Brilliant entertainment!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CP Gull

Brilliant entertainment!

Post by CP Gull »

For any of us that have been lucky enough to attend the last two home games, I think there is absolutely no denying the quality of entertainment on show. I have a feeling that we are in for a real treat this season as far as entertainment is concerned, whether that leads to success in terms of promotion we will only find out come May but whatever the outcome the "product" on offer and the excellent viewing on offer from the new Bristows Bench means that I truly believe TUFC are great value for money at the moment ... just a shame that there aren't a few more in attendence to enjoy the experience! You really don't know what you're missing! :goal:
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

CP Gull wrote:For any of us that have been lucky enough to attend the last two home games, I think there is absolutely no denying the quality of entertainment on show. I have a feeling that we are in for a real treat this season as far as entertainment is concerned, whether that leads to success in terms of promotion we will only find out come May but whatever the outcome the "product" on offer and the excellent viewing on offer from the new Bristow Bench means that I truly believe TUFC are great value for money at the moment ... just a shame that there aen't a few more in attendance to enjoy the experience! You really don't know what you're missing! :goal:
Just a sign of the times I'm afraid. Not many people have much disposable income these days, least of all in this area.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Couldn't agree more, it could have been any scoreline by the end, and when we were in full flow we could have wracked up a Cricket score.
Some of the football is a joy to watch, drag your mates up. Enjoyed last season immensely and on many occasions didn't think a win by one goal quite reflected our dominance of some games, but with electric pace down either wing now I don't think 1-0 will be a re-occuring scoreline this year.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I quite agree! What does it take to get people along?

Also agree that the Bench is a great place to see the action.

BTW for anyone who is still asking about the dreadful PA system in the Bench, it is due to be replaced in the next two weeks, before the Plymouth game.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
Callumtufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Billy bodin

Post by Callumtufc »

So true think about the shot of line penalty miss woodwork hit by both that would of been 5-5 then there was Thompsons shot (who I think will be some player in few seasons if he keeps playing) that was parried then that scramble thoroughly enjoyed today's game
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

The entertainment is excellent. However, I don't think £20 to sit in the family stand is money well spent. Raising the price for that stand was certainly the easy option, but it was certainly not a fair option. It seems ridiculous that both stands are priced the same.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Parry wrote:The entertainment is excellent. However, I don't think £20 to sit in the family stand is money well spent. Raising the price for that stand was certainly the easy option, but it was certainly not a fair option. It seems ridiculous that both stands are priced the same.
....maybe, but there are cheaper options?

At the end of the day, my 8 year old lad enjoyed his best day ever at Plainmoor today and @ £ 25 for a season ticket for u12s that represents brilliant vfm for me when you consider the cost of other kids attractions! :goal: :clap:
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

CP Gull wrote: ....maybe, but there are cheaper options?

At the end of the day, my 8 year old lad enjoyed his best day ever at Plainmoor today and @ £ 25 for a season ticket for u12s that represents brilliant vfm for me when you consider he cost of other kids attractions!
Yes there are, but would it not be nice to be able to fill the stand with people taking advantage of a cheap family deal of sorts for that stand and that stand only?
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

What makes me sick is the "sky tv " football follower. I cant call call them football supporters,Those who prefer to sit on their arse rather than actaually watch a live game. After all Sky subscription is not exactly cheap so somehow we have to convince these people to come along to plainmoor to watch proper football and excitement galore!! :scarf: :scarf:
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Parry, yes, t'would be delightful, in exactly the same way that it would be delightful if we had a 25,000 all seater stadium which was sold out every week. Unfortunately, down here in God's waiting room, we have a populous with neither the resources nor the inclination to attend. Yeah, cheap deal, brilliant, but if people haven't got £60 for football, they haven't got £48 (a 20% discount, representing the absolute limit that anyone could possibly ask the club to swallow). It's not like we can make it a fiver for a family of four to get in, because we'd go broke inside a week.That said, apathy is what really costs us, not the money. Friday, I paid more to get into Plymouth Aquarium than I did to watch yesterday's match (as a concession season ticket holder, I think I pay something in the order of £9/match). The place was packed, largely with disinterested parents lugging their disinterested kids around somewhere "fun". It's not a lack of money. You pay more to get into the zoo or the aquarium or for a coffee and a muffin at Starbucks than you do to watch Torquay. People don't turn up because they don't care. I've got a mate, from down here, of course, who is an Arsenal "fan", watches all the games on the interweb, refuses to watch Man Utd or Tottenham on MOTD, throws his toys out of the pram if they lose, all the usual armchair fan bollocks. Will he come to Plainmoor? Will he heck as like (one for you there, Andy), because he just doesn't care. He thinks it'll be 22 amateurs hacking aimless balls around a muddy field with jumpers for goalposts. I try to tell him, but he is one of the millions brainwashed (if that isn't a bit "tin foil hat") by the Premier League's relentless campaign to get everyone to believe that only it can provide anything like quality football and that everything else is a waste of time.

I stand with the same little gang of people that I've been standing with for 8 years now (some come and go, mainly to the bathroom in Troj's case). As you would expect with Torquay, one of our number is a hotelier (there are, in fact, a number of hoteliers, but this one is relevant to the story). He often brings along guests from his hotel to matches and they love it, we've even had foreigners standing with us. One chap he brings along is a fella called Chris. Chris is indecently well off, through a combination of exceptionally hard work and a winning smile. He is now a fan to the point where, despite being all over the world on business for the majority of the season (he missed the Rochdale game for the sake of having been called to Japan on very short notice), he is a ST holder. He buys 50:50 tickets in batches of 10, drinks like a pro in the Gull's Nest and recently sponsored the Leeds PSF. All this income from just one 'off the cuff' (pressganging) visit. Sadly, it is nigh on impossible to get new fans through the door in this manner, since the overwhelming majority haven't two dimes to rub together, nor the inclination to try something new and unfamiliar.

Dutch, similar applies. You and I know that proper football is what we go to watch every week. Sadly, trying to convince the Premier League generation that this is the case is akin to persuading the same people that Fosters lager is not a proper drink, they simply won't have it.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Certainly was great entertainment yesterday but look around league 2 and there were loads of poor attendance figures. In fact, i'd say ours was quite healthy in comparison. Sign of the times.
TUST #324
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

ferrarilover wrote:Parry, yes, t'would be delightful, in exactly the same way that it would be delightful if we had a 25,000 all seater stadium which was sold out every week. Unfortunately, down here in God's waiting room, we have a populous with neither the resources nor the inclination to attend. Yeah, cheap deal, brilliant, but if people haven't got £60 for football, they haven't got £48 (a 20% discount, representing the absolute limit that anyone could possibly ask the club to swallow). It's not like we can make it a fiver for a family of four to get in, because we'd go broke inside a week.That said, apathy is what really costs us, not the money. Friday, I paid more to get into Plymouth Aquarium than I did to watch yesterday's match (as a concession season ticket holder, I think I pay something in the order of £9/match). The place was packed, largely with disinterested parents lugging their disinterested kids around somewhere "fun". It's not a lack of money. You pay more to get into the zoo or the aquarium or for a coffee and a muffin at Starbucks than you do to watch Torquay. People don't turn up because they don't care. I've got a mate, from down here, of course, who is an Arsenal "fan", watches all the games on the interweb, refuses to watch Man Utd or Tottenham on MOTD, throws his toys out of the pram if they lose, all the usual armchair fan bollocks. Will he come to Plainmoor? Will he heck as like (one for you there, Andy), because he just doesn't care. He thinks it'll be 22 amateurs hacking aimless balls around a muddy field with jumpers for goalposts. I try to tell him, but he is one of the millions brainwashed (if that isn't a bit "tin foil hat") by the Premier League's relentless campaign to get everyone to believe that only it can provide anything like quality football and that everything else is a waste of time.

I stand with the same little gang of people that I've been standing with for 8 years now (some come and go, mainly to the bathroom in Troj's case). As you would expect with Torquay, one of our number is a hotelier (there are, in fact, a number of hoteliers, but this one is relevant to the story). He often brings along guests from his hotel to matches and they love it, we've even had foreigners standing with us. One chap he brings along is a fella called Chris. Chris is indecently well off, through a combination of exceptionally hard work and a winning smile. He is now a fan to the point where, despite being all over the world on business for the majority of the season (he missed the Rochdale game for the sake of having been called to Japan on very short notice), he is a ST holder. He buys 50:50 tickets in batches of 10, drinks like a pro in the Gull's Nest and recently sponsored the Leeds PSF. All this income from just one 'off the cuff' (pressganging) visit. Sadly, it is nigh on impossible to get new fans through the door in this manner, since the overwhelming majority haven't two dimes to rub together, nor the inclination to try something new and unfamiliar.

Dutch, similar applies. You and I know that proper football is what we go to watch every week. Sadly, trying to convince the Premier League generation that this is the case is akin to persuading the same people that Fosters lager is not a proper drink, they simply won't have it.

Matt.
Abolutely agree with the above post.

I have to watch my tongue these days especially at work, where so called football supporters, of the likes of Manu U, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea etc etc. THEY ARE NOT SUPPORTERS! They are sit at home, yes brain washed lazy football followers. They do have money these people, all the ones I know have sky, its £50 a month plus these days isnt it. You can watch 2,5 Torquay games a month for that. I get totally bored with football on the TV, the useless pundits, has been football players talking absolute garbage, bores me to tears.

What we also do by attending our local club is provide well earned and much needed local employment to a good number of youngsters trying to get on in their chosen career, and Im proud of that.

On a another note, slightly off subject, I read in the WMN that a group of 60 Exeter fans actually pay the wages of one of their players.. I know they are our rivals, but respect to them for doing that
TUST MEMBER
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Yeah, good shout Neal. As an addendum, our Sky bill is something in the order of £80/month.

Matt.
Craney TUFC11
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Craney TUFC11 »

Absolutely agree with Parry, the family stand now needs to be priced accordingly as a family stand.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Don't tell us, we don't care (we do, of course, but we can't do anything about it). Tell the club, but please, dont' just rant on about how things were better in your day and how you used to get change from a groat for a season ticket.

If you can show, with relevant research, that there would be benefit to the club in altering the pricing, then by all means, email them. I'm not being flippant either, the club WILL listen to suggestions, but they have to be suggestions which help, not which are either shots in the dark, guesses or cause more work.

Matt.