Bobby to Peterborough?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Gullscorer wrote:Now, should we go for Poke..? :|
Previously stated he is settled in London and having been a 'premiership player' for a few weeks will no doubt demand a decent wage so with that in mind, he wont be re-re-re joining Torquay.
Lucy
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

He wasn't a Premiership player, though. At Brighton isn't he?
sam_
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Angus MacDonald

Post by sam_ »

yes but with a big budget from Bobby going, plus if Eunan does opt to join Cr*wley then we will have enough for Poke.
We'll be back...
sam_
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Angus MacDonald

Post by sam_ »

NickGull wrote:He wasn't a Premiership player, though. At Brighton isn't he?
Yes, but i believe he has recently been relesed
We'll be back...
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Shame that Bobby has gone - definitely the best keeper I'd seen play for us. It got to the point where you expected him to save most things - he made even the most difficult saves look routine. But you can't say he hasn't earnt it. To an extent he took a gamble on us to revive his career in England, and both of us have reaped the benefits. In todays economy £300k is a good slice of wedge, should make a nice difference to the coffers.

As to who we will bring in - someone on here has already mentioned Glenn Morris which is a great shout. Given his break as first choice at Orient under Ling, played for Southend last season. Over 200 first team appearances, 28 years old so a "good age". If we can convince him to move to the sunny South West, he would make a solid and cost-effective replacement. Not as good as Bobby, but experienced and good enough.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Sad to see him go as he's been brilliant in his short time here. However, he was too good to stay in this League for long and I wish him all the best at Peterborough.
exetergull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Super Kevin Hill

Post by exetergull »

What would everyone think of David James? Lives very locally, Teignmouth I beleive, and not heard that he has retired since leaving Bristol City......could be like big Nev and give us a season, should be up to the pace of League 2 just by the reading of the game from playing at the very top level?
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

Shame to see a player of real quality like Bobby go. Thought we might get another season from him, but you can't begrudge him a move, and he goes with everyone's best wishes. At least he's chosen a club where he'll get plenty of game time, and it represents a brilliant piece of business from our point of view.

Whoever his replacement is will have huge boots to fill...as we've seen this season, a squad challenging for promotion needs a quality keeper, so hopefully Lingy will pull another rabbit out of the hat on that front.

As much as I'd love it to be Poke, I just can't see it happening. He settled well into the area during his previous spells if I recall correctly, but I think he rightly sees his level at either a lower-end Championship side or, more likely I'd imagine, a team in League 1. Even if Ling could tempt him into coming back - would our wage structure be able to sufficiently accommodate what would surely be one of the top earners, even with a few nice transfer fees in the kitty? He would be worth pushing the boat out for, but not breaking the bank. Ling also comes across as very much his own man, and I'm sure he has a few of his own targets in mind.

But still, we can dream!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

No more Austrians at Torquay! :'( I guess i must be the only one left now? :~D

Maybe we could sign Christian Gratzei from Sturm Graz now? :nod: After all, the Austrian bundesliga is probably on a par with League 2 in terms of quality so he should feel at home! :lol:

On a serious note i am gutted to see Bobby leave as he is the best keeper i have seen at Torquay since i've been a fan. He is immense and it was inevitable that he would move on sooner rather than later and i just hope he gets a decent crack of the whip at Posh. Pretty annoyed about the £300k fee being banded about even though he cost us nowt. He is worth more, he is special. At the end of the day though it is profit and good business so good all round i suppose.

Our new keeper has some seriously big and seriously talented boots to fill.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Gutted Bobby has gone but hopefully a good piece of business for the club and to be honest, he was far too good for us, so he does deserve this move.

I just fear with O'Kane and Ellis possibly to follow that we may be in for a difficult season next year.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Nice business for us, and I don't begrudge Bobby his chance, but it's bloody frustrating. How are we going to get anywhere if we keep losing our best players.? Are we destined to remain on the fringes? Is L2 the best we can ever hope for? After all, we start to build a side capable of promotion, and sustaining, a place in a higher division and 'wham bang thank you mam" off go our most capable players. It's all very well saying we can bring in good replacements, but if that does happen then the same result will befall us come the end of the season.
It's a vicious circle. Perhaps we should be holding players to their contracts, and if they sign for us for 3 years. Then they should stay with us for 3 years.

Rant, end of.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

hector wrote:Gutted Bobby has gone but hopefully a good piece of business for the club and to be honest, he was far too good for us, so he does deserve this move.

I just fear with O'Kane and Ellis possibly to follow that we may be in for a difficult season next year.
Murmors like this need to be nipped in the bud now. The spine of our side under Buckle was torn apart, and it's not as if we got much money for them, as most players left for free or returned to their parent club or moved sideways for a small fee. If the worst happens, and the players you refer to leave, then we are at least in a much better position than this time last year as Ling will undoubtedly be given a few quid to spend. A luxury he was not afforded in his first season here, and I think you'd agree the season turned out alright!

In Ling we trust!
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

the only difference being in my eyes we are potentially losing 3 players that could and should be playing in higher leagues.

All of the players we lost to Buckle although important to us they were only run of the mill L2 players. Far easier to replace than the likes of Bobby and Eunan. Less so Ellis.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

exetergull wrote:What would everyone think of David James? Lives very locally, Teignmouth I beleive, and not heard that he has retired since leaving Bristol City......could be like big Nev and give us a season, should be up to the pace of League 2 just by the reading of the game from playing at the very top level?
Chudleigh
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Last summer, with no budget, Ling found Bobby, Saah and Howe and had to scrimp on players like McPhee.

I see no reason why, armed with a bit of cash (for wages, doubt he'll feel the need to spend money on fees) he cant equal or better that.

Saah, Nico, Oastler, Mansell, Lathrope, Craig (?) Stevens, Jarvis, Howe is the basis of a good side. Even if he pnly brings in average L2 replacements, we'll be no where near relegation with that side.