The proliferation of chanting in Cricket.

General chat about anything else goes here.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

The proliferation of chanting in Cricket.

Post by ferrarilover »

Housekeeping first - Dave/Louis, if this would be better amalgamated with the "The Ashes" thread, go right ahead. I created a new thread solely to keep both threads 'on message'.

So,

It seems to me that test match Cricket used to be the game for the better half of society. Somewhere for elder statesmen to go, drink tea or real ale, do The Times crossword over a period of 5 or 6 hours and have an afternoon nap, all with a backdrop of gentlemen in white playing a game with an age old ethical code rather than any real rulebook. However, just recently (say, the last 10 years, maybe slightly fewer) it seems that the traditional 'football chants' have pervaded into the very framework of the spectatorship of your average Cricket match.

Just yesterday, when one of the less able Aussies (I know, doesn't narrow it down much) was dismissed having failed to trouble the scorers, loudly and immediately came the cries of "Cheerio, Cheerio, Cheerio!" Now, while this is enormously good fun at a football match attended by hooligans and ruffians (and Westbay Jane), it hardly seems appropriate at a game of Cricket.

Now, I'm no prude, I know that for time immemorial, Cricketists have 'sledged' one another on the field of play and that, at times, this sledging has involved some colourful language (that's colorful for the benefit of Wisconsin Gull). It seems to me that this was all part of the game, but that it was for the players to lower the tone while only they could hear, it is another matter entirely for those in attendance to behave in such a way.

Am I right, or am I, as I strongly suspect, turning, with alarming alacrity, into Victor Meldrew's grumpier (but ruggedly handsome) cousin?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

If people started shouting 'In the hole' in snooker as they do in golf I would have an issue with it, but cricket chanting? Nope, no problem for me. So in answer to your question, you're being grumpy.
:)
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Totally and utterly appropriate when wupping the Aussie backside. It is a question of divine retribution.

They must be made to suffer in proportion to our own suffering. And that is a lot of suffering!
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

ferrarilover wrote:Housekeeping first - Dave/Louis, if this would be better amalgamated with the "The Ashes" thread, go right ahead. I created a new thread solely to keep both threads 'on message'.

So,

It seems to me that test match Cricket used to be the game for the better half of society. Somewhere for elder statesmen to go, drink tea or real ale, do The Times crossword over a period of 5 or 6 hours and have an afternoon nap, all with a backdrop of gentlemen in white playing a game with an age old ethical code rather than any real rulebook. However, just recently (say, the last 10 years, maybe slightly fewer) it seems that the traditional 'football chants' have pervaded into the very framework of the spectatorship of your average Cricket match.

Just yesterday, when one of the less able Aussies (I know, doesn't narrow it down much) was dismissed having failed to trouble the scorers, loudly and immediately came the cries of "Cheerio, Cheerio, Cheerio!" Now, while this is enormously good fun at a football match attended by hooligans and ruffians (and Westbay Jane), it hardly seems appropriate at a game of Cricket.

Now, I'm no prude, I know that for time immemorial, Cricketists have 'sledged' one another on the field of play and that, at times, this sledging has involved some colourful language (that's colorful for the benefit of Wisconsin Gull). It seems to me that this was all part of the game, but that it was for the players to lower the tone while only they could hear, it is another matter entirely for those in attendance to behave in such a way.

Am I right, or am I, as I strongly suspect, turning, with alarming alacrity, into Victor Meldrew's grumpier (but ruggedly handsome) cousin?

Matt.

shut up matt and eat some more red smarties. ;-) :lol: :lol:

please.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468