Departures

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

tomogull wrote:Even before, when he was on loan and Buckle played him out of position in midfield, he did okay.
Selective memory springs up again.

When Oastler came here it was as a holding midfielder which is where he played most of his games for QPR reserves. The fact he can play right back (although not very well according to some posters, very well according to others) puts him in the same group as Mansell. He is a MIDFIELDER that can also play in another position.

Perhaps you are a recent convert to Plainmoor and didnt attend all those seasons ago (like 2010/11)??
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Sunnysideup wrote: Selective memory springs up again.

When Oastler came here it was as a holding midfielder which is where he played most of his games for QPR reserves. The fact he can play right back (although not very well according to some posters, very well according to others) puts him in the same group as Mansell. He is a MIDFIELDER that can also play in another position.

Perhaps you are a recent convert to Plainmoor and didnt attend all those seasons ago (like 2010/11)??
He had indeed played a lot of games in CM for QPR, but Warnock, his manager at the time, said he was a right full back. Perhaps you're a recent convert to plainmoor and missed this at the time?
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Arguments on here, the Rene Howe thread AND the Danny Stevens one. There is a lot of sand in vaginas today.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

Kit_robin wrote: He had indeed played a lot of games in CM for QPR, but Warnock, his manager at the time, said he was a right full back. Perhaps you're a recent convert to plainmoor and missed this at the time?
Incorrect.
Warnock said "I think his best position MAY turn out to be right back".
Selective memory again?
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
novicegull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by novicegull »

re: cambgulls comment

I know it's very sad but I do scour a lot of other clubs' forums and have to say that I think ours is the worst for bickering and slagging off our own players by a mile .

what does that tell me ? we are a passionate bunch
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

old gits :@
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

novicegull wrote:re: cambgulls comment

I know it's very sad but I do scour a lot of other clubs' forums and have to say that I think ours is the worst for bickering and slagging off our own players by a mile .

what does that tell me ? we are a passionate bunch
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Richinns wrote:Regards Joe Oastler - it is amazing how opinions change as the season progressed: (see below thread)
http://www.torquayfans.com/forum/viewto ... f=3&t=4786
Me - spot on. :-D
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

novicegull wrote:ffs chunkygull..... let's move on.....same old drivel. have you got a personal issue against oastler ? best thing you can do is go and buy your tufc shirt with tonge on the back, make up a song for him and go lick his a*sehole

calm down, cor blimey. im not the only one that didnt rate him you know.

anyway, of course i dont have anything personal against the lad, i dont even know him, i just happened to watch him play for my football team (very badly i might add) therefore as with everyone who thinks he was good i am allowed my opinion and i think he wasnt.

i said, and note, read it thoroughly 1 (one) of the worst right backs (not the worst or one of the worst players in general, there have been far worse) "I" (me, myself, my opinion) have seen in a torquay shirt.

i can only judge him on what i saw. i havent seen him that often to be fair because i havent been to games in the last few seasons as much as i would like to. (from what ive heard i didnt miss much).

opinions are subjective and from what i saw of the player he was poor, i am only judging him on what i saw. in the other games he may have been world class, but i didnt see them, but from what i have heard from friends, family and associates they didnt rate him either.

like i said he was poor in all the games i have seen him, especially vs barnet, a game we really needed to win, everyone had to step up to the mark and most did but he was the worst player on the pitch, i was sat in the family stand right in line with where he was playing (or where he was supposed to be) and trust me he was awful, his positioning, tackling, passing, everything. i was sat there despairing and thinking of some of the right backs we have had who were any good, and getting well uptight.

i never at any matches got on the lads back or had a go, i encourage and support every player who plays for our club, i want them all to play well and do well.

indeed, after the barnet game i wrote a bit about my take on the match in the matchday thread and although i wrote there were 2 players not good on the night and 1 in particular, i would not say who or slag either off. i said i would not slag off any player until the season had ended.and i didnt. that isnt very positve, supportive or productive and wouldnt do any good at all, especially if the player reads it.

even if i think a player is crap, i do hope next time or the time after they will play well and prove me wrong.

after all isnt that one of the reasons why we continue to keep going to watch our club, even when they are rubbish and not playing well we keep turning up and hoping this time we will play well, this time we will win.its the same way i think with individual players.most players have bad spells and we keep supporting them , hoping they click, play well and get it right.

i mentioned my rating of the player when we were talking about retain or release AFTER the season finished.

like i said its not personal, just a different opinion, i can only say what i have seen.there have been worse, i didnt call him the worst just one of the worst, which just means he isnt great or good or one of the best.

however i do wish him well, thank him for his services, best wishes and good luck, i hope he finds himself another club and proves me wrong.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Chunky, you don't have to justify it mate. The response from novicegull is exactly what I was talking about earlier on another thread about some people questioning opinions in an unacceptable, inappropriate and childish manner. This is one such example.

You saw him and thought he was crap, fair do's but no need for the aggressive post from novicegull. What is he? Oastlers dad or something?

I thought Oastler was a really good player for the most part when i'd seen him and I was a bit disappointed to see him released. In his first season he was great for us and ok he had a shocker last season but Bodin had one too and people are willing to give him another chance this. Before people pipe up about me and the Bodin thing again, i'm merely using him to highlight my point. It's not another personal dig. So all in all I reckon Oastler was worth another season to prove himself to Knill but he's gone now and we move on.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I (and everyone else) thought Joe did alright (well, in a number of instances) as an ever present member of the best defence in the division two years ago. At the time, defensively, he was very good and it showed. Last year, he was no better and no worse than the players around him.
As I said before, the surprise for me is that, a year from now he'll likely be in the depths of the Non-League, where as Macklin (deemed to have absolutely no redeeming qualities by about three dozen managers) manages to find another League club.
That said, this is all totally irrelevant, since I drive an orange car, or some shit... :clap:

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

novicegull wrote:ffs chunkygull..... let's move on.....same old drivel. have you got a personal issue against oastler ? best thing you can do is go and buy your tufc shirt with tonge on the back, make up a song for him and go lick his a*sehole
just to clarify something, i wont be putting any players name on the back of a torquay shirt any time soon because there is no chance in hell of me buying that thing we will be wearing next season. :no:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Opinions on players can and do change, there really is nothing wrong with that and just because someone may post critcism of a player doesn't allways mean they personaly dislike and or have an agenda does it.

Opinions can change for the better, a prime example of that is Brian saah, a player widely slammed as dreadful when he first arrived and not just on this board, who over time won fans over and now most argee he will be hard to replace.

Joe Oastler is a player who went the other way and badly, at the start of the season I posted myself a number of times I believed he was making to many mistakes, but he is a young in-experienced player, I also said he had potential and at that time I believed he did.

Those who have done coaching courses will know its often drummed into to you 'let the game be the teacher' At some point you expect a player to learn from mistakes. Low confidence is soemthing that is worked on, on the training ground, with coaching and advice, confidence along with mistakes should repair itself over a period of time.

And thats why my opinion changed, because the mistakes I believed Joe was making in August/September were still evident in January/February and on to the end of the season, there then becomes a point where you have to ask yourself is it really confidence, is it really the coaching or does the lad just have a big flaw in his game.

I would suggest Alan Knill believed he joe had flaw in his game, that he AK believed the club did not have the time and money to spend fixing or believed Joe had a flaw that simply could not be fixed, because no League 2 manager worth his salt would let go a player of Joe's age who he believed had the potential to blossom into something that could be sold on, not for any reason including having a player like Dale Tonge lined up, who would never earn the club a transfer fee.
Formerly known as forevertufc
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

:goodpost:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

Aldershot's friendly against Eastleigh today not only has Joe Oastler once again featuring in the Shots line up (he's actually scored for them today as well), but also a certain Danny Stevens. Probably about his level.