Club statement

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dockers Pal
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by Dockers Pal »

The players need someone who is going to inspire them - get them believing again.
Personally I would prefer an older guy who's turned around teams before. I'd love to see us try to get any one of Joe Kinnear, Alan Curbishley, Ian Dowie, or Paul Ince. Surely a few months on the Riviera will be tempting, what have we or they got to lose? Rioch and Lee seem good shouts as well.
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

After the sense of huge disapointment of last nights 1 - 3 reverse and my mini-rant it is a positive thing to hear from the club about Martin Ling and, I'm sure, we all wish him the best for a speedy return. I had some really bad news this morning about a close friend down in Abingdon who has a been diagnosed with testicular cancer. He's only 41 but thankfully they have caught it in time and have operated to remove the tumour. My point is that sometimes there is more to life than football and it puts it all into perspective. Anyway I hope the club gets someone in real soon to help out and here's to Martin's speedy recovery.
Oblivion!!!!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

It has to be someone who has managed before. A duo of North and Taylor would see us drop further into the mix because neither are managers. They are assistants.

There are always the crazies who think a club like Torquay could attract someone recently sacked by a Premiership club. Graham Westley might be more realistic but even he is probably beyond us, although often such a short-term post might seem a way back in for someone under normal circumstances we could not expect to get for a 'permanent' post.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I know this isn't really a normal situation, but does anybody have any idea how long something like this takes? Will we have somebody in by the weekend?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

That is a good question Scott, honest answer I do not know. However obviously the club will not be going for someone currently employed, sometimes in football when these things become public some out of work managers/coachs will contact the club involved or someone will come recommended, after all Lingy never applied for the job.

I hope we could have someone at Rochdale having a look, it needs swift action, if your going bring someone in sooner, rather than later.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Gullscorer wrote:Carl Fletcher....?? :whistle:

yellowsmiffy wrote:
He'd give the central midfield some competition too, not that we need it.....
:O That was not supposed to have been taken seriously....!!
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

I think it will be someone who has been here before. I think it will be Leroy or Curle.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

bruce rioch, leroy, ian atkins?
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Leroy for me.
gulltastic
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: o'kane

Post by gulltastic »

Leroy would be perfect
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

I doubt Leroy would fancy it to be honest, after his last calamitous 10 minute spell in charge. He seems fairly happy in the media.

Rioch has been linked with Plymouth jobs in the past, but someone of his experience is likely to want at least the chance of a permanent role. It's a difficult thing for the club to sell.

Those likely to be interested would probably have fairly little managerial experience and want a chance to show what they can do (Chris Hargreaves, Steve Woods) or those who have been dismissed previously and find their career in relative tatters and would jump at the chance to manage any club. (Steve Kean?)
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Just throwing this out there, though I appreciate why many wouldn't be keen: Carl Fletcher.
TUST member 203
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

stevegull wrote:I doubt Leroy would fancy it to be honest, after his last calamitous 10 minute spell in charge. He seems fairly happy in the media.

Rioch has been linked with Plymouth jobs in the past, but someone of his experience is likely to want at least the chance of a permanent role. It's a difficult thing for the club to sell.

Those likely to be interested would probably have fairly little managerial experience and want a chance to show what they can do (Chris Hargreaves, Steve Woods) or those who have been dismissed previously and find their career in relative tatters and would jump at the chance to manage any club. (Steve Kean?)
If Rioch does want to get back in to management he may see this as an ideal stepping stone to make the move back from the wilderness, bearing in mind he's been out of it for five years since ending his stint managing in Scandinavia.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

divingbboy wrote:Just throwing this out there, though I appreciate why many wouldn't be keen: Carl Fletcher.
He hasn't got the experience. He couldn't turn Plymouth's fortunes around, I really don't think this is the time to be giving people a chance to prove themselves.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084