York City v Torquay United 25/3/14

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Northampton concede later equaliser.
So frustrating that haven't lost ground over the last few weeks (still 6 points) but can't get 2 or 3 good results in a row that would start to claw back the gap.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

standupsitdown wrote:Northampton concede later equaliser.
So frustrating that haven't lost ground over the last few weeks (still 6 points) but can't get 2 or 3 good results in a row that would start to claw back the gap.
Just goes to show how sh*t this league really is. We should be down, out of it, relegated by now with our results in recent months. We need positive consistent results from now on, simple as that.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

standupsitdown wrote:Northampton concede later equaliser.
Not bothered. It's just extending the pain, it doesn't matter anymore we are simply not good enough to make the ground up, we are going down and the sooner the club(and fans) accept that the better, so that we can at least plan next season with some certainty.

We simply lack QUALITY, BELIEF, GUTS and HEART. Ashamed of this bunch of players that wear the shirt this season. :@
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Yet again concede what sounds like a poor goal
Have more shots and more on target
More corners

but it doesn't go in the net for us

Roll on Southend!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

CP Gull wrote: Not bothered. It's just extending the pain, it doesn't matter anymore we are simply not good enough to make the ground up, we are going down and the sooner the club(and fans) accept that the better, so that we can at least plan next season with some certainty.

We simply lack QUALITY, BELIEF, GUTS and HEART. Ashamed of this bunch of players that wear the shirt this season. :@
Add to that the board and those at the top of the club who have been completely feckless for the last two years. For those who supposedly 'have their hearts in the right place' they are about to leave the same legacy as what Mike Bateson and Chris Roberts managed.
The original taunton_gull!!!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Another 1-0 defeat. There didn't seem anything at all between the sides but as usual we lose. We had one or two good results and the same pattern is followed - a run of more defeats.
You can guarantee that the first three players signed for next season will be Mansell,Nicholson and Stevens.
We just don't have any players who can score goals - in fact Hargreaves has tried all of them to no avail whatsoever.
Despie losing every game 1-0 we have had a zillion and one opportunities to have kept ourselves in touch but have blown the lot. Northampton,Accrington,Chesterfield,Cheltenham,Newport and now tonight. With the exception of Chesterfield we have lost them all by one goal and in the Chesterfield game we managed to commit hari kari with the game there for the taking.
Its completely galling - it also seems that Hargreaves was completely the wrong choice. He has just signed a barrel load of shit as well.
Absolute embarassment really.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

In all fairness to Bateson he never actually took us down. At least with Bateson you would get some explanation - this lot are just faceless.
Did we learn the lessons of last season - did we ****.
And the best the board can do is to announce that season tickets will be the same price next year. Fantastic.
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

True, I was more referring to the decision to sell to Roberts and then the bungled chain of events which ended him getting the club back before the non-league adventure began. However you're right, don't get me wrong I despised the bloke for what went on when he was here but the one thing you could count on was communication and a straight answer from him. These days the programme notes from the 'top brass' are embarassing and simply highlight the collective incompetence present at the club.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

On way home. Going into the game I retained a glimmer of hope that we could get ourselves out of this mess but after watching that rubbish I am certain that we will be relegated over Easter.

We were dreadful in the first half. Didn't look up for the fight, flimsy at the back, slow at closing down players, midfield invisible and attack impotent. York's goal appeared to take a deflection (we were at the opposite end so hard to see) and 1-0 flattered us at the break because we were being outplayed in every area of the pitch. We didn't threaten to score until the end of the half when Showunmi headed a corner over and Mansell had a free-kick tipped around the post.

Start of the second half was just as bad. York had chances to put us out of our misery - one after Nicholson inexplicably tried to head the ball back to Rice but left it short - and it appeared only a matter of time before they would bag a second goal. However, after about an hour they started to sit back and seemed content with their solitary strike. We pressed forward and enjoyed spells of possession and even carved out a a couple of half-chances - the best of which fell to Downes with his header from a Bodin free-kick well saved. But once again it was our inability to turn possession into goals that cost us.

Our strikers simply aren't good enough. Showunmi was a complete carthorse who should be sent back to Notts County, Benyon completely ineffective and Yeoman and Stockley struggled to make an impact when they came on. But none of them received any decent service. Bodin and Thompson showed flashes but couldn't provide the final ball, Harding had a mare and Mansell just ran about a lot. I lost count how many times somebody had a chance to shoot on the edge of the box but refused to pull the trigger.

In defence, Nicholson had a stinker, while O'Connor played ok but didn't get forward much. Downes was fairly solid and Pearce was again our best player although even he struggled in the first half. Rice helpless for the shambles in front of him.

We need a massive clear-out in the summer. I just hope our contracted players have a relegation release clause. I'm only bothered about keeping Pearce, Downes, the keepers, Bodin (very frustrating again tonight but at least tried to make something happen) and Lathrope who is better than Mansell and Harding.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I don't actual think that it would have taken that much to keep us up either. Just maybe one of two decent signings.
Just look at what Hargreaves has signed.
Cooper - waste of space.
Stevens - worse than useless
Goodwin - average
Showwaddywaddy - no goals
O'Brien - no goals
Wilkinson - no goals
Stockley - no goals
Thats a whole bunch of ridiculous signings.
Look at Tisdale - signed err Elliott Richards - two goals saturday and scored the winner tonight.
Is it any wonder that we are going down?
The two glaring weaknesses in our team were are left back position and our inability to score goals.
So what does Hargreaves do ? - make his best mate automatic choice at left back (and he was the fecking problem in the first place)
And sign seventeen forwards who cannot manage a goal between them.
Go and stand in front the class with the dunces cap on Chris - because your actually as clueless as the buffoon you replaced.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

brucie wrote:I don't actual think that it would have taken that much to keep us up either. Just maybe one of two decent signings.
Just look at what Hargreaves has signed.
Cooper - waste of space.
Stevens - worse than useless
Goodwin - average
Showwaddywaddy - no goals
O'Brien - no goals
Wilkinson - no goals
Stockley - no goals
Thats a whole bunch of ridiculous signings.
Look at Tisdale - signed err Elliott Richards - two goals saturday and scored the winner tonight.
Is it any wonder that we are going down?
The two glaring weaknesses in our team were are left back position and our inability to score goals.
So what does Hargreaves do ? - make his best mate automatic choice at left back (and he was the fecking problem in the first place)
And sign seventeen forwards who cannot manage a goal between them.
Go and stand in front the class with the dunces cap on Chris - because your actually as clueless as the buffoon you replaced.
Amen.

I like Hargreaves as a person, but inexperience is no excuse for poor judgement.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Total waste of f£$%^%^%£%^^$^&*& time!!!!! Next year this time we'll be saying the same as TUFC drop into the Conf South, then Southern league, Western \league, South Devon league etc. Boll*&s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@
Oblivion!!!!
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

I know a fans forum was suggested a little while ago, once relegation is confirmed this surely is a must. Of course the board will get flak but if they expect anyone to pay to watch Torquay United next year they have to demonstrate accountability and provide much needed answers to supporters.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

just got in.

oh dear.

we were shocking in the first half but at least gave it a go second half.
the only players to come out with any credit were pearce, downes and ricey - the usual suspects i suppose.

the annoying thing was they wernt much better and it boiled down to them having the ability/luck to stick the ball in the net. it looked like it was deflected, and many will be rueing are luck, but the bottom line is that we arnt good enough.

just like many previous occasions our inability to keep a clean sheet has cost us yet another point.

CH has no idea.it was crying out to go 3 at the back as they wernt doing anything second half.

great to meet andy, ben, alex and gazzableedsgull who still owes me a pint the dirty leeds sod.

hope the southerners who visited gods country have a safe trip back dont worry guys and gals its only another 5hrs..........
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Just checked the line-up for tonight. Lathrope on the bench and Harding starts - I DO NOT BELIEVE IT !!!!!! Mansell and Harding in central midfield at the beginning of the season was an utter disaster and now Hargreaves is pairing them together again. I have come around to SuperNickWroe's opinion that an experienced manager should have been appointed, or an experienced manager who could have worked alongside Hargreaves until the end of the season.