Aaron downes signs!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
dazgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jean-Pierre Simb

Post by dazgull »

Im happy with this signing, seems a very good player. Obviously he has had his injuries and at some stage he may miss a few games but is that a problem?? No we have cover now in our squad to come in. Downes will play as long as he is fit, Ling will know from last year how with everyone playing each game they ran out of steam so wont do it with him.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I'm not sure we're giving the club enough credit here.

If it were me in change of the signing, I'd have had a report from the Chesterfield physio, Rovers physio, his medical records, a report from the consultant, the surgeon, scouts, a full consultation between DD, our club doctor and an expert at a local hospital. Full fitness testing, an interview with the player and a clause in his contact which renders it null and void should any non-disclosure lead to our incurring a loss.

If I can think of it, so can the club. We all know DD is an excellent physio and will have done a thorough investigation before allowing Dinger anywhere near him. Of all clubs, we (and those like us) are least able to take a gamble on a signing, so I imagine that we have more stringent checks in place than the majority of others. Gone are the days of Colin Lee and Mo Camara.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
miagsygas
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by miagsygas »

If you guys have 2/3 reliable centre halves, this is a cracking signing for you. If your relying on Downes, then this signing is a mistake, unfortunately. In my opinion, fully fit, one of the better centre halves i have seen at this level. Really attacks the ball, both in the air and on the ground, and good positionally aswell as a bit of a leader. There is a reason, however, that despite us needing 2 centre halves, that McGhee didn't approach him. I'd put money on him not lasting the season (which is unfortunate, as he is a top, top pro) and we already have Adam Virgo who can't train full time in a Ledley King-esque manner. Also you have to wonder how the previous serious injuries have affected him, as aforementioned he came back after his most recent one and looked a shade of his former self.

Wish him and you guys all the success, and if he can keep healthy you've got a top signing. Unfortunately though, that's a big if. That being said i did hear you had a top physio so if anyone can succeed in keeping him on the pitch it would be you.
blueboy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by blueboy »

miagsygas wrote:If you guys have 2/3 reliable centre halves, this is a cracking signing for you. If your relying on Downes, then this signing is a mistake, unfortunately. In my opinion, fully fit, one of the better centre halves i have seen at this level. Really attacks the ball, both in the air and on the ground, and good positionally aswell as a bit of a leader. There is a reason, however, that despite us needing 2 centre halves, that McGhee didn't approach him. I'd put money on him not lasting the season (which is unfortunate, as he is a top, top pro) and we already have Adam Virgo who can't train full time in a Ledley King-esque manner. Also you have to wonder how the previous serious injuries have affected him, as aforementioned he came back after his most recent one and looked a shade of his former self.

Wish him and you guys all the success, and if he can keep healthy you've got a top signing. Unfortunately though, that's a big if. That being said i did hear you had a top physio so if anyone can succeed in keeping him on the pitch it would be you.
I'd much rather an injury prone Downes than Virgo though!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Seen loads of him at Chesterfield over the years and IF he stays injury free we have ourselves a real solid, quality signing. Very pleased with this.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
miagsygas
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by miagsygas »

blueboy wrote: I'd much rather an injury prone Downes than Virgo though!
Virgo of 10 odd games last season under Buckles hoof instructions or Virgo under the manager who got him a £1.5 million move to Celtic? McGhee has said he knows what buttons to push with Virgo and how he can get him to stop underachieving. I think he'll surprise a few this season. But anyways, that's rovers talk for another forum.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

TORQUAYfans.com guys, not bloody Roversaresh*t.net.

Matt.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

ferrarilover wrote:TORQUAYfans.com guys, not bloody Roversaresh*t.net.

Matt.
Matt - they have been kind enough to give some decent insight on Mr Downes and the ones left posting seem decent fellas and the t0$$spots are long gone. They are very welcome as far as I am concerned.

Play nice!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

For those who care - Aaron Downes twitter is - @downesy8

Seems very excited about joining us and some good banter already from Nico!

Also nice to see Craig Stanley saying good things about the club and its fans.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Just a genteel reminder that they have their own playground if they want to discuss the relative merits of one mid-table cannon fodder blue and white tosser over another :~D

Matt.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Dont start Ferrari. Its nice that "other" supporters come on here and pass on their wisdom re. players. Be nice. :whip:

I'm happy with this. I trust Martin to make the right decisions. :clap:

Bye the bye. Chris Evans breakfast show, on Radio 2, this morning was entitled "My Dingaling". Made me laff...but then it would. :lol:
Last edited by diamondgirl on 24 Jul 2012, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
miagsygas
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by miagsygas »

Richinns wrote:For those who care - Aaron Downes twitter is - @downesy8

Seems very excited about joining us and some good banter already from Nico!

Also nice to see Craig Stanley saying good things about the club and its fans.
Downes is a top, top bloke, no doubt about that, a favourite with the team and fans and a player who will always give it his all.

Anyways, only came on to give my views on Downes, it'll seem we've outstayed our welcome. Best of luck for the rest of the season and hope you go one step further than you did last season. Oonly second ofcourse ;-)
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by diamondgirl »

Thanks for the input Miagsygas. Best of luck to you this season. Might see you go up.....in 2nd place. ;-)
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Before you go, nip over to the Banter Board and fill us in on the latest Carayol development, if you'd be so kind? Last I heard, he was going to 'Boro for some utterly astronomical and completely unjustifiable fee.

Matt.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by diamondgirl »

Too late Matt. I think you have upset him.