MATCH OFF - Aldershot v Torquay United - 29/12/12

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

MATCH OFF - Aldershot v Torquay United - 29/12/12

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

What do you think will happen in this one?

I'm going for a 1-1 draw, we'll create nothing, go in front from an own goal and then let one in at the death. It will boring as hell to watch, 500 of you will go and watch it, 250 of you will come on here saying it was a fair result although we were poor but accept it ( failure ) and move on to the home game with Wimbledon which will also see us limp over the line with a 1-0 win, helped by the wombles inability to score from their 100 shots at goal whilst we have 1.

250 of you will come on here voicing your displeasure at another inept performance but when you've logged off it's forgotten. Weird one that.

3 of the 500 will come on here to post a MOTM vote which, looking at the 1500 odd who went to Home Park today and the 9 or so votes, this facility should be scrapped, we thank Gulliball for his sterling work over the years, buy him a persoanlised paperweight and shut the site down permanently as it seems nobody has any views anymore worth posting.

I can't really write anything more to try and get more interaction from site users than i already have in previous matchday threads so have it your way if you must.

Aldershot 1 Torquay 1 ( Howe with an overdue opener cancelled out late on )

Not much point in posting the stats. If you're interested then go to the BBC website.

Cheers.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

miserable sod! :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

SuperNickyWroe wrote:miserable sod! :rofl:
Just being honest Chris.

If no one is bothered about threads then i may as well put up the fixture and date and let people post what they want, when they want. No point in me spending time doing research, making jokes or coming up with random quizzes if nobody wants it mate! :~D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

austrianandygull wrote: Just being honest Chris.

If no one is bothered about threads then i may as well put up the fixture and date and let people post what they want, when they want. No point in me spending time doing research, making jokes or coming up with random quizzes if nobody wants it mate! :~D
sounds a bit fishy to me............ 8/
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Robiberto22 »

I'm gonna be positive and go for a cheekey last minute 1-0 Rene or Saah

Keep the faith Gulls :scarf:
ALAN KNILL'S YELLOW ARMY !!! - Oh wait ...
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

God, this is depressing. With due regard to our status and absolute respect to Aldershot who, ordinarily, are a fine FL side, we cannot be barely hopeful of a point against the team who are, as near as makes no difference, the very worst the Football League has to offer.
Until 2 games ago, Shots had managed 3 goals at home all season.
Surely last year's Playoff semi-finalists can't be thinking in terms of anything less than a relatively simple victory?

Bloody hell <name of person who is to blame>, what have you done to us?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

If we don't get at least 4 points from our next two games I will be very disappointed. With all due respect to Aldershot and Wimbledon, they are struggling near the foot of the table and if we have intent of promotion, we need to get stuck into them and I think we will win easily.

Very happy to be going to Aldershot on a Saturday, the atmosphere on a Tuesday night from us is normally very good so looking forward to seeing at least 500 gulls fans (I hope) making some noise.

As for the result, I expect it to be like last season, get outplayed and somehow take home the 3 points.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

After what I saw yesterday, a loss is right on the cards here. We have a small squad decimated by injuries and if Manse don't make it then its a 1-0 loss me thinks. A game I usually attend but I'm in sunny Torbay for the Xmas period and can't hack the 303 again until I go back to basingstoke on the 1st
TUST MEMBER
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

austrianandygull wrote:What do you think will happen in this one?

I'm going for a 1-1 draw, we'll create nothing, go in front from an own goal and then let one in at the death. It will boring as hell to watch, 500 of you will go and watch it, 250 of you will come on here saying it was a fair result although we were poor but accept it ( failure ) and move on to the home game with Wimbledon which will also see us limp over the line with a 1-0 win, helped by the wombles inability to score from their 100 shots at goal whilst we have 1.

250 of you will come on here voicing your displeasure at another inept performance but when you've logged off it's forgotten. Weird one that.

3 of the 500 will come on here to post a MOTM vote which, looking at the 1500 odd who went to Home Park today and the 9 or so votes, this facility should be scrapped, we thank Gulliball for his sterling work over the years, buy him a persoanlised paperweight and shut the site down permanently as it seems nobody has any views anymore worth posting.

I can't really write anything more to try and get more interaction from site users than i already have in previous matchday threads so have it your way if you must.

Aldershot 1 Torquay 1 ( Howe with an overdue opener cancelled out late on )

Not much point in posting the stats. If you're interested then go to the BBC website.

Cheers.
Hmm, I wonder why? Because if they air a different opinion to one that fits others, they will get shouted down and called up for it. Just think, what was it, about a month ago I gave a different view to your own and was the subject of a tirade of abuse. I used to enjoy posting on here - when I first started using the site. Back then we used to have very good debates - Louis, Dave, Gulliball were all more regular posters than they are now, aswell as members like Fonda, Forever, jocktheknife,royalgull, yellowsmiffy and Jane aswell. Now they don't seem to post as much, some not at all. It was a much better place to be back then, as you could actually get your opinions across without being abused for it. Now it seems that if someone says something in support of what is going on at the club, you are likely to go off on one at them. What was it you called me again? "Am I programmed? Do I ever show any passion?". It isn't how it used to be, it isn't how it should be. Thats why I rarely post these days.

As for the other bolded bit, it is a case of accepting where we are, as a club. We overachieved last year, we got very, very lucky with injuries. There is no way that our SQUAD should have been so close to the top 3. The starting XI was a good one, with some outstanding (Bobby, EoK, Mansell, Ellis, Rene) but once you looked past that it was bottom half L2 (McPhee, Atieno etc). This year we've had alot of injuries, which is evening out after the luck last year. I'm a believer in things equalling each other out. This is where we are at a club. We sold 3 of our best players last year and we're expected to recover from that? It certainly isn't going to happen again this year - if it does then ML deserves the freedom of the Bay, because it will be a miracle. We got some money, which has gone to try and improve the clubs infrastructure - hence the stand, the training ground, and even the seats in the family stand and the big screen (which I believe cost just shy of £70k). You say it's accepting failure, it's accepting reality mate. If you want really good football then League 2 isn't where you're going to get it.

Cheers all.
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

Good post Nick.

The last couple of posts I have made have been in support of Yeoman starting and Nathan Craig being played centrally and now Mansell is out both of those should happen. Bodin can be played on the wing with Yeoman and Howe up top and Easton and Craig in midfield, that is a better balance than what was selected yesterday. I hope Martin isn't tempted to do a straight swap of Lathrope for Mansell because, as much as I rate Lathrope, our problem is not being able to dominate play and we are sitting back too much. Having Craig in midfield will allow us to at least attempt to dictate some of the play.

Aldershot have hit a bit of form and I will hold off on a score prediction until I see the teamsheet. What we really need is Morris, Mansell, Macklin, Thompson and Jarvis available, an in-form Bodin and a striker in on loan. Who knows where we would be? Similar to last year I would suggest. :aww:
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Is Saah still out for this one?

If so, I presume Nico will be captain given Manse's injury.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

Just as a matter of interest we did actually do all right when mansel was out before including the 2-0 win at York and McDonald has been in fine form since Saah suspended so if Nial back and hopefully Macklin back soon..a little nurturing to Danny and Billy to build up the confidence then I think that we should be positive about this match........COYY
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Nick, as i've said before, i am only in a position to say sorry to you and to others who have felt my comments aimed at them to be unacceptable. I accept this and have apologised.

My post on this thread was my opinion on a situation, it wasn't aimed at anyone let alone you yet you somehow bring it back to me and refer to it to put me down. You quote things i said to you in previous posts and you are correct. You also told me to 'change the record' in one of your posts. Very abrupt don't you think?

The reason why you long for the halcyon days on this site when everyone was friends is maybe because you all agree with each other and there are no arguments. Ever thought about that? My views are in the minority and i defend my right to air them with such strength and aggression of passion and belief. It is YOU who doesn't like people who have opinions that differ from your own and not me.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Furthermore Nick, i feel you are still missing my main point and my complaint.

It is not about success for me, it is not about expecting a higher league position than the quality of our squad allows and is not about slating the players or manager if they lose games.

My whole encompassing point is that the football i have watched under Ling is for the most part absolutely dire and i get nothing from going to watch Torquay anymore. Yes i may sound like a broken record and there isn't a lot i can do about that. The only man who can change the record for me is Martin Ling when he decides to go ut and win games more than a goal to nil. Like some other posters have said, we just can't get away with it and it has now become a monkey on our backs. I know i am in the minority but i just cannot understand Martin persisting with this.

I don't accept that we shouldn't be entertaining because we are a league 2 club and we're not very good. You can drop down into non league and see cracking entertainment with two sides giving it their all. I don't see that with Ling ANYWHERE and i find it unacceptable.

If you wish to make excuses for poor football then fine, i am not happy with it and i would rather be nowhere near the play offs but enjoy watching Torquay again. I don't want success, i just want to be entertained now and again and at least have a manager that once in a while just says, oh f*ck it! just go for it lads.
Sexy_Gulls
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Sexy_Gulls »

I'd rather we got in the playoffs personally. I will take the outrageous hatchet job at Barnet last season over the beautiful failure this time around. Ask Barnet fans and I'm sure they would take a similar view.

Yes it gets a bit grim sometimes , but I like moaning about football...

Anyway, 5-0. Rene, Rene, Craig, Bodin and Rene. Attendance, 13,952.