Torquay United v Cheltenham Town - 21/8/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Hubert Parry
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Hubert Parry »

Sorry Matt, I was unclear. I meant that those who pick up points now might not necessarily maintain that for the rest of the season. I might be wrong but you guys had a slow start (relatively) and picked up in the middle months last year. Our midfield is arguably the best in the league and players like Pack and Jombati (right-back) could play in a higher league or two. However, keep the likes of Pack and McGlashan quiet and a positive result is there for the taking. From our POV, I worry how Billy Jones will compete against Bodin and Mansell always concerns me. In fact, if I could choose any player in the division to have in our team now, it would be Mansell. Good game in prospect.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I see Hubert, I understand now. My point about lost points is one I have about lots of things and wasn't specifically directed at you. Girls, for example, who "diet" all week, then spend Friday and Saturday night throwing Bacardi Breezers and vodka down their necks, as if liquid calories don't count. Or 'non-smokers' only smoking when they drink, gets right on my tits!

Interesting, as I read that last bit, where you mention Bodin and Manse, that you should say you'd have Manse rather than Billy (or anyone). I've always used Mansell as a perfect example of a player who we would be devastated to lose, but who will never, ever realistically be subject to a bid from anyone he was likely to actually go to (a higher division club, for example). He doesn't do the sort of work which will attract a move to a decent L1 side, but we would be utterly crestfallen were he to leave. It's an odd situation which is a little hard to describe. I'm sure all teams have players like that.
As for dealing with Bodin, albeit with no knowledge of your Billy Jones, I'd suggest that you won't. Billy (our Billy) is far too good for this division really, especially with the ball at his feet. If he had been with anyone but the mad Italian fascist last year, he would be playing in L1 with his old club now, quite happily. Don't get me wrong, I'm not touting him as the next C. Ronaldo, but he is very good when in possession. The best you can hope for with Bill is that TUFC shoot themselves in the foot and play badly and Billy suffers as a consequence. I'm absolutely delighted that he signed in the summer, it almost makes up for losing Eunan.

Pack is very good, but the one of yours that I like is McGlashan. Despite being a nasty, diving, horrible bastard, he is a hell of a player and that goal he scored on Saturday just underlines his talent. So, in the interests of science, I pose a question to all, would you trade the tenacity and doggedness and leadership of Manse for the pace, power and threat of McGlashan, if a straight swap was on the table?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Hubert Parry
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Hubert Parry »

Straight swap? Nope! Mansell is precisely the type of player that our current team is missing. Our midfield 'three' as it were is composed of a deep-lying tempo-dictating playmaker (Pack), a Jamie Ward-type 'in the hole' creative attacking midfielder (Deering), and a hard-working bruiser type (Penn). I think we need a box-to-box player, probably to replace Penn and I regard Mansell as being the best in the division (he is also a leader - not to be understated). Whether he has the technical ability to manage in League One is another matter, but there are some players that improve the higher the level, and others who hit the ceiling. However, I think Penn does a great job and McGlashan can be a match winner on his day.

Re: Bodin, he is an interesting case as I have read the most varied of reviews about him and have seen him play a couple of times (including the Stoke PSF where he looked a real menace). Like all League Two wingers, including McGlashan, he can go missing. There is a Swindon fan who posts on our forum quite frequently who cannot understand why I pinpoint Bodin as a threat as he is 'Nowhere near good enough to play in Lge 2'. I wholly disagree with that and think he has a lot of potential. I do wonder whether we shall line Jombati up against him, as simply no-one gets past Jombati - who is by some distance the most talented right back we have had, certainly since Michael Duff, and will play in the Championship one day and maybe before the season is out.
blueboy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by blueboy »

Hubert Parry wrote:Straight swap? Nope! Mansell is precisely the type of player that our current team is missing. Our midfield 'three' as it were is composed of a deep-lying tempo-dictating playmaker (Pack), a Jamie Ward-type 'in the hole' creative attacking midfielder (Deering), and a hard-working bruiser type (Penn). I think we need a box-to-box player, probably to replace Penn and I regard Mansell as being the best in the division (he is also a leader - not to be understated). Whether he has the technical ability to manage in League One is another matter, but there are some players that improve the higher the level, and others who hit the ceiling. However, I think Penn does a great job and McGlashan can be a match winner on his day.

Re: Bodin, he is an interesting case as I have read the most varied of reviews about him and have seen him play a couple of times (including the Stoke PSF where he looked a real menace). Like all League Two wingers, including McGlashan, he can go missing. There is a Swindon fan who posts on our forum quite frequently who cannot understand why I pinpoint Bodin as a threat as he is 'Nowhere near good enough to play in Lge 2'. I wholly disagree with that and think he has a lot of potential. I do wonder whether we shall line Jombati up against him, as simply no-one gets past Jombati - who is by some distance the most talented right back we have had, certainly since Michael Duff, and will play in the Championship one day and maybe before the season is out.
Out of interest, how did Zeb play Sat? Is he playing as a central striker for you?
Hubert Parry
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Hubert Parry »

Zeb showed what he could do but he had to play as an emergency left winger as Kaid Mohamed was ruled him. Expect the same tomorrow. He will normally play up front which he has publicly stated as being his preference.
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

GazTheGull wrote: Don't worry, if we wanted an optimistic post, we would wait for Brucie :lol:

Doubt I'll make it to this game cos of Dad working, and difficult travelling from North Devon and back up to North Devon after a Torquay match (using public transport), so will be looking ahead to Rochdale on Saturday when he isn't working.
I can pick you up and drop you off at Newton Abbot Railway station as there are trains available, if you really want to go just pm me.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Looking at the line ups Cheltenham have improved their squad whilst ours is considerably weaker. Suggesting that Macklin would strengthen the line up is more pie in the sky from you really as he has constantly failed to deliver anything.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

brucie wrote:Looking at the line ups Cheltenham have improved their squad whilst ours is considerably weaker. Suggesting that Macklin would strengthen the line up is more pie in the sky from you really as he has constantly failed to deliver anything.
I can't wait for him to prove you wrong! Have a feeling he is in a good place and will have a big season for us. Ling has scared the sh1t out of him of the summer and seems to be focused now.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
GazTheGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: ...

Post by GazTheGull »

yellowmonkey wrote: I can pick you up and drop you off at Newton Abbot Railway station as there are trains available, if you really want to go just pm me.
The last train leaving Newton Abbot to Barnstaple is at 2107, so in the middle of the game. But thanks for the offer :-D
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Haha, Hubert, I'd trust the opinion of a Swindon fan just about as far as I'd trust the same from the Swindon manager.

Matt.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

austrianandygull wrote:Yeah likewise Danny although you looked a lot younger than i expected for some reason, how old are you? 18/19 summat around there? Not that it matters though!

Haha, try a few years younger then you've got it! I'm only a young buhy, I'm 16 on the 17th of September :-D

I'm having a little trouble with the first video I took on Saturday, it's not syncing with YouTube and failing to upload. The 2nd one (which isn't as good and at the end of the game) has uploaded and will post that to 'The TorquayFans.com YouTube Channel' thread. I'll try my best to get the other one working, if not I'll try and just get the audio and put some of pictures I took and make it into a video, but if that fails I won't be able to put it on YouTube :-|.

I'll try and get some from tomorrow's game against Cheltenhamshire :-D
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Great stuff Danny(buhy)!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I see our new found friend from Cheltenhamshire, Hurbert has done a similar thread on their forum, some interesting thoughts on us.

http://www.robinsnestforum.co.uk/viewto ... f2d23602a9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Formerly known as forevertufc
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Doubt I'll make it to this game cos of Dad working, and difficult travelling from North Devon and back up to North Devon after a Torquay match (using public transport), so will be looking ahead to Rochdale on Saturday when he isn't working.[/quote]
I can pick you up and drop you off at Newton Abbot Railway station as there are trains available, if you really want to go just pm me.[/quote]

The last train leaving Newton Abbot to Barnstaple is at 2107, so in the middle of the game. But thanks for the offer :-D[/quote]

Hi There. If you want to attend the game, can you get to The Tivvy junction with the M5 and I will pick you up and if your willing to coff the diesel I will run you back up to Barnstaple or wherever it is after. We need all the fans we can get. If nec I will pop in and see my mate in Bideford if he has a bed for the night and will share the cost with you.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

That Super Koz on their board is a right ****.

Matt.