Bristol Rovers sack Mark McGhee

General chat about anything else goes here.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Only one, bugger, I must head to my local fishing retailer and get a bigger rod.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Haven't posted on here for a while, but i know you've always held a little bit (understatement) of a grudge for us, but where the hell have people been saying we'll piss over the division. Or even that he's a top drawer manager? Of course people say he needs to be backed in January, we're second from bottom with a crap squad and some of our 'better players' leaving their loan deals in Jan. The majority of fans realize that the problems are deeper than the manager, that being said at the start of a new manager coming in their is always a little bit of optimism. Let's face it, we can only get one place worse or better. I still think we're highly probable to go down in this year, but you're post is so bitter and deluded i couldn't resist logging back in. We took your manager a few years ago, a few of our fans were assholes about it, you ended up better off than us. Time to get over it? Most Torquay fans i've spoke to have.[/quote]

There you go Miagsygas. That's our Ferrari for you. Always looking to stir it up. I doubt he really means it but you never know. Just be thankfull he didn't apply for the job himself.
I know i have said on this forum before that there's problem clubs and then there Bristol Rovers. I stand by that because of the mire the board has got them into. Fans will vote with their feet and Rovers fans have done so over the last three years or so.
Rovers are deep in debt and this will hold them back badly. A large return of fans will help a great deal but it's also probable that they could go down and even go bust. with the fans having the start the club from sratch. I have no doubt that the fans would want to hold their head up high and rather than do what the red lot over the river did and let down all the small decent creditors they will start again if it does happen and climb up with honour.
i hope this doesn't happen. but I will be surprised if the club mounts a late bid for the playoffs. in fact i will be staggered. but this is football and you never know. it won't be the great escape. it will be even more epic. But if they do it will be all credit to them for it.
John Ward is coming back. I take back all I said and I am staggered. it's so rare that a manager revisits old ground. He is a thoughtfull intelligent man. not one to blow his top but he will insist on the best out of the players.
I am also interested that Marcus Stewart is coming in as coach. He was a top striker for them but i remember when he left under a bit of a cloud saying that Rovers were not much cop. many fans took exception to this. But I think he will be good for the club. it depends on what he was offered. I have a feeling he may be coming back because he was offered a lot of money.
Now Andy Tilson coming in. That's a very interesting prospect. he was by a country mile one of the best players to ever wear the blue and white quarters. he was one of a trio of Waddock late of Wycombe. Tilson and Justin Channing. all bought from QPR when Gerry Francis left Rovers for QPR. he recomended them to the then Rovers board and they bought all three. They were the backbone of the team in the late 80's and early 90's. to have one of them in the backroom staff will do Rovers a whole lot of good. Tilson was in my estimation the best of the bunch but the other two were damned good players as well.
I wish JW all the best at the Mem. he will need to call in all the favours he can to get them out of the mire. The fans will really need to get behind him and back him to the hilt. he will need all the luck in the world. and to whoever is possibly causing behind the scenes problems, i hope JW tells him to buzz off in no uncertain terms. I like John he is honest and down to earth , a bit like our own St Martin.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
miagsygas
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by miagsygas »

Gullscorer wrote:Welcome back Miagsygas. In fact, most Torquay fans would be very sad to see Rovers go down, just as we really don't want Argyle to be relegated. Football in the westcountry generally would be the poorer for it, and the potential for higher league football would be wasted. And we should miss all those local (even if you are 100 miles away) derbies..!!
Hi Gullscorer my old friend. Honestly, i don't think we'd survive relegation so i think it's a massive thing for us to stay up, the board know this and that's why we've acted so quickly. I also thoroughly enjoy our games. We don't play City nowadays, the local(ish) games mean so much more. I've always had a soft spot for Torquay and you guys bring a bigger more vocal crowd. I don't know what the conference is like but i can't imagine us having as many games to look forward, infact i could see a lot of fans leaving for good should we god forbid go down.
miagsygas
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by miagsygas »

ferrarilover wrote:Only one, bugger, I must head to my local fishing retailer and get a bigger rod.

Matt.
Congrats, but the amount of times i come on this forum (rarely) you can't deny that you hold ill feeling towards our club as I only recognise your username as the one who is usually trying to insult us. Wether you're wumming or not!
miagsygas
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by miagsygas »

Glostergull wrote:Haven't posted on here for a while, but i know you've always held a little bit (understatement) of a grudge for us, but where the hell have people been saying we'll piss over the division. Or even that he's a top drawer manager? Of course people say he needs to be backed in January, we're second from bottom with a crap squad and some of our 'better players' leaving their loan deals in Jan. The majority of fans realize that the problems are deeper than the manager, that being said at the start of a new manager coming in their is always a little bit of optimism. Let's face it, we can only get one place worse or better. I still think we're highly probable to go down in this year, but you're post is so bitter and deluded i couldn't resist logging back in. We took your manager a few years ago, a few of our fans were assholes about it, you ended up better off than us. Time to get over it? Most Torquay fans i've spoke to have.
There you go Miagsygas. That's our Ferrari for you. Always looking to stir it up. I doubt he really means it but you never know. Just be thankfull he didn't apply for the job himself.
I know i have said on this forum before that there's problem clubs and then there Bristol Rovers. I stand by that because of the mire the board has got them into. Fans will vote with their feet and Rovers fans have done so over the last three years or so.
Rovers are deep in debt and this will hold them back badly. A large return of fans will help a great deal but it's also probable that they could go down and even go bust. with the fans having the start the club from sratch. I have no doubt that the fans would want to hold their head up high and rather than do what the red lot over the river did and let down all the small decent creditors they will start again if it does happen and climb up with honour.
i hope this doesn't happen. but I will be surprised if the club mounts a late bid for the playoffs. in fact i will be staggered. but this is football and you never know. it won't be the great escape. it will be even more epic. But if they do it will be all credit to them for it.
John Ward is coming back. I take back all I said and I am staggered. it's so rare that a manager revisits old ground. He is a thoughtfull intelligent man. not one to blow his top but he will insist on the best out of the players.
I am also interested that Marcus Stewart is coming in as coach. He was a top striker for them but i remember when he left under a bit of a cloud saying that Rovers were not much cop. many fans took exception to this. But I think he will be good for the club. it depends on what he was offered. I have a feeling he may be coming back because he was offered a lot of money.
Now Andy Tilson coming in. That's a very interesting prospect. he was by a country mile one of the best players to ever wear the blue and white quarters. he was one of a trio of Waddock late of Wycombe. Tilson and Justin Channing. all bought from QPR when Gerry Francis left Rovers for QPR. he recomended them to the then Rovers board and they bought all three. They were the backbone of the team in the late 80's and early 90's. to have one of them in the backroom staff will do Rovers a whole lot of good. Tilson was in my estimation the best of the bunch but the other two were damned good players as well.
I wish JW all the best at the Mem. he will need to call in all the favours he can to get them out of the mire. The fans will really need to get behind him and back him to the hilt. he will need all the luck in the world. and to whoever is possibly causing behind the scenes problems, i hope JW tells him to buzz off in no uncertain terms. I like John he is honest and down to earth , a bit like our own St Martin.[/quote]

I have no doubt that we are in trouble deeper than the manager. That being said, there isn't a lot we can do, especially now. Back the club, get behind the new manager or vote with our feet, watch our club go under and drift into the conference. The fans will always be there, but the board aren't going anywhere in the short term. If we go bust, the fans will be the ones who pick up the pieces.

Stewart is already here as coach mate, he's working with the youths with Alan Walsh and apparently doing a bloody good job, the youths are our one bright light, from the seems of things. I'll be quietly optimistic with Ward, Stewie and Tilson, should he come. A good combination of experience, defence and attack. They won't be world beaters, we might still go down, but atleast it'll be honest and with effort. We won't be anywhere near playoffs or even the top half but i think they give us a chance to stay up.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Can't understand why some of you are so hostile to us and misquoting what our forum members are supposed to have said. Certainly I can say I have seen nothing on our site to suggest that we can be transformed from relegation fodder to play off contenders.
Unfortunately we dont have to play your lot every week otherwise maybe we could achieve it.
I say that in jest because you are the only team this season that when it was 11 vs 11 we absolutely tore you apart!!
Seriously I will settle for a season where we finish just 1 point5 outside the relegation spots.
I see the big problem will be persuading players in the January window to come to a team so low in League 2 but we will see. One things for sure we cant be as bad as the first half at York last week....or can we!!!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Gullscorer wrote:Welcome back Miagsygas. In fact, most Torquay fans would be very sad to see Rovers go down, just as we really don't want Argyle to be relegated.
I would bloody LOVE it if the Gargs went down.

Did they want us to stay up when we were relegated to the BSP? Did they hell - they were too busy lording it over both us and the greasers.

Well, now the tide has turned - a spell at in the BSP would be their just desserts.

Bloody good riddence too!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Scott Brehaut wrote:
I would bloody LOVE it if the Gargs went down.

Did they want us to stay up when we were relegated to the BSP? Did they hell - they were too busy lording it over both us and the greasers.

Well, now the tide has turned - a spell at in the BSP would be their just desserts.

Bloody good riddence too!!
AGREE! A spell in the BSP would teach some of their fans humility.

I didn't, however, want their club to go out of business and shut-up shop.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

friendlygas wrote:Can't understand why some of you are so hostile to us and misquoting what our forum members are supposed to have said. Certainly I can say I have seen nothing on our site to suggest that we can be transformed from relegation fodder to play off contenders.
Unfortunately we dont have to play your lot every week otherwise maybe we could achieve it.
I say that in jest ]because you are the only team this season that when it was 11 vs 11 we absolutely tore you apart!!Seriously I will settle for a season where we finish just 1 point5 outside the relegation spots.
I see the big problem will be persuading players in the January window to come to a team so low in League 2 but we will see. One things for sure we cant be as bad as the first half at York last week....or can we!!!

WE WERE AVIIN AN OFF DAY!
I say that in jest to. We have had mares against a couple of teams this season but we also have had a couple of blinding games. Mind you there is the replay to come between us two and the next time it will be very different I can promise you that. He says tying his various bodily parts together as tightly as possible untill it hurts. It will be interesting to see where each of us is in the league come that day.(now some smart arse is about to say it's next month) I ain't looked at the fixtures in a while and me ole memory ain't too good these days. No whwew do I have to go next?
Last edited by Glostergull on 17 Dec 2012, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.

Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

ferrarilover wrote:Only one, bugger, I must head to my local fishing retailer and get a bigger rod.

Matt.
Oh don't give us all that old tosh Matt. We know you go a damned great trawler in the harbour to reel em in !

Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

[quote="Glostergull]Oh don't give us all that old tosh Matt. We know you go a damned great trawler in the harbour to reel em in ![/quote]

Yet another example of overfishing..!! =D

As for survival in the Conference, it seems like the end of everything when you go down, but most clubs do survive, even if it might take a while to come back up. However, unless you have a billionaire benefactor, you will need to run a very tight budget.

It's time now, though, for Rovers supporters to really get behind the club and the team and give them your full support. Over the next few months that could be worth a dozen priceless points. :-D
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Roberts

Post by BritishGAS »

Gullscorer wrote:[quote="Glostergull]Oh don't give us all that old tosh Matt. We know you go a damned great trawler in the harbour to reel em in !
Yet another example of overfishing..!! =D

As for survival in the Conference, it seems like the end of everything when you go down, but most clubs do survive, even if it might take a while to come back up. However, unless you have a billionaire benefactor, you will need to run a very tight budget.

It's time now, though, for Rovers supporters to really get behind the club and the team and give them your full support. Over the next few months that could be worth a dozen priceless points. :-D[/quote][/quote]
We are all going to get behind John Ward

Only time will tell whether his return will galvanise the club, team and us Gasheads?

When Wardy was in charge last time it was fantastic to be a Gashead, even though we had no home, exiled in Bath and completely skint, we had quality players who had heart, spirit and were proud to pull on the quarters

Hopefully JW will get back to basics, pick players in their right positions and instill some pride back into the club, we sure as hell need it or it will be Goodnight Irene
Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

After Barnet's win tonight against Burton, Rovers are now bottom of the football league .. Remember last season when they called us tinpot and we never be as good as them and they would p!ss the league? .. Funny how things change!
Dreaming Of Promotion ..
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

It's amazing what a change of manager can do to a fanbase. The Rovers board is largely advocating the view that they were better yesterday and it's a small step in the right direction.

Sounds lovely, until you read that they managed to get a 2-2 draw in a match where they had just 1 shot on target all afternoon (pens, it seems, don't count). Under McGhee, they'd have been calling it the worst Rovers performance for 50 years. Under Ward, it's the green shoots of recovery. I give it 3 days before the first "We can still make the Playoffs" thread and 6 weeks before he's sacked with Useless still inextricably nailed to the foot of the table.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21077955

McGhee has inexplicably found himself in a national team job.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...