Club statement

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave Caldwell
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Dave Caldwell »

[quote][/quote]The search for a successful manager does not lie in the NAME, many managers who have been successful at a precious time at the club or elsewhere fail on a regular basis, the reason is they have a different set of player and circumstances, what a chairman does not have is a “crystal ball”.
It is important the position is filled by a person who has adaptability, its very important in the first instance he can get the players confidence and trust, he can identify a system and pattern of play that works for the current squad, also too much change and large learning curves can be dangerous as it takes time, time a new manager will not have.
It takes time to get to know players, it takes time to work on weaknesses, the wrong manager with the wrong ideas may be worse than no manager at all?
Gain players confidence and trust in the first instance without this it will be a challenge, build on strengths and work on weaknesses on the training pitch, install belief and a good work ethic, motivate, set standards and don’t accept second best from anyone at the club and you will be in good shape.

Dave Caldwell
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

well said dave, it has to be the rght person not just a name.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Bitchie Renault wrote:Just been through a list of apparent out of work managers and there's quite a few well known names out there, I guess a lot o them are probably employed in some other capacity, scouting, media word, etc, but surely this shows that there is some experienced heads available and we don't have to trawl the bottom of the barrel to find Rioch, a pensioner retired in Cornwall, Fletcher, a failed caretaker from the gargs, or Leroy, god bless him for what he did, but he's been a pundit for 5 years after his last 10 minute stay!!

Some out of work managers with recent experience in the lower leagues:
Micky Mellon (Decent shout, unlucky to lose job at Fleetwood)
Lee Bradbury (So so record at Bournmouth)
John Coleman (Possible seen better days)
Steve Cotterill (Accent would be perfect moy lover!!!!)
Nicky Forster (Was front runner before we went for Ling)
Simon Grayson (Did ok wit Leeds n Hudds)
Paul Hart (Maybe a bit old, but experienced and seems level headed)
Andy Thorn (Slightly dodgy at Coventry but seems a decent bloke and looks such a meathead he could double as a bouncer on the door at Boots'n'Laces!)

Out of them I'd go for Cotterill or even Atkins as mentioned before, no nonsense attitude, bit of passion, wallop.
There is no way that Steve Cotterill or Simon Grayson would come here. Both would be looking at a big club at League 1 level at the least, I should think. Out of the remainder on your list, Andy Thorn has not got a clue. An utter disaster at Coventry. Forster maybe ok if you had to start again at the start of the season but not at this interim stage, while Lee Bradbury did not really do much at Bournemouth. Paul Hart always gets the sack and does not strike me as a very good motivator. That leaves Coleman and Mellon, both managers I had thought could be in the frame and both with terrific records at non-league level. Coleman should probably never have left Accrington because it did not work for him at Rochdale, although I reckon he was possibly unlucky to lose his job there and it was likely the availability of Keith Hill hastened his departure from Spotland. I would not be doing cartwheels with Mellon or Coleman but then again, I wouldn't be too disappointed either. I think either could do a reasonable job and both probably in our budget range.
Dave Caldwell
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Dave Caldwell »

Paul Hart my manager at Chesterfield, is level headed and players would like him!

Do you not think Shaun Taylor has it in him to take on the challenge and someone support him?
Last edited by Dave Caldwell on 14 Feb 2013, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

ChineseGull wrote:I'm surprised that John Sitton hasn't been mentioned. He would soon motivate the lads with his passionate brand of management! Was treated very unfairly by Leyton Orient and deserves another go at management.
I'm hoping that this is a joke.
Dave Caldwell
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Dave Caldwell »

Who is John Sitton ???? I would take it on myself with names like that being banded about!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Dave Caldwell as manager. Now that would be a spot on appointment with certain supporters who remember the wholehearted committed performances of the legend.

:bow:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Dave Caldwell
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Dave Caldwell »

I am willing to help the club, have more experience and knowledge than most the manager's who have been posted, MR Chairman I am available in any capacity if I can help the club through this difficult period.
Dockers Pal
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by Dockers Pal »

Mellon is the Asst Manager at Barnsley. If you're interested in the number of ex-managers who've failed to turn around losing runs have a look at http://www.thesackrace/jobcentre.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by ROADRUNNER »

dave caldwell will always be welcome, a legend a warrior, if all our players were like him we would be in the premiership, get your name in dave :bow:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Mike Bassett : (former) England manager. :~D

I reckon Eric (Ricky) Tomlinson could do a better job for Torquay. :nod:
Dave Caldwell
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Dave Caldwell »

The problem with most chairmen is they will go for the best justifiable choice, we recycle managers who fail then recycle their knowledge and expect different results.

Albert Einstein said “insanity is continuing to do things the same way expecting the outcome to be different”

I bet you the chairman goes for the safe option!!!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Gordon McLeod of Scottish side Kilnockie would be a good manager, so would his alter ego Robert Duvall. ;-)

If you ain't seen "A Shot At Glory" you ain't gonna get it. :no:
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by ROADRUNNER »

:na:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

In all seriousness, I hope Martin Ling (Torquay manager) recovers from his illness.

I hope his debilitating illness is not madness. I've got that and those who try and have tried to cure me of it are the maddest of all. :nod: