CONFIRMED: Mark Ellis to Crewe ....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

I know this is going waaay off topic but Sharpe also single handidly destroyed a then very good Arsenal team aswell with a hatrick and assists.
Rach
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Rach »

Crewe Alexandra, who also won promotion to League One through the Play-Offs last season, are in for Ellis, 21.

But Ling stressed: "A club has made an offer, which doesn't come near to our valuation, so there is a long way to go on that one, even if Mark leaves at all."

http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/Torqu ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

forevertufc wrote:Sorry Yellow, as much as I count you as a friend, I can't agree with your reply.

Messed around !!! Come on Torquay United are running a professional football club/team, this is not local under 13 stuff, where a little lad comes along, he is not very good at football, however turns up to training every week, so gets some pitch time, Mark Ellis is not different to any other pro, he has to prove he is worthy, it's funny how st Martin of Ling, agreed in the first instance with the weasel.

This not about being a detractor, or having an axe to grind over Mark Ellis either, I have no axe to grind with him, and will be delighted if he stays, to me its about keeping it real, I like to the fact Marl Ellis wears his heart on his sleeve out on the pitch, and his blood and guts approach makes him popular with fans.

However I just don't understand how so many can't see that his blood and guts approach, is such a massive. massive big flaw in Mark's game, how many times do we see Mark Ellis have a rush of blood, and go charging 30 yrds up the field , if a centre back takes that opition, then its so, so "important " he wins the header, how many times do we see mark Ellis do that and fail to win the header, leaving a gap wider than the mersey tunnel in behind us, watch back Cheltenham's second goal in the play-off semi..a prime example, of many.

How many times do we see him swipe at a clearence, watch back the video of Port Vale's goal at Plainmoor another example of many, compare that to the calm approach of Brian Saah who often tidies things up at the back, and saved our bacon countless times , yet struggle to gain the same praise.

Please don't get me wrong , I am in no way trying to hang Mark Ellis, we all make mistakes in our home and working lives, and the very best footballers are not immune to the odd cock up.

All I am saying is, thier is no doubt Mark Ellis is a good talented footballer, however he is not that good..keep it real.
Forza

My point wasn’t to big Mark Elllis up. He is what he is. It was a reaction to the idea that he was somehow showing a lack of loyalty, or that maybe his heart wasn’t in it.

If there is one thing that you cannot accuse Ellis of it is lack of heart. His detractors might point to lack of composure or technique, but not heart.

I personally wouldn’t want to lose any of the three (Bobby, Eunan or Ellis) for we are ripping the spine out of a successful team.

Every winning club has that ‘spine of class’ from goalie, through centre back, midfielder and attacker. If pushed I would say that the goalie position is marginally the most important. I challenge anyone to name me a team that has won a championship or even the Premier shite without a first class keeper. We had one. Now we don’t.

And yes I do believe that you cannot expect him to show loyalty in the sense that it was being bandied about. Loyalty cuts both ways and rarely has much place in employment contracts...
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

CP Gull wrote: Yes, I saw that too and like you was surprised at the figure quoted for Wayne Thomas, it's a little higher than I thought it was.

Mind you, I'm not convinced the figures are entirely accurate as it has David Graham being sold to Wigan for £315k whereas surely it was only £215k? If I'm right it makes Bobby O's transfer the THIRD largest in our history and not the FOURTH.

Only if Bobby plays enough games next season to bring up the last third of the transfer fee. I'm told we're only getting £200k up front and I expect Lingy will be entitled to around 5% of that.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

yellow wrote: I challenge anyone to name me a team that has won a championship or even the Premier sh*t without a first class keeper. We had one. Now we don’t.
Tim Flowers

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Scott Brehaut wrote: Tim Flowers.

Tim Flowers isn't a team you daft Frenchman.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Southampton Gull wrote:
Tim Flowers isn't a team you daft Frenchman.
Nice - changing my quote like that :Oops:

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Nice try Scotty (ignoring the pedanticism of SG).

Probably the weakest when set alongside Shilton, Clemence, Seaman, Schmeichel Cech etc. but 11 England caps would suggest he was a quality keeper none the less.

Unless citing an England player as a sign of quality is an oxymoron?

Loved the quote in the DT today on the gulf in class at Euro 2012 viz:

“Spain managed 842 passes against Ireland. England could only match that if they sent Andy Carroll onto Mastermind.”
:)
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
kbgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ashley Yeoman

Post by kbgull »

Could be a done deal soon!!

http://www.crewe.vitalfootball.co.uk/ar ... p?a=285548" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

kbgull wrote:Could be a done deal soon!!

http://www.crewe.vitalfootball.co.uk/ar ... p?a=285548" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That does not say it's Ellis. It could be anyone.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

usagullmichigan wrote: That does not say it's Ellis. It could be anyone.
Likelihood it is Ellis though. Personal terms may be agreed but wonder if the fee is? Results of the tribunal would be interesting if not!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Could be Bodin, other thread states sky sports have Bodin linked to Crewe
Lucy
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

lucy Bodin is not a centre half! Have another read of Crewe statement. Surely it is Mark Ellis.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

portugull wrote:lucy Bodin is not a centre half! Have another read of Crewe statement. Surely it is Mark Ellis.
Suprised that you believe what you read. Crewe have money, hmm should we buy Ellis or Bodin.......Sorry Ellis...and then he can crawl back to Mr Ling
Lucy
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Well it looks like he's all but gone and for the first time he has (finally) said that he wants to move on - the opportunity to test himself at a higher level being the reason why.

The WMN is now saying that Crewe have upped their bid to a rumoured £80k and I imagine that must be getting very close to what we would accept, rather than what we might have said we wanted!

Best of luck Mark, am pleased for you that you have got the move that you wanted and pleased also that Martin Ling gave you the opportunity last season to finally establish yourself as first choice centre half at TUFC. It's just a shame that your stated desire to play at a higher level couldn't have been achieved in a Gulls shirt.

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/story-1645 ... tory.html?