Rovers get new stadium?

General chat about anything else goes here.
Kinky John Fowler
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Kinky John Fowler »

Richinns wrote:OK - well if that is the case then let me light the fuse!

In 5 year’s time what are your predictions for where Gas and City will be respectively. Would be interesting to see where (and by how far!) your's and John's predictions differ!

This is my honest opinion.

Bristol City are currently staring relegation from the Championship in the face. Our previous manager, Derek McInnes was sacked about 6 weeks too late IMO and whilst we have employed a good manager in Sean O' Driscoll he isn't a miracle worker. It's very difficult to see us staying up this season however I have more faith in SO'D bringing stability to our performances next season. BritishGas is correct in pointing out that we have huge debts, however our debts are owed to one of the richest men in the country who has stated that he wants to make the club self sufficient in the future (hence the need for a new stadium) and has also said he wouldn't leave the club in the s**t. He has even installed his own son on the board.

From past experience, League 1 seems a very difficult division to get promoted from. I would expect another lengthy stay for City with a fair bit of mid table mediocrity. The new stadium seems a long way away at the moment due to the actions of a small group of people opposed to the new development despite the club bending over backwards to give them what they are supposedly fighting for.

In 5 years time I predict Bristol City to be mid table in League 1 and still playing at Ashton Gate.

Bristol Rovers are currently bottom of the entire Football League however they have brought in a manager who is respected by both City and Rovers fans alike. I believe this decisive action before Christmas will eventually see Rovers pull well clear of the League 2 drop zone. The new stadium represents a chance for the club to progress and there is no point denying that this is a huge step forward for them especially considering their current facilities. Of course new stadiums do not guarantee success on the pitch but they can make a club more attractive for possible signings and can generate extra income that can be invested into players as well as making the club more financially secure.

Some Gasheads I know have made grand predictions of Premiership football in 10 years time, I'm not so sure about that, Chesterfield have recently had a new stadium and I don't predict top flight football for them in the next decade either. I believe that Rovers will start their first season in their new stadium still a League 2 club but will get promoted and 'level out' for several years in League 1.

In 5 years time I predict Bristol Rovers to be mid table in League 1 paying at the new UWE stadium.

More relevant to this Forum however is where will Torquay be in 5 years time? After some successful seasons challenging for promotion you appear to have fallen away this season. Obviously you guys know far more about your prospects for the rest of the season but what about the future?
Kinky John Fowler
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Kinky John Fowler »

Southampton Gull wrote: I actually enjoy seeing them squabble :)
We are like a couple of 'Vicky Pollards' shouting "SHHHUTTTUP" and "DO I LOOK BOVVVERED" in the middle of Asda (or Asdal as we call it in Bristle).

:-D