Torquay United set for a take over ?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Really ??? Who ?
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

People keep saying overpaid but looking at the numbers it seems like most were given pretty average League Two contracts which have subsequently been reduced on relegation. I'm not aware that we have anyone earning over £2000 a week - which yes, does seem like a lot but in the world of professional football at this level (this level being a Football League club last season) really isn't out of the ordinary.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

PhilGull wrote:People keep saying overpaid but looking at the numbers it seems like most were given pretty average League Two contracts which have subsequently been reduced on relegation. I'm not aware that we have anyone earning over £2000 a week - which yes, does seem like a lot but in the world of professional football at this level (this level being a Football League club last season) really isn't out of the ordinary.
:goodpost: Totally agree, I'm done trying to point this out to those letting their personal emotions re; Alan Knill get in the way of any real thought process, decent League 2 players wouldn't get out bed for anything less than a 2 year contract on + £1000 a week, the overwhelming majority of our players weren't on anything like top league 2 wages, I'm led to believe only two players were.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

forevertufc wrote: :goodpost: Totally agree, I'm done trying to point this out to those letting their personal emotions re; Alan Knill get in the way of any real thought process, decent League 2 players wouldn't get out bed for anything less than a 2 year contract on + £1000 a week, the overwhelming majority of our players weren't on anything like top league 2 wages, I'm led to believe only two players were.

You are both right, the issue is that the higher wages at our club were given to players who were NOT "decent league 2 players", they were given to Hawley (useless, now found his level), Tonge (who many agree isn't good enough to be in our side this year), Harding (yet to show his true form, perhaps, but has been useless for us) and pearce (looked good, still a decent signing, but undoubtedly the third best CB on performances this season).

At a club like ours, you cannot have 3 of your top 6 earners out of the team for being useless. We need all our senior players to be good enough to play, with the lower paid kids and pros in the last chance saloon making up the rest.

Knill is responsible because he is the manager who identified these players as being worthy of the money, when all but one have proved otherwise. Hargreaves has suffered because he has to limp on with these players. Our clubs problem may be that next year may be a season too late to shift them, as the saving made in moving them on may only be used to cover our further loss of revenue. I believe that if Hargreaves had had the benefit of that money this season, based on his 'bigger' signings, we would be doing better than we are now.

All this brings in to focus the immediate need of progress off the field at Plainmoor, be it new ideas, new investment, or a complete takeover. For me, whatever happens has to include a complete remodelling of the club, as if Thea is unwilling to sub any more money (fair enough), then with the lack of non-footballing income at Plainmoor a future of top half conference/bottom 5 league 2 is probably the best we can hope for.
4everyellow
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by 4everyellow »

Dutchgull wrote:Really ??? Who ?
Anyone who knows the property market in PAIGNTON and Torquay know who. If you don't know just Google it, shouldn't take long there aren't that many Directors to choose from.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

forevertufc wrote: :goodpost: Totally agree, I'm done trying to point this out to those letting their personal emotions re; Alan Knill get in the way of any real thought process, decent League 2 players wouldn't get out bed for anything less than a 2 year contract on + £1000 a week, the overwhelming majority of our players weren't on anything like top league 2 wages, I'm led to believe only two players were.
I agree with what both of you are saying - the wages we offered are not ridiculous for League 2 players. The overpaid comments are more reflective of the abilities and performances that these players (Tonge, Benyon, Harding, Hawley) showed on the pitch this year and last, but nobody was to know that would be the case.

I have a bigger issue with the length of contract offered to some of these players, and it is this which has caused the problems this season. At their age, we should not have agreed to give two year deals to Hawley and Tonge. If it was a deal breaker in signing them then we should have walked away and looked elsewhere. Benyon had no other options (to my knowledge) and given his form over the previous few years was a risk to sign on a two year deal. This is where the problem lies, rather than in the wages offered.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

4everyellow wrote: Anyone who knows the property market in PAIGNTON and Torquay know who. If you don't know just Google it, shouldn't take long there aren't that many Directors to choose from.
There is a whole world of difference between some who is cash rich, and someone who asset rich, cash poor. Take someone who owns say 10 houses, value say £5 million, he may for argument sake have £3million worth of mortgages on those properties, that person would not be a millionaire until all properties were sold, and tax liabilities were paid .
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Kit Robin, Leetufc Get where both of you are coming from. The point for is; Hawley had scored 11 goals in League 1 with a struggling side the season before he came to TUFC, Dale Tonge had been a League 1 play-off winner, and had 210 career games between League 2 and the Championship, Ben Harding a conference champion and the season before he joined us had been a League 2 play-off finalist.

All the evidence suggested all three of these players were going to be more than good enough to help progress our team, why didn't they ? Harding to be fair has been unlucky two major injuries have prevented him from showing us what he's capable of, maybe Hawley and Tonge didn't settle here, who knows, no one can deny these players had career experience that should have made them decent signings for any League 2 club.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

forevertufc wrote: There is a whole world of difference between some who is cash rich, and someone who asset rich, cash poor. Take someone who owns say 10 houses, value say £5 million, he may for argument sake have £3million worth of mortgages on those properties, that person would not be a millionaire until all properties were sold, and tax liabilities were paid .
Precisely. In fact many businessmen have little assets just huge loans but lead an extravagant lifestyle, Ive known of a few. In fact if we had sold everything we owned I would have been richer, and I can tell you, that's saying something!!
TUST MEMBER
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

forevertufc wrote:Kit Robin, Leetufc Get where both of you are coming from. The point for is; Hawley had scored 11 goals in League 1 with a struggling side the season before he came to TUFC, Dale Tonge had been a League 1 play-off winner, and had 210 career games between League 2 and the Championship, Ben Harding a conference champion and the season before he joined us had been a League 2 play-off finalist.

All the evidence suggested all three of these players were going to be more than good enough to help progress our team, why didn't they ? Harding to be fair has been unlucky two major injuries have prevented him from showing us what he's capable of, maybe Hawley and Tonge didn't settle here, who knows, no one can deny these players had career experience that should have made them decent signings for any League 2 club.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

leetufc wrote: The overpaid comments are more reflective of the abilities and performances that these players (Tonge, Benyon, Harding, Hawley) showed on the pitch this year and last, but nobody was to know that would be the case.

Hammer - nail - hit full on.

There are a multitude or reasons why these players have failed, but they(supposedly)are professionals and what stands a full time pro apart from an amateur/non contract/part timer is the ability to overcome hurdles that prevent the aforementioned from breaking into the full time "closed shop".

It appears some of the current squad dont give a dam about their future prospects and will soon be stocking shelves in supermarkets. Those who DO give a dam need to get their f in fingers out and hope they will secure future employment as paid professionals, albeit at a lower league level when released at the season's end.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Trojan 67 wrote:
Hammer - nail - hit full on.

There are a multitude or reasons why these players have failed, but they(supposedly)are professionals and what stands a full time pro apart from an amateur/non contract/part timer is the ability to overcome hurdles that prevent the aforementioned from breaking into the full time "closed shop".

It appears some of the current squad dont give a dam about their future prospects and will soon be stocking shelves in supermarkets. Those who DO give a dam need to get their f in fingers out and hope they will secure future employment as paid professionals, albeit at a lower league level when released at the season's end.
the thing that I find bizarre Troj me ol' cock is that the penny doesn't drop with these players sooner..... :-/
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Trojan 67 wrote: It appears some of the current squad dont give a dam about their future prospects and will soon be stocking shelves in supermarkets.
Isn't that what many said about Nicho, myself included, and many said the same about manse as well, one look at the league table suggests both went on the bigger and better things. Do not agree with you, I look at Pearce, Harding, Chapell at a push Cameron as well if he can re-discover his form and confidence, all of these players will get professional deals at other conference, possibly league 2 clubs, and personally think it's nonsense to suggest otherwise. Had Tonge stayed fit think it's likely he would have got something as well, he might have a problem now.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Gullscorer wrote:Kelvin Thomas wants your opinions and suggestions: http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 26830.aspx
We all need to take advantage of this opportunity-no excuses if you can't be there face-face ping him an email and let Kelvin Thomas know what you think.No good just moaning and whingeing in my view-constructive criticism with realistic proposals for changing things.
Don't just post on here post to Mr. T now!