Exeter City v Torquay United - 28/1/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Phew!
That'll do for now.
MH91
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by MH91 »

just watched the game on sky...amazing win..it could prove to be a decisive point of the season..happy with the performance of everyone..great display and great defensive effort at the end of the game...amazing to see my Torquay win on Sky...great times..COYY!!!
P.S. Manse = Man of the match!!!
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

Downes
Poke
Saah
Mansell
Bodin
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Tisdale complete ASS !
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Manse
Downes
Poke
Saah
Lathrope

All of those should take a bow. They had great games.
What no Bodin?!! He won the penalty didn't you know?! ;-)

No sh*t, tonight was immense and i only saw the last 20 minutes. The negative being that once again we were well under the cosh with blocks going in left right and centre and Pokey again having a stormer and this happens every game away from home. If we don't find a way to take control of games away at least then we will lose a lot of points still as we could have done this evening.

That is all i'm going to say detracting from the achievement of tonight as i would prefer to concentrate on the positives. It isn't a complaint i just thought i would get that out there as it is what i feel. Otherwise a thoroughly committed and hardworking performance and everybody gave their all for the yellow cause and to beat our bitter rivals on their own patch is very satisfying indeed. It is another 3 points on the board and we can now try and kick on from here with another toughie at Whaddon Road on saturday.

We won't get sucked into the battle at the bottom based on that because we can grind out enough points but again i must state that we need some more firepower because had they got the goal that they probably deserved then we would be talking about another poor return in front of goal with just a penalty to show.

Anyway, to those of you who kept the faith, it is fully vindicated and to the ones like me who doubted what we could achieve tonight then i look like a dick and am happy to say that i am a dick. It's only 1 game though and there is still work to be done but for now let's sit back and savour the moment.

A superb result and well done all round to the management, players and fans! :bow:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Bodin gets an honourable mention, but he wasn't on the pitch for the whole game.

However, he had a great first half and got the "assist" so I'm happy at that

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by coley in stripes »

Fantastic win....Bye till the next one. Hopefully Saturday
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Brilliant performance against a superior side. Gow and Cureton are too good for Div 4 - very nice of Tiswas not to start the latter.

First to every loose ball; snapping at their heels; superb, committed defence by all 11 players.

Shame we can't fight like that in every game, but this is not a night for whinging.

COYY
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I thought we would get spanked but credit due - it was a real fighting display. Thought we were the better team for 60 mins then the wind seemed to get up and it was backs to the wall but we dug in well. Special mention to Billy who showed some glimpses of his true talent and won the decisive penalty. He has had enough stick that it is only fair to give him priase when it is deserved.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
markw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by markw »

Echo all the comments on here about the commitment shown by the players . Nerves gone completely though, be interesting to hear from those who were there how strong the wind was , as it looked on the TV that we were struggling to get the ball out of our half because of it.

Lets hope it's the start of a positive run of results
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Richinns wrote:I thought we would get spanked but credit due - it was a real fighting display. Thought we were the better team for 60 mins then the wind seemed to get up and it was backs to the wall but we dug in well. Special mention to Billy who showed some glimpses of his true talent and won the decisive penalty. He has had enough stick that it is only fair to give him priase when it is deserved.

Totally agree there Rich. My earlier comments on this thread were tongue in cheek. Sounded like a positive step forward from Billy which we need to see next week and the week after that. No point getting up for the big game and going missing for the others. Yes i'm a cynic but we'll see what happens. For now though, on the face of it, a huge well done to Billy and praise indeed.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Wubble U
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Sills
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Wubble U »

Is it just me or does tisdale remind you of buckle after defeat :)
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

We were the better side for 70mins, should have been 3 up and to be fair cureton made a difference. we stopped passing it, went into survival mode and somehow got out of there without conceeding. Magic 3 points, unexpected but much needed.

Thought Lathrope was superb first half but went off the boil 2nd half which was a shame because he kept the ball moving nicely for us and kept us passing the ball. we lost our control on the game second half when he stopped doing that. Rene was a bully against them and dominated the 2 centre backs on his own brilliantly. Superb front man performance. Pokey and the defense were absolute trojans along with Manse chucking his body everywhere.

Really excellent 3 points. Delighted.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Manse getting deliberately punched by the Exeter keeper and getting booked is my bizzaro moment of the match.
TUST member 203
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

A great performance and three priceless points if ever there was. Yokel Taylor was completely embarassing in his tv interviews though - ouch.
I actually thought Exeter were dismal tonight and Gow "we are going to show them how good we are" - scottish **** who bottled it on the night.
Why do we concede late goals? - easy really. We continually give the ball away from situations when we are in control. Lathrope does it repeatedly and Stevens is much the same.
Actually thought the substitutions were puzzling. Jarvis who has virtually played no football stayed on for ninety minutes and why was Bodin taken off.
Macklin was hopeless and was blowing out his ringpiece despite being on the pitch for only ten minutes.
Yeoman for Jarvis looked the obvious substitution to me.
Great dive by Bodin for the penalty though.