Fans getting angry.....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Our squad is good enough for mid table at least and compared to some in our division it is favourable. We shouldn't be in this mess not because the players are crap because generally they aren't but because those players have been drilled NOT TO LOSE FOOTBALL MATCHES by Ling and now Knill it appears. It became obvious a few months into the season that this tactic wasn't working but he persisted. That is the reason why we are 3rd bottom now. There are other factors obviously like errors from the board and the players not taking responsibility but IMO the seed was sewn from day 1 and we have had the unfortunate absence of Ling to overcome, the total ineptness of Taylor, the incorrect appointment of Knill, the lack of loan signings and totally unsuitable ones when they arrived ( Benyon ). In short it has been one long relentless catalogue of hilarious gaffes that are turning out not to be funny.

This has nothing to do with the fans having it cushty for the last few years and expecting too much. I expected mid table this season with an outside slight hope of a play off push and i'm sure most of you did too. We have the same players as we did back then when we were hopeful of this so they haven't just become sh*t. They have been coached to be so negative that now it is too late to change unless a dynamic, energetic manager with ideas was brought in. We appointed Knill. We are down.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

austrianandygull wrote:Our squad is good enough for mid table at least and compared to some in our division it is favourable. We shouldn't be in this mess not because the players are crap because generally they aren't but because those players have been drilled NOT TO LOSE FOOTBALL MATCHES by Ling and now Knill it appears. It became obvious a few months into the season that this tactic wasn't working but he persisted. That is the reason why we are 3rd bottom now. There are other factors obviously like errors from the board and the players not taking responsibility but IMO the seed was sewn from day 1 and we have had the unfortunate absence of Ling to overcome, the total ineptness of Taylor, the incorrect appointment of Knill, the lack of loan signings and totally unsuitable ones when they arrived ( Benyon ). In short it has been one long relentless catalogue of hilarious gaffes that are turning out not to be funny.

This has nothing to do with the fans having it cushty for the last few years and expecting too much. I expected mid table this season with an outside slight hope of a play off push and i'm sure most of you did too. We have the same players as we did back then when we were hopeful of this so they haven't just become sh*t. They have been coached to be so negative that now it is too late to change unless a dynamic, energetic manager with ideas was brought in. We appointed Knill. We are down.
I think this belief is the reason that you get so angry and frustrated Andy.

Unfortunately I think you are mistaken, not about the negativity or playing style but about the players.

The players just aren't good enough, last season we had the best keeper and the best midfielder in the division. Probably inspired by this, Mansell, Nicholson and Stevens had the best seasons of their entire careers. Now those 2 stars have gone and the others have reverted to the sort of form you would expect from players who have spent long spells in non-league.

Poke is decent for this level, Saah and Howe are quality. Downes is starting to make too many costly errors (lack of games in recent years catching up with him maybe?). The rest? Non-league standard and that's where they are headed.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I accept that to some extent Jerry but a half decent manager can get crap players producing the odd result here and there so if we are indeed totally crap then it's the management failing IMO. If lower league sides in cup competitons can beat teams higher up the pyramid, why do we look so poor against teams just a few places higher in our own league? I know it's a ridiculous example but if we got someone in with the winning attitude that Harry Redknapp has then we could get the wins we need to stay up, we'd still be crap but someone like Redknapp could tweak the tactics, identify QUICKLY the areas we are struggling in and pick a team accordingly and get them up for the fight. Ling couldn't do this and neither can Knill it seems so they've failed/failing. Do you see where i'm coming from although i'm probably
not explaining myself very well. :-/

I should get the Neds CD's on and chill out ( if that's possible? ) :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

austrianandygull wrote:I accept that to some extent Jerry but a half decent manager can get crap players producing the odd result here and there so if we are indeed totally crap then it's the management failing IMO. If lower league sides in cup competitons can beat teams higher up the pyramid, why do we look so poor against teams just a few places higher in our own league? I know it's a ridiculous example but if we got someone in with the winning attitude that Harry Redknapp has then we could get the wins we need to stay up, we'd still be crap but someone like Redknapp could tweak the tactics, identify QUICKLY the areas we are struggling in and pick a team accordingly and get them up for the fight. Ling couldn't do this and neither can Knill it seems so they've failed/failing. Do you see where i'm coming from although i'm probably
not explaining myself very well. :-/

I should get the Neds CD's on and chill out ( if that's possible? ) :lol:

You must be due another meltdown Andy :lol:
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I agree with Andy here, I actually don't think the team is really that bad. I believe the tactics have been designed for a different team and the players aren't motivated, partly due to lack of managerial motivation and that in the back of their minds, they have a job to look for in the summer.

There have been far too many failings in all areas, but I think the biggest ones have come from Ling.

Tactics - just awful. It's as if he forgot how football works. He started making the same mistakes that we all slated Buckle for, playing a slow striker on the right wing anyone? He also trumped Buckle with two slow left footed players on the wing. Think Gareth Barry playing right wing, you wouldn't ever dream of it, would you?

I don't mind defensive play, when its needed, but we don't need to play that way EVERY game. We have the ability to win games and we have the players who can attack. This is what frustrates me the most, I genuinely believe we have a team capable of firstly, not putting us in this position and secondly, getting us out of it. What I don't believe in is their confidence, the tactics, the management, the board, half of the fans and the referees.

Just to make one thing clear here, I'm not saying that the players are without fault. I'm saying they have not had their jobs made easy for them. They should also be far more professional in their efforts to ensure the club paying their wages stays up.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

There is simply one way to go from now on and that is to take the game to the opposition. We have tried being cautious and it simply hasnt worked.
At the start of the season we had Howe, Bodin, Macklin and Thompson terrorising opposition defences in some matches. Draws are no good for us now, its wins we are after.
Harry Redknapp in the Sun today says its no use his QPR players sitting back and look at his record of fire fighting. Lets make them worry about us and at least go down fighting!!
Tust member 191
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I ve noticed a real demise in the Match day experience over the last year or so.
I wonder if anybody else agrees??
Lets start with when you arrive and maybe you want to visit the shop. The staff are rude, the kit is terrible quality. I am not spending another penny in there until they address this. How do they expect people to buy stuff when it only lasts a week!
The Stewards have changed more times this season than ever before. The music is terrible, would nt inspire a tidley winks game! No wonder there is no atmosphere. The cross bar challenge is ok but i cant understand a word Dean Edwards says.
I am a supporter through thick and thin, and i will go no matter which league we play in but for gods sack SORT IT OUT BOARD.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I know i ve got fat fingers!!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

:clap: I've got a fat head! :~D

I know what you mean about the clubs shop though, the few times i've been in the 'person' serving me has been disinterested and often talking to other people whilst i am asking questions about products or trying to be served. If i am to part with my money they at least need to respect me and give me the courtesy of affording me their full attention whilst the sale / enquiry has been completed. Also the shop looks a mess, i know it's small but i've been in similar sixed club shops this season and some of them put ours to shame with their layout, presentation and ideas.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I own a retail shop and if i had the attitude of the shops staff i would have no customers. It doesn't take alot. Basic manners. Its no wonder sales are down. They could do so much better. Any way after TOP GEAR if I am still awake i will put some of the half time music on, that should do it!!
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

I run a solely online business and even on line your service has to be top notch nowadays or customers walk.

We were only saying yesterday that it is quite difficult to buy anything at Torquay , especially since we have moved to the bench near the away fans.

No refreshments anywhere near,no bar , so I definitely spend much less than I used to and my match day experience has changed overall.

In September we tried to buy mini mid Devon a jacket but gave up when the size was out of stock and instead of taking our details and calling us the shop team just let us walk out!
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

yellowsmiffy wrote:6667gull, surely anyone who knows even the slightest bit about football would realise that there is a time to give criticism, and there is a time to show support. During your 47 years, I'm sure there havn't been many seasons like this one where the team has been dropping like a stone. In past seasons of success, occasionally the players do need a kick up the backside, and for someone to tell them to buck their ideas up, but that obviously isn't the case at the moment.

The players visibly perform worse once the crowd get on the back. If our league status is less important to you than your right as a paying football fan to shout what you want, so be it. That's your choice. But don't moan when we're in the BSP about how the situation could have been avoided, as you will have been one of the very smaller pieces in our relegation jigsaw.
Yes this is by far the poorest seasons football I have seen in those 47 years. Only 3 perfomances have deserved praise being Aldershot and Gillingham at home and Exeter away.

This includes all other relegation seasons during that period when we at least tried even if we were useless.

Are you saying that the players don't need a kick up the ass or be told to buck up their ideas? Get real, they need both several times over.

Our league status is important as if we do go down we will not get back again.

If we do lose our league status it will be what we deserve based on our results over 46 games.

As a season ticket holder I will have an opinion to which I am entitled.

I will also be one of the 1,000 or less still watcing us should we be in the BSP.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

I think that the board ripped the spine out of the team with the ‘Summer Sales’. The priority was infrastructure spending and debt reduction and Dinger’s brief became to mark time and to survive.

That brief was enough to drive a man to distraction, if not to drink.

It is the same with this hapless government that believes that the answer to balancing the books is to cut spending. They forget that in doing so they affect their tax income and so perpetuate a vicious spiral.

Faced with a lack of investment how is Dinger to play progressive football any more than the economy is supposed to grow without stimulus?

The board have reaped what they have sown.

Angry? I’m bloody livid. We sold too much, and invested too little in the team.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

yellowsmiffy wrote:Mid Devon, that is absolute sh*t and quite insulting. They are not getting paid much at all when you consider how short their careers are. They can spend their money on whatever they like, someone has given them that contract, and it's their money to do with as they please. Chris Hargreaves has to sell a lot of his stuff just to pay the bills during his time with us. For goodness sake, read some of the autobiographies of players who play at this level and get some perspective FFS. Also if you do a bit of reading, you will realise that many of our players will be sh*tting themselves about the prospect of having to relocate, and potentially being out of work.

You will also realize from reading books by players, that crowds can have a significantly bad impact on a team's performance. 'I am the secret footballer' alludes to this strongly, and even Manse said the same thing in the programme notes today. The players know when they have played a bad pass, or taken a bad touch, the last thing they need is some mid-life crisis suffering fool to start spouting his face off at them, for doing something that he could never do, and never will do.
Sorry Yellow. they earn far more than you realize. Your talking about a short career as if they have no prospect at all of any other job when they leave football. They do get other jobs. it's not a case of football player until your in your 30's and then unemployment for the rest of your life. They earn in their short careers at least twice what you get in your lifetime. And then are free to either get another job in the game after they hang up their boots or join us unwashed in the market place after.

I know of one player we see on an almost daily basis. He played for the brizzle boys and now is a UPS delivery driver. He was able to earn enough to pay his mortgage off in 10 years and it is an expensive house. I bet you will find if they are wise many of our team with be similarly well off. We may be frustrated but no way are we entitled to abuse anyone no matter what they play like, It doesn't even matter if it was someone outside. If you abused anyone like that in the street you would be arrested. And don't think for one minute it will make them play any better. it wont. It may well instead, make more of them want to leave. and they wont play at all well until they leave. No excuses.

There are very few options open to us to have a protest that really makes them sit up. One would be write well thought out letter to the board. Stating your opinions. Another would be, don't attend and let the attendances show them. although I doubt it would help us get in players as we need to money. we could hold up a banner during the match saying please don't let our club die. That would have more affect. Yet another would be to ask for a live forum between fans and board and team and be civil about it. No swearing or abuse. just ask in a calm matter of fact way and make sure you have thought out your questions beforehand. make them short and to the point and pull no punches, but do it without profanity. Believe it or not. a well thought out question put in the correct way will make any one who isn't pulling their weight feel most uncomfortable.

The fan who hurls abuse only shows himself up to have no respect or self control. I know how you all feel, but self control in this situation will do more in the long run. Try out my ideas or at least think of them. it will do no harm
After the events up here during the last weekend I certainly won't be looking on as if it's the most important thing in the world. Keep that in mind and it will help raise the sort of things in your mind that will make those in control sit up and take notice
Last edited by Glostergull on 10 Mar 2013, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

SBP wrote:I ve noticed a real demise in the Match day experience over the last year or so.
I wonder if anybody else agrees??
Lets start with when you arrive and maybe you want to visit the shop. The staff are rude, the kit is terrible quality. I am not spending another penny in there until they address this. How do they expect people to buy stuff when it only lasts a week!
The Stewards have changed more times this season than ever before. The music is terrible, would nt inspire a tidley winks game! No wonder there is no atmosphere. The cross bar challenge is ok but i cant understand a word Dean Edwards says.
I am a supporter through thick and thin, and i will go no matter which league we play in but for gods sack SORT IT OUT BOARD.
I have thought this for some time. It may have resonated with me more as I watch Exeter Chiefs if Torquay are away and Chiefs are at home and if you think that they were a small-time sports club a few years ago with gates under 1000 and what they are now. The whole match day experience is in a different league to the experience at Plainmoor. I go to Plainmoor to catch up with my friends and because watching TUFC is so deeply ingrained in me that I cannot kick the habit (although non-league football again may help in that respect!!) but I rarely enjoy it. Losing all the time obviously does not help but the atmosphere is just very poor and partly that is maybe because the football has been poor.

Plainmoor just feels dead.