1st day back

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

1st day back

Post by lucy6lucy »

It literally seems light years ago since our playoff defeat. But with the 1st team back at training Thursday, you know the new season is around the corner. This season is full of hope and belief, just hope we face the cod army with no injuries. :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Though friendlies often mean nothing come the new season, do you think we may play a different formation than last season, as we were caught out in the latter half of the season as we where so predictable, we have more depth so have the potential to change formation in matches.
Lucy
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I'm happy with the formation that we use, but I would like to see a bit more attacking intent and a bit more control of midfield. With 3 in the middle we really should have more control and ball winning higher up the pitch, yet we seem to let teams come on to us more often than not.

Any footballer will tell you its less tiring when you have the ball than when the opposition do, so let's get our opponents chasing the ball for a while.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Pedantry Corner.

Light years is a measurement of distance, not time.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well I hope they had plenty of boats at the ready, hasn't stopped raining all day.. :'(
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Pedantry Corner.

A light year is indeed the distance light travels in one year. However, in a rhetorical or even a metaphorical sense, 'light years ago' could be taken to mean 'years ago' as well as 'a long way away'. Used in the context of the post, therefore, the expression is acceptable, even poetical..! :-D
Last edited by Gullscorer on 12 Jul 2012, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

He's a Yank these days, as if they know how to use our language ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Of course, if we were talking about exceeding the speed of light, we could be entering the realm of metaphysics, although, to my knowledge (and I stand to be corrected) nobody in League Two has ever kicked a football that hard..!! =D
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Gullscorer wrote:Pedantry Corner.

A light year is indeed the distance light travels in one year. However, in a rhetorical or even a metaphorical sense, 'light years ago' could be taken to mean 'years ago' as well as 'a long way away'. Used in the context of the post, therefore, the expression is acceptable, even poetical..! :-D
Oh, right then. If "a rhetorical or even a metaphorical sense" means "let's just make no sense at all", I apologise for my post of 3 yards ago. :)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

happytorq wrote:
I apologise for my post of 3 yards ago. :)

Kick the thread on a couple more posts and go The Whole Nine Yards. :)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I'm lost :-/
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
exetergull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Super Kevin Hill

Post by exetergull »

Does anyone know of any trialist involved today, if there were any?
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

A Trialist ? From Montrose? 8/
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

exetergull wrote:Does anyone know of any trialist involved today, if there were any?
Over the past few years the club have put up pictures on the OS of the first day back at training, and this normally reveals any trialists we have. Dont seem to be any pictures up as of yet though so if/when pictures are put up we can see, or else we'll have to wait until the preseason fixtures next week!
The gulls are going up
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

gullno4 wrote: Over the past few years the club have put up pictures on the OS of the first day back at training, and this normally reveals any trialists we have. Dont seem to be any pictures up as of yet though so if/when pictures are put up we can see, or else we'll have to wait until the preseason fixtures next week!
Don't know about trialists ,but did you notice what it said about back in pre season training. A gentle start and "when the Balls Come out". all I can visualise now is Manse having Nico back at his pad doing the house work naked again. Now if thats got into pre season training they have probably held up publication of photgraphs untill the censor takes a peek just in case some "Other" Pics have slipped in by mistake.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 18,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pics are up, doesn't look like there are any triallists this time around. If anything, too few players. I only count 17 on the larger group picture.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"