Ellis to Argyle?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

as mark would command a transfer fee he will not be going to argyle as they can not afford to pay the sort of fee that torquay would require, if he goes he will go north
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

It wouldnt be our choice on the fee. It would go to a tribunal and they would have to pay what they decide. Not what we want for him.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

If he wanted to stay he would have signed before getting married(security)...as Torquay have heard nothing from him, hes gone. Do we really care...no. We only want people that want to play for us, no player is bigger than the club, its not as if he is premiership player, he is a league 2 player and its choice but as noone as put in a bid could make him fall flat on his arse.
Lucy
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Not right at all Lucy.

Matt
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

lucy6lucy wrote:If he wanted to stay he would have signed before getting married(security)...as Torquay have heard nothing from him, hes gone. Do we really care...no. We only want people that want to play for us, no player is bigger than the club, its not as if he is premiership player, he is a league 2 player and its choice but as noone as put in a bid could make him fall flat on his arse.
A little bit harsh! Hope he signs but let's not make him a villian for not doing so as yet.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Martin Ling did say, he did not expect an answer from mark Ellis untill after he had gone away and got married, no idea when Mark went away, or when he is due back, if he is not back then no answer will have been given yet. Surely, as that is what Lingy was expecting.
Formerly known as forevertufc
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

I believe Mark is now back from his honeymoon and if my maths are correct then the 28 days (http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 35,00.html) are up on Tuesday.

I would love him to stay but I think it's more than likely he will leave now. The offer put to him by the club has been there since January and it hasn't changed since then.

Personally I don't think he'll end up at Argyle as I think one of the reasons he hasn't committed to us is due to location, with his new bride being a northern lass.

I know Notts County have been mentioned, but I just have a sneaky feeling that Northampton may come back in for him as I know that Boothroyd was rumoured to have been interested in both Mark and Robbo after we shut his team out at Plainmoor in January and they are known to be on the lookout for a couple of centre halves.

I would say it's looking more and more likely that we could now lose our three main saleable assets in that Eunan, Bobby and Mark could all leave within the next couple of weeks. Clearly that would be a big blow to the club but hopefully transfer fees totalling in excess of £500k (minimum) should soften it a bit and would certainly give Lingy some room to manoeuvre in terms of finding quality replacements.

If we could bring in the likes of Poke, MacDonald (although Marcel Seip would be my personal preference!) and Easton for nothing and then splash out on Bodin, I don't think we would be too weakened and we would still have plenty of money in the bank to strengthen other areas of the squad if needed. Mind you getting Bodin won't be easy as Crewe have already stated they would like to sign him and "Internet rumours" also suggest that Doncaster Rovers may also be in for him, which given the Welsh connection (Dean Saunders) does seem to me at least to be a credible suggestion.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

I reckon we could be in for an interesting couple of weeks as surely it's decision time (finally) for Mark this week and presumably we should know whether Eunan and Bobby move on fairly soon too.

Like I said in my previous post, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we lost all three, although to my way of thinking EOK's move is possibly the least likely to happen.

If Mark can find a decent club up north, ideally at this level or the one above, which is probably his level then I think he will move on. Someone like one of the promoted clubs might suit him and given that Crewe have just released their centre half (Artell) and that they have more than a few quid in the bank, I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up there. It will be interesting to see what kind of fee we get for him, but given that we got £60k for Robbo who is, in my opinion, a player of similar ability, I would reckon we might expect somewhere between £60k - £80k if he does indeed move on.

All speculation of course, but I reckon that a lot is going to happen over the next couple of weeks and I guess we'll find out soon enough. If the figures being bandied about are correct, and my valuation of Ellis is right, we should have somewhere in the region of £550k coming into the football club and even if only half of that is handed over to Lingy @£275k could certainly make a big difference to our recruitment plans this summer.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

ferrarilover wrote:Not right at all Lucy.

Matt
It would seem I was right
Lucy
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Not even close to right. Just because you got the outcome correct, doesn't mean your reasoning was even close to the mark (which is very much wasn't).

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

ferrarilover wrote:Not even close to right. Just because you got the outcome correct, doesn't mean your reasoning was even close to the mark (which is very much wasn't).

Matt.
Do share the truth an enlighten us Matt!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I'm going to make a prediction myself, Matt is going to make up some ridiculous concept to make it seem like he wins. I suggest we all ignore it as it'll be a load of tosh, well done Lucy!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Fotoball's a weird industry in that it is completely unlike any other type of job. What Ellis has done would be regarded as sensible if you worked for a bank for example. You worked for Halifax on £2k a month, your temporary contract expired in June, there is an offer from Halifax to you to keep you on but Lloyds are offering the same position on £3k a month, it would be a no brainer to just move on. With football there is a sense of loyalty (mainly with supporters) and a sense of betrayal if and when a player leaves your club. Despite the cold facts that it makes sense to move, and 99.9% of the players won't have any actual feeling for your club. It's their place of employment much the same with you towards Halifax, Lloyds, Sainsbury's or wherever.

Ellis has done the exact same scenario as highlighted above, he's kept his options open to see what is out there for him if he chooses to move on. If not then there is an offer on the table from Torquay where he knows what his job conditions will be. Regular starts, League 2 football but not a great salary relatively speaking. But because this is football he's 'mucking us about'.

I don't blame him for doing what he's doing, things will become clearer this week and ultimately the power is with the players rather than the clubs these days. If he goes he'll be replaced, if he stays then that's one player we don't have to replace. Life goes on, football goes on and players always come and go.
nicktufc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Euuuuuuuunan

Post by nicktufc »

How many of these £3k a month jobs are going at Lloyds?
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

It was a fictional scenario :na: