Mathieu Manset

General chat about anything else goes here.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

I am a very open minded peson not alot offends me so heres my take on this. I am not offened personally I can see why some decent black people would be upset. Generally ni**er and negro are terms used to the black race during slavery times and when they were treated as aliens or parasites hence we had the negro league in baseball. I know rappers use these words buts they are normally mindless nobs.

Personally why the heck do they have the MOBOS can we have the MOWOS?

Over and out

cheers
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

I'd quite like to see the MOGOs personally. But other than Mick Hucknall (ugh) and Florence whatshername, we'd be a bit short on nominees. Axl Rose perhaps or Josh Homme, Newton Faulkener (where's he gone?). Not exactly spoilt for choice.

Sorry for veering seriously off topic, just trying to lighten the mood :)
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

you can't do that it would be unfair. Scotland and Ireland would actually win something
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Good point.
Still it would've been great. I've had many a drunken thought about this, so many possibilities.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

steve_t wrote:Hi, I've read this site for some time but never felt moved to post for various reasons. It's strange that as someone who is nearly thirty and has been following United all my life I'm moved to post over something that is no longer football related.

Matt, over recent times you've used three derogatory terms for black (or mixed race) pro's. You've used them to test waters and make yourself appear un -pc. Well done. As a fellow United supporter who is not caucasian I would ask that you please engage the brain that you clearly have and stop.

And Trojan, removing racism from sport and PC are two very different issues.

Many thanks and apologies for interrupting your debate.

Steve

I hope you're encouraged to post again in the future, Steve. The more people involved, the more widespread the debate. That can only improve on what we're trying to build on this forum. Many thanks for your input.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Southampton Gull wrote:
Martin Luther King and Malcolm X used the word negro to describe their race so I'm not the only one am I?

I wasn't for one minute dismissing that it could be, just that I didn't think it was. Do you?

I think it would be offensive to some. As for the esteemed previous users of the word, time has moved on. Given that there are choices it not a word most people would use now.
TUST number 080
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Firstly hope to see you continue to post Steve.t,also hope Matt continues aswell,since the board has been back up and running Matt has contributed some brilliant stuff it most be said.

However that said Matt,i do agree, this is the third time you have used a shall we say 'word' to describe a coloured player,to me you are clearly intelligent and clearly do know these words are likely to cause offense amongst a % of users and those who chose just to read the site.

Can suggest in future you talk about coloured players with out feeling the need to press home the point about there ethnic back ground.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

And in the above post lies the crux of my argument. It seems there no longer remains any circumstance where one may refer to the colour of a man's skin without having someone take offence, often for no good reason.
I am now under the impression that c**n, n****r, w*g, negro, coloured and black are all offensive terms to at least one poster on this site.

Now, as some have been kind enough to mention on here, by a generous quirk of genetics, I am blessed with a not insignificant intellect (I'm no Southampton Gull, but then, who is?) but I am at a loss as to which other words are available.

Do we now find ourselves in a society where any reference to a man's skin colour is entirely taboo? Should we adopt into common speech, an alphanumeric ethnicity coding system, similar to that used by Home Office?

It is my view, that to cite a man's colour for the purposes of clarity, identification, description or any other valid, non prejudicial reason, is a wholly acceptable action. What is not acceptable is to treat less favourably a chap because of his colour. Since it now appears that each and every available word which may be used for the purposes of identifying a man by his colour is unacceptable, these two circumstances have conflated and the boundary distinction between them has been erased. This is a damning indictment on the state of our society and it saddens me greatly.

I note also with interest, that, with the possible (steve_t used the words “not caucasian”
, giving no indication as to what specific colour he may be) exception of one poster, every respondent to this thread has taken vicarious, rather than direct, offence to the words used. I'll leave the jury to decide on the relevance of that fact.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I'm with you Matt.

You used the word Negro in context to describe a BIG BUCK N*GG*R. We, those of us who understand, know this.

Some of you chirpin in have not listened to the advisement and are just asking for it.

Now listen deaf ears : CONTINUE THE DEBATE ON THE POPSIDE AND LEAVE THE MAIN BOARD FOR ITS INTENDED PURPOSE.
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

yeah 3 pages of this is completely unnecessary

Back to Manset, the tall black centre forward of Hereford, has scored 9 in all competitions this season, looks a decent target man, him and kee could be a good double if we lose benyon
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

A target man is certainly what we need, not sure about this Manset fellow though.

Ideally we want someone who can hold the ball just off the box so Wroe or O'Kane can come storming in and smash the bugger into the top right, though good centre forwards are hard to come by, especially on a budget.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I am not trying to fall out with any one here but maybe the point is being missed,or maybe not.

Why?, when talking about a player does anyone need to begin with ,the big tall 'white' centre forward,or the big 'black'centre forward,none of us are stupid we can tell the difference,it is not needed to add in a description on the colour of a player's skin whether he is 'white' or 'black'.

All you need to do is just simply talk about the player,in this day and age whether you like it or not there is a race relations act,i am not a P/C monster,however i do understand you can no longer say certain things against any skin colour,and yes even against white people,it maybe sad however it is the way is now.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Absolutely disgraceful is it ?

The ill advised and ill informed are going where you don't want to go. Shit stirrers are loving this as a shit stirrer's agenda is to cause conflict. Like it or not, racism exists and the worst offenders are those who play the race card at every opportunity.

I don't give a monkey's nuts whether it's black or white, as I've seen at first hand where it ends. Race, religion, polititics. I never thought for one moment that genocide would ever happen in Europe again after the tragedy of the Holocaust. Then Yugoslavia explodes.

This thread is about Mathieu Manset and his abilities as a footballer. The highlights I saw of his abilities impressed me enough to want him in our side leading the line.
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Ok, this thread is obviously one that has brought out strong feelings in people so I'll move it now to the Popside so that discussion can continue away from the Main Board. If people want to discuss the merits of said player feel free to create a new thread where I will limit the posts strictly to the topic of the thread.
Dave

steve_t
New Signing
New Signing

Post by steve_t »

Trojan 67 wrote:I'm with you Matt.

You used the word Negro in context to describe a BIG BUCK N*GG*R. We, those of us who understand, know this.

Some of you chirpin in have not listened to the advisement and are just asking for it.

Now listen deaf ears : CONTINUE THE DEBATE ON THE POPSIDE AND LEAVE THE MAIN BOARD FOR ITS INTENDED PURPOSE.

I hope you don't consider this 'playing the race card' but why would you ever want to describe anybody as that?