Angus MacDonald set to return...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

absolutely pointless, its up front where we are lacking martin, please see what we can all see
still keeping the faith
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

3-5-2. I would be very surprised indeed if Angus isn't here for anything else than warm the bench, we all know Downes is one slip away from his 5th yellow and who knows what match he will be banned for.

For the sake of repeating myself this is the one thing that is grating me "we didn't have enough cover at CB, whats Lingy suposed to do" "maybe he has been brought in as an option to go 3-5-2" LRT could play at CB, LB and would have just ideal for 3-5-2.

The decision to release LRT is looking more like a big mistake by the day he was a buy one player get two free, had we retained him what little money left could have gone on a attacking option.
Formerly known as forevertufc
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I'm pretty sure LRT was released because he wanted to leave and was fed up with the lack of first team opportunities, not because it was a mistake by Ling. Ironically though, LRT probably would have his first team chance this time around.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Not according to this....http://drawley.wordpress.com/2012/05/21 ... -released/ Note LRT says on twitter truely lost for words.

Or according to this..http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18148335 and here Lingy says we need a more defensive left back who can play at Centre back, so then signed Cruise who seems to add less of an option to the team than LRT ever did.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Ahh fair enough, in that case. ML, you numpty!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

LRT was pretty shocking when he first came here, but in fairness to the lad he did improve a bit. Though I think his abilities were definitely more Conference level than football league and therefore he's now playing at a standard that suits him.

LRT was here for almost two and a half years and I'm sure we paid him a decent salary in that time. He made 11 starts in total. The fact that Lingy only started him once (and that was in the Johnstone's Paint trophy game) suggests that he didn't really rate him , and definitely not as a defender. It was money being spent on a full time salary for a player who never quite looked capable of making the level required. My guess is that Lingy would feel happier bringing Angus McDonald into his defence if the need arises than relying on LRT....but of course we all read the situation differently ;-)
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

cambgull wrote:I'm pretty sure LRT was released because he wanted to leave and was fed up with the lack of first team opportunities, not because it was a mistake by Ling. Ironically though, LRT probably would have his first team chance this time around.
i spoke to Lathaniel at the do at the Osborne and he definitely wanted to stay here..he was happy here....

I thought he could of sorted as a makeshift winger/striker as he was great going forward...tended to be used for the last 5/10 minutes..
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Alpine Joe wrote:LRT was pretty shocking when he first came here, but in fairness to the lad he did improve a bit. Though I think his abilities were definitely more Conference level than football league and therefore he's now playing at a standard that suits him.

LRT was here for almost two and a half years and I'm sure we paid him a decent salary in that time. He made 11 starts in total. The fact that Lingy only started him once (and that was in the Johnstone's Paint trophy game) suggests that he didn't really rate him , and definitely not as a defender. It was money being spent on a full time salary for a player who never quite looked capable of making the level required. My guess is that Lingy would feel happier bringing Angus McDonald into his defence if the need arises than relying on LRT....but of course we all read the situation differently ;-)
I do see what your saying, my point was more about the clubs funds rather than LRT, LRT at best was adequate cover however often did play at centre back in reserve games, the mistake for me was replacing LRT with Thomas Cruise.

When Lingy said we needed a more defensive left back who could cover across I fully understood that, a club working of a small budget needs flexibitly in its squad, so why replace one player on a full time salary with another player on a full time salary who also can not play at centre back, so in turn we have had to go back into the transfer market a loan another player in.

And thats all I am trying to say, we just aswell have kept LRT as the club would have saved money as Cruise is probably on a better contract, or actually Lingy should have signed a left back who could have covered across and still have saved money.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Has this deal been confirmed anywhere? Qngus has tweeted that he is on the coach to York, so I guess it has, but havent seen it anywhere (although havent really looked for it)
MH91
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by MH91 »

It is on the official website for a few days now.
http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 02201.aspx
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Thanks, I never look on there apart from when listening to Gullsplayer!
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Rhetorical Question

Do you think that Lingy has brought him in with a view to long term signing to replace Downes or Saah?
Is he expecting a bid for one of them in the Jan. transfer window?

Well I don't know do I ?
You'd better ask him.
Good Idea!! :scarf: :whistle:
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

TCP wrote:All Torquay fans have my deepest sympathy at the moment.

The man is indeed a complete arse Andy.
I chose to highlight this comment because it is from the Cambridge fan TCP (aka Total Complete Pr**k), but I could have selected any one of a number of others from Gulls fans on this thread. The reality is that Martin Ling's judgment in signing Angus MacDonald on loan has proven to be spot on when you consider Saah's red card :red: against Bradford. Martin's judgment is usually far better than many of the commentators on this forum! We have key games coming up against the scum, the slime and AC Northampton, and we need a solid defence in all of these.

Just thought it needed saying.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

:goodpost:
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

So Martin really HAS got ethereal powers so he can see into the future and knew the red card for Saah was coming then.

He erred on the side of caution by bringing in another defender and it now appears like a wise decision. More luck than judgement though and i don't think anyone can disagree with that. It was just a safety first policy that has now paid off which you could argue is good management i admit. For those of you slating us for wanting an attacker, we still NEED an attacker which Martin has failed to add. So he has made two decisions, one to bring in a defender which now seems astute and one NOT to bring in an attacker which , with Bodin being out seems a terrible oversight.

So for me Martin has neither done anything right or anything wrong, he is even. Those of you posting stuff like this and dragging up quotes to somehow make yourself look like you've got a massive cock to prove a point need to grow up a bit imho.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.