorth wrote:what the hell, we're gonna do it tonight!! got a few quid on at 7/2 to qualify, seems a great price to me??
that sounds like the kiss of death to me bix :na:

naturally i hope you are right, and you will be celebrating our progress with a few extra quid in your pocket :nod:
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

Have to be honest, I am one of many / few who have elected to save some money in the hope we may end up at Wembley. Like most exiles, following Torquay from afar becomes an expensive hobby when they are on a good run.

I hope the lads do it on the pitch for us tonight, and hope those of the Yellow Army do us proud whilst we watch on SKY tonight.

Expectations for me are we won't get enough goals. Last time we scored 3 at home was back in November, and even then we didn't keep a clean sheet. Other than that it was Wimbledon at home in October when we beat them 4-0 and Macclesfield back in September (I know we scored 3 against Rotherham, but 3-3 tonight is as good as a chocolate teapot).

I believe the boys have the passion and drive to turn this around, but not sure they have the energy and pace to get through extra time without conceeding.

Fingers Crossed Though COYY
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

I have got a feeling it's going to be a penalty shoot out! Anyone else feel this?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I honestly don't think we have a cat in hells chance. If we get the first goal then we can make a game of it. Southend were nowhere near turning over a one goal deficit last night just to show how hard it is.
We need some luck thats for sure.
Seventyseven
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Seventyseven »

Time to forget what's happened previously. I'm looking at it as ONE game where we've gone 2-0 down in the first minute. We've proved before that we can pull this back (2nd half at Edgar St).... so why not now!

Cheltenham will come and park the bus - however, I'm sure even we can outfox a bloody parked bus!

It's going to be tight... but we just have to believe!

COYY!
Peter: So did your therapist figure out what the problem was?
Brian: Yeah. He thinks I'm in love.
Peter: Oh my God...you can talk!
Jaxx_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Jaxx_Gull »

Unfortunately won't be at Plainmoor tonight as I'm back In Leeds (uni) and have a very important pharmacology exam at 9am tomorrow!!! :(
I was wondering if anybody knows of any threads that I might be able to watch the game online via? I don't have Sky and I don't particularly want to watch it in the pub as:
1) they won't put the sound on so I will have to watch it muted 2) I don't want temptation to drink the night before an exam!!
If not I will have to listen via Gullsplayer.
Good luck to the Lads for tonight, hopefully put on a good performance (We must be due one!!!) get an early goal, to shake up their nerves a bit.
I'm hoping we can win this one although the stats are very much against us. i wouldn't play a 4-5-1 if I was Lingy......but I'm not & in Lingy we trust.
And if it does happen to go to pens we have Big Bobby O!!!
COYY!!!! BELIEVE........Keeping the Faith
LOVE.LIFE.LIVE.TUFC.