Ricey or Pokey

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Simple enough question - Come Fleetwood away, who starts in goal?

Ricey
15%
Pokey
85%

Total votes: 52

ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Sadly, this started as a joke, but following the start we have had to the season, what do we all think now?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I've never seen Ricey in action so perhaps i'm not in a position to choose however, i have seen a bit of Pokey this season and although he is weak at collecting crosses he is a great shot stopper and i've no reason to think Ricey may be any better by what you guys have said. Pokey for me.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I thought Poke was at fault in varying degrees for all 3 of the goals Saturday. First one is yet another miscommunication leaving himself stranded, 2nd one was a poorly set up wall and took an age to get across and the ball didn't even hit the corner of the net and the 3rd was the worst of the lot. Just needed it pushing behind the post for a corner not straight back into the danger area. It was easier to put it behind as well!

Even though I'm slightly biased I'd like to see Ricey get a few games to be honest, annoyed he didn't play v yeovil.

You can't judge him on games FIVE years ago! he played at Cheltneham last year and was fine. The notion some kid that was playing for Chippenham would be in front of him is also a bit mental. The only way to find out is to have a decent look, 4/5 games.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Very strange that as the majority of our fans agree that if it hadnt been for poke yesterday we would have won by a cricket score and yet some of your fans seems to think he was poor. I can think of three or four superb saves without really trying. He was your Man of the Match by some distance.
Sexy_Gulls
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Sexy_Gulls »

There really shouldn't be any discussion. Poke is a lot better than Rice, not flawless but better. Let's face it we were spoiled last season with Olenjik, so perhaps we are too harsh on Poke.
blueboy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by blueboy »

Got to agree with friendlygas, Poke made 4 or 5 quality saves and could have easily been 5 or 6.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

So tomorrow we face the rampant league leaders, who put 5 past us at home last season. If I asked which keeper you would feel ore confident in putting between the sticks I guarantee most of you would pick Poke.

Nothing personal against Ricey but I was never really confident when he was between the sticks.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

blueboy wrote:Got to agree with friendlygas, Poke made 4 or 5 quality saves and could have easily been 5 or 6.
No point making 5 grear saves if you make 4 mistakes (all three goals plus the stupid handling outside the box incident). This isn't to have a go at Poke, I think he's a decent enough keeper, but he certainly wasnt MOTM for us
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Just seen the highlights of our game v Morecambe on iplayer FL show, yes, all 2 minutes of it. Cheers BBC you plastic w*nkers! Anyway, Pokes save against the power shot of Lewis Alessandra was first class and just what he is capable of. If he can just be more confident in other aspects of his all round game then he will be a real asset to the club. His shot stopping abilities are exceptional.

See, i praised someone for doing something good didn't i? :-D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Don't be fooled Andy, it was a routine save for a professional keeper. He saw it the whole way and it wasn't that far into the corner.

Matt.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

To be fair, the Sky highlights of the match were only around 1 minute 30 seconds, and Sky are usually up around the 2 minute 30 mark for our games. I think it's a case of there being nothing worth showing.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

ferrarilover wrote:Don't be fooled Andy, it was a routine save for a professional keeper. He saw it the whole way and it wasn't that far into the corner.

Matt.
Oh Matt you are so far wrong there it is untrue, yes the shot was a good height for a keeper and not right into the corner, but what your not taking into account here is the power of the shot.

That shot was hit true and very hard, Pokey needed an instant reaction, he had to have his techique spot on, and whats know in the goalkeeping trade as "strong hands" to get that shot over the bar, don't make the mistake of thinking that was rountine, it was far from it.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I was just about to post something similar, Dave.

What Matt isn't taking into account is how fast Poke had to move his hands to make that save and also make it a strong hand to deflect the ball away from goal.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

I'd have been well disappointed had that not have been saved, yeah, it was nice enough, but it was hardly worthy of a mention beyond being just about the only shot they had that hit the target all afternoon (although we only had two, so it's not much of a boast). Pokey is a professional goalkeeper, those are the sorts of saves which professional goalkeepers make. Had it been made by, say, our beloved Dave on a match down Clapham Common, then it would have been noteworthy, as it stands, it's nothing to go overboard about.

Matt.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I think the save just highlights his consistency in dealing with shots like that, it is mainly him having difficulties in other areas that leads to him conceding goals, some needless.